News   Jul 12, 2024
 804     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 731     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 307     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

At 30 Wellington East, COCO's Deli, half is not working, but neon none the less.

Kay is the propietress.*

Regards,
J T

*See, I do use my dikionery!

I remember our online conversation awhile back about the Patrician Grill near King and Frederick; their sign is working and an especially nice one.

""propietress". Expert piemaker?" QUOTE. Mustapha.

Yes, sheppard's pie, c/w honeymoon salad!

Regards,
J T

September 12 addition.

Then. "Peter st. north from southside Richmond st." Slightly confusing photo caption... that's Richmond street at the stop sign.

July 12, 1949. Ee-eew, Steam Baths.

peternfromrichmond.jpg

Now. June 2010.

DSC_0294.jpg

The widening of all the streets in King/Spadina in terms of the public realm was not a good thing. Not to reactivate the mythical "war on the car", some of these lost ROW's should be reclaimed for pedestrians. Perhaps if we had an Urban Design section in City Hall that actually did urban design instead of interfering with development applications, this could already be on the books as the area transitions away from Clubland (an issue for Councillor Vaughan to take up?).

BTW, Mustapha, you don't like steam baths?

Finally made a trip to Exhibition Park, although I missed the CNE this year.
I particularly wanted to attempt this 'Then & Now' which is similar to Mustapha's recent effort.

TNCNEMusicBuilding1911.jpg

Then I made the long walk to the other end of the park to get this.

TNCNEAuromotiveBldg1935.jpg

My attempt to recreate the scene of this blurred 1909 image of Prince Edward was a failure!

TNCNEEdwardPrinceofWales1909.jpg

The walk to the east end of Exhibition Patk revealed this unique perspective.

PrincesGatesnewbackdrop.jpg

Last edited:
September 12 addition.

Then. "Peter st. north from southside Richmond st." Slightly confusing photo caption... that's Richmond street at the stop sign.

July 12, 1949. Ee-eew, Steam Baths.

peternfromrichmond.jpg

Now. June 2010.

DSC_0294.jpg

Is it possible that in 1963 the jog connecting Richmond east and west of Peter had not yet been implemented?

1910:

richmondmap-1.jpg

Today:

richmondmaptoday.jpg

Last edited:
My wall map of the city, 1958 VERIPRINT SERVICE (PERLY'S) show no jog at that intersection, bearing in mind,

they were wrong about the lay of the land at Mimico Creek south of the rail line for over three decades!

Regards,
J T

Is it possible that in 1963 the jog connecting Richmond east and west of Peter had not yet been implemented?

That second building on the right is in the path of Richmond St. now.
peternfromrichmond.jpg

I found these before and afters of 'capital works' at Richmond and Peter dated 'between 1977 and 1998'.

s1465_fl0032_id0007.jpg

s1465_fl0032_id0004.jpg

We should put together a series of photos looking down one-way streets the "wrong" way (i.e. Queens Park Crescent East looking south, York looking south, Adelaide looking west, Richmond looking east.....). It's a whole new way of looking at familiar scenes.

richmond.jpg

Long time lurker, here!

That's an eery picture. I worked at Bay and Richmond from 2007-2009 (I'm fairly young) and recognized that intersection immediately. It's changed very little (even though that building on the NW corner is either gone or drastically renovated). I worked in the building on the SE corner.

I was born in 1981 so I don't have a ton of memories of old Toronto, but weirdly, seeing a lot of the pics from the 60s/70s reminds me of the Toronto I used to know as a child when my dad would take me to the Ex for a blue jays game or something. Did downtown Toronto change very much from the 60s to the late 80s, or would the changes from ~1990-2010 be considered much more dramatic or what?

Last edited:

I don't know why the "1963" number, since the older photo is more plausible as 1949. Anyway, if it were implemented at any time, it might have been part of the 1960s one-waying + DVP-connecting of Rich-Ad...

The widening of all the streets in King/Spadina in terms of the public realm was not a good thing. Not to reactivate the mythical "war on the car", some of these lost ROW's should be reclaimed for pedestrians. Perhaps if we had an Urban Design section in City Hall that actually did urban design instead of interfering with development applications, this could already be on the books as the area transitions away from Clubland (an issue for Councillor Vaughan to take up?).

