2.8K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.9K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

A wintry night on Wilton Ave:
f1568_it0330.jpg

I wonder where along present day Dundas that would be now??

fo0124_f0124_fl0002_id0039.jpg

Awesome photo. I have no doubt that this was/is seen as a wholly unremarkable building, but we're simply less of a city for no longer having it.

The difference between new an old was striking to me too. And I try not to let these pairs get to me.:)

this is a great thread

Hey, welcome. It's a good group here.

That Bloor building reminds me of the Lister Building in Hamilton.

I had to look this up. Fascinating.

or my favourite: King St. and John St., January 26 1961.

f1257_s1057_it0021.jpg

'Whitewear' on the building. Wonderful; the photographer must have been waiting for that weather for months.:D

My plan was to make Mustapha go out in a snowstorm for the 'now'.

For more weather - these were taken 55 years ago - possibly to the day.

f1257_s1057_it1995.jpg

f1257_s1057_it1997.jpg

Or a flood :)? I have waders, used to fly fish. :D Never seen these at the archives, cool.

October 18 addition.

ser71_s0071_it10191.jpg

DSCF1212.jpg

It was known as Farb's Carwash.

Reitman, who at one time owned a laundry (Snow White?) on the west

side of Ave Rd north of the RR tracks, and another partner, bought the

carwash from it's originator (Farb) in the '60's. I never met him (Farb)

but he and they, did have a fine carwash! ("Farb", was a nickname, a

shortened name, if you will.) Reitman's wife and daughter (a good looker)

mainly worked the cash as well as I believe did their partner and his wife.

(All, very nice people.)

Regards,
J T

f1257_s1057_it0021.jpg

Not sure of the date of the King/John pics, but it's worth mentioning the significance of the Eclipse Whitewear Building in the history of King/Spadina. Bought and renovated in 1970 by the architectural firm Diamond & Myers, its transformation represented a new vision for both the area and for the workplace. Things we take for granted today, like historic preservation and the re-use of industrial buildings for other uses were incredibly radical ideas in those days (residential conversions in K/S though would have to wait another 25 years).

I think it's fair to say that along with Ed Mirvish's purchase of the Royal Alex in 1963, the renovation of the Eclipse Whitewear Building in 1970 set the stage for the all the changes that were yet to come.

Not sure of the date of the King/John pics, but it's worth mentioning the significance of the Eclipse Whitewear Building in the history of King/Spadina. Bought and renovated in 1970 by the architectural firm Diamond & Myers, its transformation represented a new vision for both the area and for the workplace. Things we take for granted today, like historic preservation and the re-use of industrial buildings for other uses were incredibly radical ideas in those days (residential conversions in K/S though would have to wait another 25 years).

I think it's fair to say that along with Ed Mirvish's purchase of the Royal Alex in 1963, the renovation of the Eclipse Whitewear Building in 1970 set the stage for the all the changes that were yet to come.

And through it all, it's still called and labelled the Eclipse Whitewear Building...

I have to admit that with hindsight, the white painted exterior was not a good move.

This could have been at the behest of the Toronto Sun newspaper who were their

first tenant. (1971)

Regards,
J T

I have to admit that with hindsight, the white painted exterior was not a good move.

This could have been at the behest of the Toronto Sun newspaper who were their

first tenant. (1971)

Regards,
J T

My memory may be failing, but I think that when it was first renovated, the facade was cleaned, exposing a beautiful caramel coloured brick. I think the white paint came later.

...and in harmony with the "whitepainted" Mirvish row, to boot. (Actually, back in the 60s and trickling into the 70s, "whitepainters" was a term for early gentrifiers. Then the reverse trend became sandblasting, and so on...)

...and in harmony with the "whitepainted" Mirvish row, to boot. (Actually, back in the 60s and trickling into the 70s, "whitepainters" was a term for early gentrifiers. Then the reverse trend became sandblasting, and so on...)

Some of those early sandblasting jobs really did a number on the brick surfaces - removing the weather resistant outer layer. Some Cabbagetown homes to this day look poorly because of this.

October 19 addition.

Then: Jarvis looking SSW towards the Charles street intersection. c1960?

fo1257_ser1057_f1257_s1057_it0013.jpg

Now: October 2009.

DSCF1203.jpg

"Some of those early sandblasting jobs really did a number on the brick surfaces - removing the weather resistant outer layer. Some Cabbagetown homes to this day look poorly because of this." QUOTE, Mustapha.

Probably the worst sandblast job in this city was done on the old hotel - S/E corner of

King E & Sherbourne streets.

Regards,
J T

October 19 addition.

Then: Jarvis looking SSW towards the Charles street intersection. c1960?

fo1257_ser1057_f1257_s1057_it0013.jpg

Now: October 2009.

DSCF1203.jpg

Great comparison, Mustapha! What's particularly interesting about upper Jarvis in its heyday was the mixture of quite ordinary, middle-class housing like these buildings, with the grandest large-lot estates such as the Cawthra mansion at the NW corner of Jarvis & Isabella, just to the south of this shot (replaced in the 50's by the current apartment building):

cawthramansion.jpg

Back