News   May 31, 2024
 941     6 
News   May 31, 2024
 3.3K     2 
News   May 31, 2024
 1K     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Then: Jarvis looking SSW towards the Charles street intersection. c1960?

fo1257_ser1057_f1257_s1057_it0013.jpg

Now: October 2009.

DSCF1203.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I could be wrong, but the 3 buildings between Massey House (the 1959 building) and the big house on the corner, might have been incorporated into the south wing of the former Pizza Pizza HQ. The roof line and the back of the current building suggests that it was a conversion job.

Apparently this site is going to be another condo. Between the X condo and this site, Im glad I live on the other side of the building.

Trying to do a Now and Then of the Cawthra Mansion using Google Earth. Great program, but hard to line up the angles and exact location:

cawthramansion.jpg

isabella.jpg

The Cawthra house was on the S/W corner. (Jarvis & Isabella)

Regards,
J T

The Cawthra house was on the S/W corner. (Jarvis & Isabella)

Regards,
J T

I stand corrected, JT. (Now the outline of the house at 538 Jarvis makes sense on the 1910 Goad map). The two apartment buildings on the block between Gloucester and Isabella replaced 518 Jarvis, lived in by Sir William and Lady Mulock, and 538 Jarvis, lived in by Mr. and Mrs. Cawthra Mulock.

No problem.

(I was wrong once; I thought I was wrong!) - ROTFLMAO

The only thing with being "wrong", is, that someone, at sometyme,

will take the incorect statement as gospel, and run with it.

Mike Fiely has had this happen numerous tymes, as has

Mr Fletcher in his publication re "Lady", Simcoe.

Regards,
J T

Not sure of the date of the King/John pics, but it's worth mentioning the significance of the Eclipse Whitewear Building in the history of King/Spadina. Bought and renovated in 1970 by the architectural firm Diamond & Myers, its transformation represented a new vision for both the area and for the workplace. Things we take for granted today, like historic preservation and the re-use of industrial buildings for other uses were incredibly radical ideas in those days (residential conversions in K/S though would have to wait another 25 years).

I think it's fair to say that along with Ed Mirvish's purchase of the Royal Alex in 1963, the renovation of the Eclipse Whitewear Building in 1970 set the stage for the all the changes that were yet to come.

Its interesting to consider the early history of this kind of reuse of old warehouse space as an important part of Toronto's cultural evolution and growth. The aforementioned Diamond and Myers reno appears to be the earliest example, but within 5 years this kind of reuse was an established part of downtown life.

Certainly the early Queen Street scene of 1976-81 would not have happened had it not been for the ample availability of affordable light manufacturing and warehouse space on Richmond, Duncan, Adelaide, Peter, Spadina etc.

Art Metropole, the Music Gallery, Crash and Burn, CEAC, YYZ, A Space, Mercer Union et al., were all eventually situated in these early 20th century warehouses, as were innumerable artists, bands, designers; effecting a permanent shift of the center of art gravity away from the galleries situated in the tonier Victorian homes of Yorkville.

Its interesting to consider the early history of this kind of reuse of old warehouse space as an important part of Toronto's cultural evolution and growth. The aforementioned Diamond and Myers reno appears to be the earliest example, but within 5 years this kind of reuse was an established part of downtown life.

Certainly the early Queen Street scene of 1976-81 would not have happened had it not been for the ample availability of affordable light manufacturing and warehouse space on Richmond, Duncan, Adelaide, Peter, Spadina etc.

Art Metropole, the Music Gallery, Crash and Burn, CEAC, YYZ, A Space, Mercer Union et al., were all eventually situated in these early 20th century warehouses, as were innumerable artists, bands, designers; effecting a permanent shift of the center of art gravity away from the galleries situated in the tonier Victorian homes of Yorkville.

Before I tip my hand, does anyone have thoughts upon the whole

King/Spadina, Liberty/Fraser/Hanna, political/private sector "experience"?

Regards,
J T

It might have been the earliest ballyhooed benchmark, but I think the trend might already have been in utero in the 60s in places like whatever was left of St Lawrence-zone Front, Esplanade, etc. (Worth looking into.)

Before I tip my hand, does anyone have thoughts upon the whole

King/Spadina, Liberty/Fraser/Hanna, political/private sector "experience"?

Regards,
J T

Not sure exactly what you mean by "political/private sector experience", but my thoughts are that the success of King/Spadina is due mostly to the "private" as opposed to the "public" sector.

Though it's commonplace to credit then-Mayor Barbara Hall and then-Planning Commissioner Paul Bedford with the creation of the "Kings" (i.e. the loosening-up of planning controls in King/Spadina and King/Parliament to permit all uses, and the elimination of density as a determinant of built-form), it's my belief that the planners and politicians have always been one step behind the private sector.

