News   Jul 12, 2024
 972     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 844     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 344     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Here's a view of the area from 1936. Cherry Street proceeds south from Eastern in the upper right of the image:

https://gencat4.eloquent-systems.co...source//ser372/ss0033/s0372_ss0033_it0092.jpg

Virgin Place...

There are a couple Toronto Archive pics of this laneway street. This aerial view confirms the location of the photographer in those views. One of them shows Inglenook school poking above the rooftops. I'll have to go down and take a picture. Unless someone else beats me to it. :)

Thanks wwwebster!

August 24 addition

Chocolate Disaster.

Then. "1909?" Neilson Building collapse. Gladstone Avenue.

f1244_it7094.jpg

Now. July 2010.

DSC_0313.jpg

"I don't know why I said "Rotunda" when I should have said "Cyclorama" . . . QUOTE. adma.

Your thoughts were mixed:
Cyclorama/Rotundra/Rotunda Building/The "Glass House". The latter two describe FOMOCO WORLD HEADQUARTERS,
built by "THE DUCE", - Henry Ford II, Ultimately, the open-air interoir was covered by none other than a
Buckminster Fullers' "DYMAXION GEODYSIC DOME".

Regards,
J T

Speaking of Rotondas:

The Pantheon, Rome (118 CE):

Pantheon-panini.jpg

Villa Capra ("La Rotonda"), Vicenza, by Andrea Palladio (1591):

Villa_Rotonda_side2.jpg

These old Eaton's catalogs - or others like it - such as old Sears catalogs - have been reprinted in the past although not recently and are always an interesting read. It was always interesting to me how one could order fertilizer, underwear and a semi-automatic Colt pistol from one source. I wonder if any old Eatons catalogs are online?

Last edited:
August 25 addition.

Then. Bay street. About 100 meters south of Dundas, on the east side looking northwest. This old transformer building has out-survived everything around it.

f1231_it0617.jpg

Now. July 2010.

CSC_0277.jpg

thanks for that....
that's a very beautiful, and under-appreciated building. i wonder what the interior looks like....

Was but a trifle to do for you thedeepend. :)

Note the "ghost outline" of a one story house against the south wall (left side of the picture for you non-Torontonians).

And yet, that house was already replaced in our circa 1925-ish picture by the large office/factory which itself hasn't been there since I'm guessing - the early 60s.

And our little house's ghostly outline continues to see the light of day. :)

Not to go digging up the past (although, what better thread to do so in?), but....

December 8 addition. I'll call this series "Last Picture Show".

Were any UTers here last night? I've lost one of my favourite haunts.

DSC_0025-1.jpg

THIS PLACE CLOSED???

I could have sworn I was just there a few months ago....I guess it was at least 9 months ago.

I know I wasn't there on closing day, but I must have have been there not too long before that.

I suppose I could have guessed it was closing by how dead it was in there at the time, though I liked how you bought your ticket from the same guy selling the popcorn.

Back