News   Jul 12, 2024
 829     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 747     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 317     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

I wonder how old the Crocodile Rock building is; the canopy already looked tattered in 1952...

I wonder how old the Crocodile Rock building is; the canopy already looked tattered in 1952...

HUGE windows on that building. Built for a purpose; drafting office?

September 10 addition.

Then. October 16, 1952 for the third time. Our photographer was busy in this area that day. I wonder why?

Duncan looking S from the north side of Queen.

duncansfromqueen.jpg

Now. June 2010. The modern street is wider. Those sandwich bars on the left are still there but serving up something else.

DSC_0286.jpg

The author (Daniel G Hill) subsequently wrote Hill, Daniel G. The freedom-seekers : Blacks in early Canada / Daniel G. Hill.
Toronto : Stoddart, 1992. I have not checked but assume that at least some of his thesis research is in it too.

September 11 addition.

Then. Peter N from King. July 12, 1949.

Note the "Blackhall" sign painted on the side of the building.

peternfromking.jpg

Now. June 2010.

DSC_0290.jpg

Our sign is still there. Perhaps refreshed since 1949 since there are differences but certainly not touched up recently.

DSC_0292.jpg

The author (Daniel G Hill) subsequently wrote Hill, Daniel G. The freedom-seekers : Blacks in early Canada / Daniel G. Hill.
Toronto : Stoddart, 1992. I have not checked but assume that at least some of his thesis research is in it too.

And he is, as many know, the father of singer/songwriter/musician Dan Hill.

It's been awhile. I can always depend on this thread to keep me up late at night and away from things I should be doing. Great work folks. I love this thread.

Sept 10 Remixed Duncan south from Queen 1952

Alden

4980431837_30460ea6e5_b.jpg

www.torontobefore.ca

Then. Peter N from King. July 12, 1949.

Note the "Blackhall" sign painted on the side of the building.

And also note the druggy continuity on the NW corner (though one wishes for the old neon in lieu of postmodern alteration)

that's quite a mind blowing fact!

i mean, sometimes when we touch, the honesty's too much, and i have to close my eyes and hide.

Amazing how the passage of time and overplay have rendered this song almost unlistenable today. For me anyways.

September 12 addition.

Then. "Peter st. north from southside Richmond st." Slightly confusing photo caption... that's Richmond street at the stop sign.

July 12, 1949. Ee-eew, Steam Baths.

peternfromrichmond.jpg

Now. June 2010.

DSC_0294.jpg

Last edited:
And also note the druggy continuity on the NW corner (though one wishes for the old neon in lieu of postmodern alteration)

Trying to think where I've seen neon in the downtown core lately and I'm drawing a - almost - a blank. I can only think of the "Goof" restaurant on Queen street in the Beaches. What's left is worthy of documentation. They are certainly not creating any new neon signs.

The house just to the south of the grey-painted falafel shop sold recently. It was built in 1871 and had been owned by the same family for years. It most recently was a rooming house with a parking lot in the back.
Isn't that view looking north towards Richmond?
http://www.tobuilt.ca/php/tobuildings_more.php?search_fd3=3195
122-124Peter.jpg

"Isn't that view looking north towards Richmond?"

Quite right Anna., I've corrected my post.

Interesting also how the Falafel restaurant building has been built in front of the house in the Then picture. Common enough in our urban landscape but always neat to see; most times what is left of the original building is left to moulder - and perhaps scully :) back there.

Anna, your "1871 house": I've always wondered how it has managed to survive down to the present day given its value as a commercial location.

Back