188     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Later: March 23 1943.

68892queenw-1.jpg

that laundry is one of those lovely proportioned 'tiny perfect' commercial buildings. vitrolite, cloth awnings, plate glass windows with aluminum frames, hand painted sign...uhm, socks hanging in the sunlight...
i love the vitrolite--you used to see it around a lot, but the number of buildings with their panels intact must be down to single digits...

nice to see the original second floor windows with the deco pattern are still there...

I wonder what the story on that empty lot is. I've often wondered about it when in the area. Someone has to be paying taxes on it and they've been paying them for 70 years. Unless it's owned by the city.

Just as interesting about the laundry is the name--a reminder of the pre-Roncy days when Queen was the premier Polish strip in town (also reflected in the nearby presence of St Stan's--and of course, the classic vestige of the Czehoski sign).

AFAIK Gdynia Hand Laundry (sign and all?) survived into the 80s, or close enough...

adma, those vitrolite tiles are probaby still "intact"; only just that they've been glued over. :(

March 10 addition.

Then: Jordan and King. Date? It's one of the Toronto Archive Wiley Fond pictures so it could be anywhere from the 50s or 60s.

f0124_fl0001_id0107.jpg

Now: December 2009.

DSC_0023-1.jpg

For once a "Now" that looks better than "Then"! Heard a talk by Paul Goldberger this morning (Pulitzer Prize winning architecture critic for the New Yorker and formerly The New York Times) who mentioned that the Seagram Building never looked better than when it was framed by masonry buildings. Likewise the old Montreal Trust Building, a true jewel that is set off by its neighbours.

late20th40-1.jpg
Seagram-Building6-1.jpg

Another thing about the Gdynia Hand Laundry: I wonder if, given the early 40s date, there was "patriotic" reasoning behind the naming (Gdynia being Poland's prime seaport)

I wonder what the story on that empty lot is. I've often wondered about it when in the area. Someone has to be paying taxes on it and they've been paying them for 70 years. Unless it's owned by the city.

I've wondered too, it's certainly large enough to build on.

For once a "Now" that looks better than "Then"! Heard a talk by Paul Goldberger this morning (Pulitzer Prize winning architecture critic for the New Yorker and formerly The New York Times) who mentioned that the Seagram Building never looked better than when it was framed by masonry buildings. Likewise the old Montreal Trust Building, a true jewel that is set off by its neighbours.

Our King and Jordan gem is to my eye a perfect blend of "small" scale - and the contrast of blue glass, black and brushed steel is delightful to my untrained eye.

Another thing about the Gdynia Hand Laundry: I wonder if, given the early 40s date, there was "patriotic" reasoning behind the naming (Gdynia being Poland's prime seaport)

Without looking it up, didn't Poland change hands between an independent Poland, Germany and finally the Soviets before independence again? I'm sure there was "patriotic" reasoning ... an immigrant giving a meaningful name to their business in commemoration...

March 11 addition.

Then: SW corner of Queen and York streets. January 12 1953.

1379queenw.jpg

1417queenw.jpg

Now: December 2009.

DSC_0033-2.jpg

Last edited:
Mustapha, wouldn't that "before" picture be on the south west corner? If that was SE, there are tracks heading north, which is not possible since York St terminates at Queen and Osgoode Hall is in the way.

Mustapha, wouldn't that "before" picture be on the south west corner? If that was SE, there are tracks heading north, which is not possible since York St terminates at Queen and Osgoode Hall is in the way.

chriskayTO,.. thank you, thank you... it's corrected. )

It must have also been right before all that was demolished for the blah government building that was in its turn demolished for 4SC...

Good view of the block from above:

queenyork.jpg

Although not visible in this view, University Ave. continued south of Queen only after 1930.

That statue on the grounds of Osgoode Hall (bottom of photo) - is it the same one that's now atop the CNE Princes' Gates? Certainly looks similar.

That statue, Goldie, is actually the top of the War Memorial that still stands there.

Speaking of the extension of University Avenue, the Archives contains a number of pictures documenting the block prior to demolition. The extension led to the transformation of University Avenue, from what was essentially a linear park/promenade to a major transportation artery. The extension (unfortunately not implementing the earlier Vimy Circle design) had a haphazard quality for decades, until eventually buildings were built that actually fronted on the Avenue.

1910:

Toronto_1910_Atlas_Volume_1_Plat-2.jpg

Toronto_1910_Atlas_Volume_1_Plat-1.jpg

universityqueen3.jpg

universityqueen2.jpg

Note the signs heralding the demolition:

universityqueen4.jpg

Clearing the route:

universityqueen.jpg

universq.jpg

queendemo.jpg

universityqueen6.jpg

Open for business:

universityqueen5.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! I certainly mis-read that statue photo, didn't I?

Thanks, 'charioteer' for that wonderful collection of University/Queen.

Back