News   Jun 26, 2024
 197     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Then: August 29, 1941. Looking across Queen street to the NE corner of Queen and Victoria. So many "watch repair" stores in those old shots. Anyone here wear an old watch, even occasionally? Either the kind that uses a swinging weight to wind or the kind that you wind by thumb and forefinger? I have one of the latter. The act of winding it in public can occasion stares.

2830queene.jpg

of course, the culture of watch design still exists in a very niche kind of way

d293b8b2.jpg

also there are some crazy steampunk versions of the wristwatch that are popular. more influenced by Terry Gillam or Tim Burton than Baume et Mercier of course...

8f67f5e9.jpg

Love that watch, deepend (of course, I have no idea how to tell what time it is!).

Another view of Victoria, just north of Queen 1928, noting the real estate boom at the time:

victoria.jpg

Thanks a million.

Now these are what I was looking for. I love when you can see the yesteryear photos and compare them the today vision.

Thank you soo much for sharing.

Then:
fo1244_f1244_it5046-1.jpg

Now from a ground level perspective:business process management
DSCF0333.jpg

Now from the top of the embankment perspective:
DSCF0332.jpg

Now. A close up of the charming small row houses in the old photo.
DSCF0334.jpg

I believe there used to be an at-grade railway crossing of the Danforth just east of where the traffic lights are now. You can see the crossing bucks in the 1937 photo. This certainly would have impacted how this stretch of the Danforth evolved over time.

I just noticed that. I wonder if it was a spur to the old Ford factory; now the Shoppers World mall; just to the east at Danforth and Victoria Park...

I'm more impressed by "Passport Photos 25¢". Seems like something from the modern age retconned and priced accordingly... like "mobile phones $1.25/month". :) Don't tend to think of average people as needing passports much back then. Especially as that was in the midst of the Second World War. Where were they gonna go, Paris? :)

Intriguing observation. Passports must have been as rare then among the general Canadian populace as they are even now among the American populace. The latter about 30% according to a quick Google.

A c.1950 Velux, which keeps excellent time and provokes interested looks whilst winding.

Great, another Collector. :)

Another view of the NE corner of Queen and Victoria (1919):

queenvidtoria.jpg

That top floor sure looks like a later addition.

Love that watch, deepend (of course, I have no idea how to tell what time it is!).

I think its 9:10; just a guess.

March 6 addition.

Lets go Urban Exploring. Not the kind in abandoned train stations and power plants. The kind where you can step out of a cafe, take a picture and step back inside. Sometimes, it is possible. :)

The Adelaide Street General Post Office that used to be at the top of Toronto Street. Yet another "Then" pic below. Lots of pictures of it on past pages of UT and on the interwebz.

Is there anything left of this grand old girl that we can explore and view?, preferably with latte in hand?

Then: "1919?" Note the stonework above the words "POST OFFICE".

f1244_it8055.jpg

Now: December 2009.

DSC_0021-5.jpg

And if we go around the back to Lombard street:

DSC_0018-6.jpg

DSC_0019-2.jpg

Last edited:
I just noticed that. I wonder if it was a spur to the old Ford factory; now the Shoppers World mall; just to the east at Danforth and Victoria Park...

I used to live on Coleman Ave. in the '90s, but never knew about this long-lost spur line. My curiosity has been piqued, however. With a little poking around I discovered that this GTR spur was for the Toronto Type Foundry's repair facility, located between Coleman and Balfour. The building was later taken over by York Knitting Mills, which was owned by J.D. Woods, of Harvey Woods fame.

Attachments

• 1910colemn.jpg
    1910colemn.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 466
Then. February 22, 1937. Danforth looking E. Main street is a few dozen yards behind the photographer. Note railroad crossing - ESSO sign - coal yards.

s0071_it11835.jpg

The CNR spur line crossing Danforth can be identified by the crossing sign in the middle/left of the photo.
It's certainly no where near the old Ford plant at "Shoppers World."
The spur line was used to service the many coal yards on the south side of Danforth and, as wwwebster has pointed out, also a factory north of Danforth.
Just behind the crossing sign was a service station (Imperial Oil, I think) and immediately east of that a private home owned by the Drummond family who owned the Drummond Fuel Co. Ltd. across the road.
I have an old photo showing box cars on that spur line - taken from the Drummond veranda.
Unfortunately, I can no longer post images to UT since the recent site 'upgrade' has rendered my software (for that purpose) useless.
I also have a photo of the Drummond house which was for, many years, the only residence in that block of stores. It and the serice station are now replaced by more stores.

Last edited:
Goldie asked me to post this...

"That CNR spur line is a personal landmark in my case because I am
related to the Drummond family that lived near the track.

Here are a couple of old photos of the house and their view of the RR
line. I visited the home only during the 1950-60s.

I think those stores beside the Drummond lot (1926 photo) must have
been demolished for the ESSO station that I remember in later years.