BTW, Mustapha, you don't like steam baths?

Reclaiming these "lost ROWS" would be a good thing to my way of thinking too. For one, this would give us meaningful space for things like restaurant patios and - more seriously - separation of pedestrian from automobile. Latterly by this I mean that the act of being a pedestrian would be made less stressful by not having cars pound by at 70km/hr an armslength away (has anyone noticed the trend for larger SUVs being agressively driven?). Stepping 6 paces north from the entrance of the ScotiaBank theatre puts you off the sidewalk and onto a Richmond street that resembles a limited access freeway.

In parallel with this, a serious attitude adjustment needs to be done on driver mindsets. We need to get about half the cars in the core off the roads now. That idea of a fee for out of area drivers to drive downtown makes great sense. It would be even more democratic if it were applied on certain days for cars with licenses ending with odd or even numbers... and you would still pay.

Steam baths? I have nothing against them. It's just that something draws me to look into the smoked glass window at my GoodLife gym sauna and something within seems to stare back at me. :)

Last edited:
Long time lurker, here!

That's an eery picture. I worked at Bay and Richmond from 2007-2009 (I'm fairly young) and recognized that intersection immediately. It's changed very little (even though that building on the NW corner is either gone or drastically renovated). I worked in the building on the SE corner.

I was born in 1981 so I don't have a ton of memories of old Toronto, but weirdly, seeing a lot of the pics from the 60s/70s reminds me of the Toronto I used to know as a child when my dad would take me to the Ex for a blue jays game or something. Did downtown Toronto change very much from the 60s to the late 80s, or would the changes from ~1990-2010 be considered much more dramatic or what?

Welcome moe45673. That building on the NW corner was the Temple Building; 1895 - 1970.

Perhaps others will take a stab at your question but I will say "that depends". Certainly the major towers in the financial district of downtown - along King, Bay, York and University, were put in place in the 60s to the late 80s. I would say that less skyline changing construction was done in your second time frame ("1990-2010"). Others here might think differently and cite stats to support their case. This is just off the top of my head.

Even if we use your memories of the "Ex" as a example; within a few hundred yards radius of your Blue Jays memories: Exhibition Stadium is gone, now a trailer park for Midway employees. Your dad would have taken you past the Hockey Hall of Fame to the Food Building for a snack - the Hockey Hall is gone, replaced by the entrance gates to BMO Field.

So, much has changed at the Ex, yet much is also familiar.

Finally made a trip to Exhibition Park, although I missed the CNE this year.
I particularly wanted to attempt this 'Then & Now' which is similar to Mustapha's recent effort.

TNCNEMusicBuilding1911.jpg

Those "long gone" buildings are identified on these maps that Anna dug up a couple of weeks ago.

Here is Goad's from 1910 - marked up with changes.
The Railway Building is now the Music Building.

e010757094-v8.jpg

September 13 addition.

There's been so much added to this thread recently that I think the contributions should be read leisurely and dwelt upon. Therefore I don't wish to add a new daily unrelated Then and Now. (Although that hasn't stopped me in the past :) ).

I will take a 24 hour break and add instead a restaurant review. I think I did this in the past. So, instead of contemplating past yesterdays, let us contemplate where we might go to eat tomorrow.

666 Dundas Street West. Closed Tuesdays. Here is my review: the food here is fresh, well prepared, large portioned and inexpensive. The service is excellent.

DSCF3146.jpg

This is a curry flavoured noodle stir fry. "Singapore Noodles".

DSCF3149.jpg

This dish has it all. That black stuff on top is a kind of seaweed.

DSCF3151.jpg

I think that it can be a good thing for body and planet to have more vegetarian dishes in ones diet. One doesn't need to actually become a vegetarian, just eat less meat.

Favourite restaurant of the 80's - 90's, KAM KUK YUEN n/s Dundas, east of Spadina.

Favourite dish - chile pickle noodle soup, without the soup.

Regards,
J T

Sorry JT, I was editing - while you were reading - and messed up - deleting - hence your remarks seemingly before my post.

The "Lo Mein" type of dish you describe is one of my faves too. :)

Back