News   Jul 12, 2024
 883     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 793     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 330     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

thecharioteer,quite the prolific last few days from you, even moreso than the usual.

Those "showgirls"; interesting that the era is obviously the 30s. I wonder what building they performed in?

August 28 addition.

Then July, 13, 1937.

f1231_it1446.jpg

Now. August 2010.

DSC_0570.jpg

thecharioteer,quite the prolific last few days from you, even moreso than the usual.

Those "showgirls"; interesting that the era is obviously the 30s. I wonder what building they performed in?

August 28 addition.

Then July, 13, 1937.

f1231_it1446.jpg

Now. August 2010.

DSC_0570.jpg

Mustapha: Is that the Dufferin Gate at the entrance to the CNE grounds and the bridge over the Lakeshore rail line below?
I have not looked or posted in the City Photos section recently...I know I have missed plenty here! LI MIKE

Mustapha: Is that the Dufferin Gate at the entrance to the CNE grounds and the bridge over the Lakeshore rail line below?
I have not looked or posted in the City Photos section recently...I know I have missed plenty here! LI MIKE

LI MIKE, correct on both counts!

From Wikepedia:

"Dufferin Gates
The parabolic Dufferin Gates

The Dufferin Gates are the western-most pedestrian entranceway to the CNE grounds. Named after Lord Dufferin, the original gate to the CNE grounds was named in his honour, situated at the bottom of Dufferin Street. The original gateway was erected in 1895, and was superseded by a more permanent, ornate Beaux-Arts style triumphal arch built in 1910, and officially re-opened by Lord Dufferin in 1914.

When Toronto's Gardiner Expressway was built in 1956, the gates had to be demolished in order to make way for the roadway. In their place a modernist-style parabolic arch was erected 50 ft (15 m) south of the previous gates in 1956, designed Philip R. Brock. The current arch is built around a steel frame and concrete, with brick at the base. It is 65 ft (20 m) high and spans 74 ft (23 m) in width. "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhibition_Place

August 29 addition.

Then. CNE grounds looking E. The Bingo building, surmounted by five golden stars in the right centre distance [demolished]; used to award live budgies in cages as one of the choice of prizes - so winners would walk about the CNE grounds carrying same trying not to look too conspicuous.

I0005604.jpg

Now. August 24, 2010. NE corner of BMO Field is behind the picture taker.

DSC_0571.jpg

As do I. I was reminiscing about just that on Saturday as I went into the Food Building after the TFC v Real Salt Lake match.

1960%20CNE%20circa%201960.jpg

Me three. It added a touch that everyone could enjoy.

August 31 addition.

I have one more CNE Then and Now after this one:

Then. December 19, 1911.

This set of views... I am not certain that my modern view is correct. On the right of of the 1911 Then picture is the Music Building and beyond it, a police station. Various sources on the web say that the present fire station was built in 1912. Was the police station the site of the current fire station? I am assuming so for no particular good reason. Perhaps someone can find a map of 1911 CNE?

s0372_ss0058_it0097.jpg

Now. August 24 2010. I realize now that I am several yards behind the the position of the original photographer; he would have been standing (purporting to stand) about where the people are standing waiting to board the "people mover". Not a great afternoon for me that day. It was hot and large soft drinks hinder rather than help ones acuities.

DSC_0639.jpg

August 31 addition.
Then. December 19, 1911.

This set of views... I am not certain that my modern view is correct. On the right of of the 1911 Then picture is the Music Building and beyond it, a police station. Various sources on the web say that the present fire station was built in 1912. Was the police station the site of the current fire station? I am assuming so for no particular good reason. Perhaps someone can find a map of 1911 CNE?

s0372_ss0058_it0097.jpg

You beat me to it, Mustapha.
I've been carrying around that old photo in anticipation of a visit to the CNE.
Hope to go this week.
Think I read somewhere that the police station became the fire hall.
I'll attempt my own "Then & Now" in any case!

Here is Goad's from 1910 - marked up with changes.
The Railway Building is now the Music Building.

e010757094-v8.jpg

Thanks much Anna and wwwebster.

My hunch was right. My Now picture was pointed in the right direction - NNE - but I needed to be about 60 feet further up.

For those of us with the curiosity and time; Anna's and wwebsters maps of the CNE grounds show buildings such as "Art [Gallery]", "Dairy Building", and "Dogs".

If you enter search term "exhibition" into the Toronto archives search site you'll get about 1084 results; including these long gone buildings.

September 1 addition.

More CNE...

Then. "CNE waterfront Feb 3 1919".

f1244_it1733.jpg

Now. August 24, 2010.

DSC_1906.jpg

September 2 addition.

Then. CNE Transportation Building. 1905 - 1974. (Destroyed by fire).

IntlBldgcnebetween1950and74.jpg

Now. August 24, 2010.

DSC_1897.jpg

Last edited:

Back