[These] pics of Danforth are similar to the view you originally
introduced and show the many fuel (coal) companies that once filled the
S side of that block.

A Canadian Tire Store now occupies the site of Drummond Fuel."

Danforthtowardsspurcrossing1936.jpg

DanforthlookingEatRRspurline1926.jpg

CNRspurlineWofDrummondhome.jpg

Drummond-then-now.jpg

Last edited:
All part of the area variously known as Coleman's Corners, Little York, & East Toronto.
http://www.ontarioroots.com/content/04/04_02/article_001.html

map_of_colemans_corners.jpg

East Toronto
By the 1880s, the Grand Trunk Railway needed a new main freight yard. Their yards along the Esplanade were squeezed for lack of room. The company selected farmland five and half miles to the east of Toronto in 1883. The new freight yard at York Station would serve the company's main line between Toronto and Montreal, as well as the traffic from the recently acquired Midland Railway.

The railway yard was built south of the Danforth, just below Little York and Coleman's Corners crossroads, where the Grand Trunk line to Montreal crossed Dawes Road. The road was closed and traffic diverted to a new street called Main. The yard could store 420 cars on seven miles of track and 31 engines in a roundhouse with adjacent repair shops. The York Passenger Station was built on the north side of the tracks. In 1890 and again in 1903 local people tried to rename the station "East Toronto", but the railroad refused. Soon, industries that relied on bulk transport, such as fuel and lumber, grew up next to the tracks near the station.

As the yard was built on farmland, Grand Trunk had to put up workers' houses. They were constructed on Lakeview Avenue (Gerrard Street), Swanwick Avenue, and the north side of Stephenson Avenue (named after the first Reeve). The last of these houses was demolished in 1965 when Kimberley School was rebuilt. To provide rooms for the train crews, a large YMCA was built in front of the station at Main Street and Danforth Avenue. This building provided the community with much needed space for church, social and charity meetings in its assembly hall.

The town incorporated in 1888 with a population of 750, and the council met upstairs in the Firehall. East Toronto's seal featured a locomotive showing the municipality's dependence on the railway. One strip of East Toronto, between Balsam & Beech Roads ran down to Lake Ontario at Balmy Beach to secure water rights; however, the Grand Trunk Railroad provided water for the town from local springs.

East Toronto's commercial heart was the corner of Main and Gerrard Streets. McMillim & Costain had a hardware store there for the first thirty years of the twentieth century. Other stores of that period were Widdowson's Shoes, William's grocery store and O'Donnell's dry goods just up the street. William Candler, who had started out as a carriage builder, eventually owned a Ford dealership and sold gas. Fred Taylor played early silent movies at the Ideal Theatre, and afterwards people enjoyed ice cream treats in his Palm Gardens parlour.

Several events took place in 1903: East Toronto became a town with three wards. A second event saw a section of Balmy Beach made into a popular park. Finally, the YMCA building was moved to the northeast corner of Main and Gerrard. It eventually closed in 1920 and today, the Ted Reeve Arena occupies the site, and the playing fields are known as the Grand Trunk Fields.

In 1907, people living near Lake Ontario became alarmed by railway expansion rumours. Newspapers published attempts by the railroads to run track just offshore east to Port Union. Later, more rumors claimed that both Canadian Pacific & Canadian Northern Railroad were surveying the beach and 200 yards north of Queen Street as possible track sites. The public was aroused, worried about their property values and quality of life. Petitions were signed and a delegation travelled to Ottawa. All the railways remained where they had been.

Although there were many advantages to annexation to Toronto – paved streets, more reliable water, electric light, and good sewage systems, East Toronto's feelings were mixed. The southern Beach ward was keen, while the north feared higher taxes. East Toronto finally joined Toronto on December 15, 1908, but the advantages came slowly. The area remained surrounded by fields and market gardens until as late as the 1920s, as the city crept nearer along the street railways lines on Gerrard Street, Danforth Avenue and Kingston Road.

The Grand Trunk Railway became part of the Canadian National Railways in 1923. By the 1940s, the Danforth Yard was no longer used as a freight yard, and the locomotive roundhouse was demolished. In 1940, there were six tracks north and 17 south of the mainline. By the 1980s, the northern tracks had been removed and there were 11 southern storage tracks. The York Station was demolished in October 1974, and a GO transit station now occupies the site.

Although the village had easy access to Toronto by trains or street railways, people tended to live, work and play close to their neighbourhood. The closeness of The Beach with its clean air and change of atmosphere made it 'the place' to go to for summer enjoyment for many East Torontonians.
from All Aboard Toronto, a Virtual Exhibit by the Toronto Public Library
http://ve.torontopubliclibrary.ca/allaboard/

I used to live on Coleman Ave. in the '90s, but never knew about this long-lost spur line. My curiosity has been piqued, however. With a little poking around I discovered that this GTR spur was for the Toronto Type Foundry's repair facility, located between Coleman and Balfour. The building was later taken over by York Knitting Mills, which was owned by J.D. Woods, of Harvey Woods fame.