The history of land-use in King/Spadina from the mid-70's to the mid-90's show that the combination of a declining fashion industry and pressure from the office sector to extend office uses westerly from University, led to changes in the Zoning By-law and the King/Spadina Secondary Plan to modify the strictly Industrial zoning past Simcoe to Duncan and then to John. The two major blocks in the area between Simcoe and John, and King and Front were re-designated from Industrial to permit Roy Thomson Hall, Metro Hall and the CBC complex. This was all "re-active" planning as opposed to "pro-active".

At the same time, left-wing planners and politicians opposed any non-industrial uses further west, hoping that the low rents resulting from the restrictive zoning would somehow allow the fashion industry to survive. The 1988 Free Trade Agreement would ultimately doom the Spadina shmatte business. Further blocks became "non-industrial" as entertainment uses grew: CITY TV's opening of its station in 299 Queen in 1987, followed by Festival Hall at Richmond and John, on the site of the old Dover Elevator factory, ultimately leading to the creation of the "Entertainment District".

It was the private sector that pushed for permission to allow residential uses in the area, through both conversions of old industrial buildings and construction of new buildings. A very restrictive urban-design driven zoning bylaw in the mid-90's removed density from the equation but established detailed built-form massing envelopes that had no relation to the existing buildings in the area (such as the King St. Holiday Inn, Metro Hall and others), leading to, at first Committee of Adjustment variances and then rezonings for practically every new residential development in King/Spadina (ironically even some of the classic Spadina art-deco buildings such as the Balfour and Tower Buildings did not comply with the new massing envelopes)

The early buildings proposed during this period (The Morgan, the Hudson, District Lofts) did not have planning support but ultimately got approved. The next generation (TIFF, M5V, Charlie) either involved Council ignoring the planners, or the OMB ignoring the planners. West of Spadina, the planners were even more absurd in their obsession with height limits, leading to cases whereas the planners would fight C of A decisions at the Board over one storey variances. They have made themselves irrelevant iin the process.

It could also be argued that the most successful sections urbanistically of K/S are those blocks west of Spadina, which owe more to Allied Canadian, which has renovated most of the heritage buildings along King (and done all the streetscape improvements), and to Peter Freed who has mastered the art of the "background" building, than to any City initiatives.

On a final note, the election of Adam Vaughan is the most positive thing that has happened to this area in years. Whereas Olivia Chow cared little for architecture or city-building (unless it supplied day-care), Vaughan is one of the few members of Council who actually cares about design, architecture and history. Actual "public/private" dialogue has some potential when the private sector has a Councillor of such intelligence with whom to deal.

I daresay that both we and the city, owe David Walsh -

"Savior of The Gooderham Building", a hearty round of applause!

Aside from The St Lawrence Hall job, (1966) the area was a

wasteland of parking lots and "improved & modernised", (read -

white paint, frontage reno/replace) just old buildings.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
If one were to ever "hit the nail on the head", you sire, have done it with

a 10 pound sledge! About the ONLY thing I can add to what you say is:

The Provincial Government had studied the situation and did want some

action. The holdup was the local councillor. - "The schmata business will

come back!" He died, things changed.

Mr S J Sable cashed-out; Michael Emory & Co cashed in.

Regards,
J T

Jarvis/Charles picture: Later 60s perhaps?

Mustapha: The pic you posted on 10/16 looks later then 1960 to me.
Is there any way you can enlarge the license plate on the front of that VW Bug in the pic to make it more readable? That could date it right there...
LI MIKE

Mustapha: The pic you posted on 10/16 looks later then 1960 to me.
Is there any way you can enlarge the license plate on the front of that VW Bug in the pic to make it more readable? That could date it right there...
LI MIKE

LI Mike, I used Nero Photosnap Viewer to do this, unfortunately the resolution isn't there.:(

October 20 addition.

Then: Eglinton looking E towards Mt Pleasant. April 29 1930.

Eglinton Public School on the right. Still here but in a new building.

ser71_s0071_it7594.jpg

Now October 2009. October has been a busy month. Using my holidays to take pics.:)

DSCF1235.jpg

Returning to Jarvis Street: September 1916, the Parks Dept. takes an extraordinary series of photographs of the trees of Jarvis Street.

Beautiful and evocative of Alfred Stieglitz in Manhattan.

s0372_ss0052_it0644.jpg

s0372_ss0052_it0646.jpg

s0372_ss0052_it0645.jpg
s0372_ss0052_it0643.jpg

s0372_ss0052_it0641.jpg

s0372_ss0052_it0640.jpg

s0372_ss0052_it0639.jpg

Back