I looked at the Google satellite views of this area. There seems to be nothing left on the ground that this ever existed.

Goldie asked me to post the article below from his hardcopy of the Globe and Mail.

Creative, humorous and interesting isn't it? A poor mans version of doing Photoshop. Very poor. :):eek:

displayingThenNow.jpg

March 7 addition.

Queen and Ossington, NW corner. October 23, 1958.

queenandossington.jpg

Now: December 2009. The fire hall has lost its clock, but vintage Minis still live.

DSC_0037-2.jpg

March 8 addition.

Then: Toronto street. One of the Toronto Archive "Wiley Fonds" pictures. I'm guessing 1962-ish?

f0124_fl0001_id0067.jpg

DSC_0022-1.jpg

March 8 addition.

Then: Toronto street. One of the Toronto Archive "Wiley Fonds" pictures. I'm guessing 1962-ish?

f0124_fl0001_id0067.jpg

DSC_0022-1.jpg

What a heart-breaking loss!

A brief history by Bruce Bell (http://www.thebulletin.ca/cbulletin...1065346170367888772&ctid=1000011&cnid=1002172)

Also there was the astonishing Masonic Temple that at one time stood at 20 Toronto St., built in 1858 by William Kaufman.

This impressive little gem was originally built to be a concert hall for A&S Nordheimer, the foremost piano makers and music sellers in Toronto.

Initially it was to have stores and a reception hall on the main floor, offices on the second and third floors and on the top floor a new music hall rising up two storeys.

In 1857, when it was decided that Ottawa and not Toronto was to be the nation’s capital, there occurred an economic slowdown and plans for Toronto’s newest music hall were scaled back.

At the same time Albert Nordheimer, the building’s owner, was becoming involved with the growing and highly enigmatic Masonic movement that was sweeping through North America. So he decided to convert the former upper floor music hall into the various homes to the nine Masonic Lodges then in Toronto.

The Masons have been in Toronto since the late 1700s with one of their first permanent lodge homes standing where the entrance to 35 Church St. is today. Back then it was the site of Russell’s Hotel (c.1848) of which the upper floor was built especially for the St. Andrew’s Lodge of Freemasons.

It was de rigueur for men in early York (and later Toronto) society to belong to this mysterious and beneficent organization with its constitutional declaration of a belief in a Supreme Being. It was the only way to get ahead in business or to climb the social ladder (today there are about 5 million members worldwide of the Masons).

Those early men of York had as their grandmaster none other than the Duke of Kent who lived here in York from 1799 till 1806. As well as being the fourth son of King George III, he is best known to history as the father of Queen Victoria.

In 1860 the Masons moved out of their Church Street Lodge and into the much more opulent Toronto Street Temple.

That same year the publication, “Handbook to Toronto—A City Guide” wrote of the imposing new building: “Its elaborately finished exterior façade calls to mind somewhat the exterior of the stately Munich Cathedral. The richness, variety and beauty of its numberless perpendicular lines carry the eye at once upward to its entire height, and give lightness and elegance to the whole structure.”

Inside it was a whole different look with a gilted Chapter Room complete with a throne underneath. A crimson canopy topped off with a crown finial greeted members of the chapter as they went about their rituals secure with the knowledge that all who entered had sworn an oath of secrecy.

In 1876 the Canada Permanent Co. acquired the Toronto Street Masonic Temple, however the Masons stayed on in their Lodge rooms until 1901 when the upper floors were converted over to office space.

At that time the various Mason Lodges began to move into separate and more spacious premises like the massive Temple Building (1896-1970) at Bay and Richmond-one of the largest buildings in Toronto at the time-and the still-standing Masonic Temple on Yonge at Davenport (1918), now a CTV studio.

In 1930 Canada Permanent moved out of the former Toronto Street Masonic Temple and the Excelsior Life Insurance Co. moved in. In 1964 they demolished it, replacing it with the present office tower at 20 Toronto St. (a very bland building but not nearly as offensive as some).

Paradoxically, in 1930 when Canada Permanent moved into its new headquarters at 320 Bay St. (still one of the most outstanding art deco office towers in Toronto), they etched into their dazzling brass lobby elevator doors for all to see even today an imprint of the former Masonic Temple that at one time graced Toronto Street

masonichall2.jpg

masonichall.jpg

2009-01-16-2350-33_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:
That Masonic Temple was very "Moroccan" (my description). :) The scale was something too - quite large for its time. Thanks thecharioteer.

March 9 addition.

Then: Queen street in the 600 block. Three views today. Let's call them "Then" , "Later", and "Now" shall we?

Then: February 21 1941.

68892queenw.jpg

Later: March 23 1943.

68892queenw-1.jpg

DSC_0035-2.jpg

Back