News   Apr 23, 2024
 29     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 282     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 484     0 

Metrolinx Unveils Next Wave of Big Move Projects

The only way I can see the WWLRT extended to Square One is if new tracks are built on Lakeshore Road E, and connects with the Hurontario LRT.

I expect the Hurontario LRT will be one of the first projects to receive funding, because it's pretty much ready to go. The DRL, and Yonge extensions may be last due to the complexity of the projects.

Last edited:
gweed:

I tend to agree, particularly for smaller scale projects like WWLRT - these are the projects that can be funded though tools like development charges, etc.

AoD

Exactly. I can see the need for the primary network (GO, subways, regional LRTs, regional BRTs) to be funded by Metrolinx, but for smaller projects that are more part of the supplementary network, I think they can be covered by the respective municipality. Examples of these would be: Jane/Don Mills/Malvern LRTs/BRTs, the Steeles BRT in Brampton, The Trafalgar/Bronte/Appleby/Brant BRTs in Halton, and a few of the VIVA projects.

I think each city/region should be expecting one to two Big Move projects per cycle, and then anything they want to build beyond that should be funded locally. If they want to go transit gangbusters, by all means go for it, but don't expect Metrolinx at-large to foot the bill.

JGB/gweed:

Exactly. Besides, if Lakeshore GO is operated like a REX like service (with say a new stop at Lakeview), then presumably there will be even less demand to link it to PC, other than as a neigbhourhood "streetcar" service.

AoD

The only way I can see the WWLRT extended to Square One is if new tracks are built on Lakeshore Road E, and connects with the Hurontario LRT.

I expect the Hurontario LRT will be one of the first projects to receive funding, because it's pretty much ready to go. The DRL, and Yonge extensions may be last due to the complexity of the projects.

There is a plan to have an LRT line on Lakeshore in Mississauga that will connect to TTC if Mississauga track gauge is the same as TTC. I don't expect to see TTC and Mississauga having the same gauge since Metrolinx 4 new lines for TTC will be standard. The Lakeshore line would be a branch line for Hurontario line, but way off in the distance at this time.

Hurontario was to be 30% design now, but various changes and thinking has push it to the first of 2013 when the next open house will happen. Supposed to go to the board for approval in June 2013 and that maybe push back now.

I'm a little confused about Brampton's Queen Street transit line, whether that's an upgrade of the existing Zum corridor (median BRT like VivaNext?) Brampton's next priority is, and has been, Phase II of Zum BRT-lite, including the Bovaird corridor, as well as western extensions of the Queen and Steeles routes and the possible extension of the 502 service to the Valleywood carpool/park and ride at the 410, and of course more train service on the Kitchener Line.

JGB/gweed:

Exactly. Besides, if Lakeshore GO is operated like a REX like service (with say a new stop at Lakeview), then presumably there will be even less demand to link it to PC, other than as a neigbhourhood "streetcar" service.

AoD

Yup exactly. Lakeshore GO REX for express/long distance service, WWLRT for local service. Given the distance between the two stations, it would also allow for development in between the two stations.

I'm a little confused about Brampton's Queen Street transit line, whether that's an upgrade of the existing Zum corridor (median BRT like VivaNext?) Brampton's next priority is, and has been, Phase II of Zum BRT-lite, including the Bovaird corridor, as well as western extensions of the Queen and Steeles routes and the possible extension of the 502 service to the Valleywood carpool/park and ride at the 410, and of course more train service on the Kitchener Line.

Good question. I thought Züm was going with shoulder BRT lanes, like Halton Region? Certainly all of the designs I have seen have been shoulder lanes. Maybe they're upgrading from queue jump lanes and curbside cutouts to full BRT lanes along the entire length?

And I would imagine those other projects would still be on the list for Brampton. Perhaps they're doing the regional/local funding split that I talked about above. Metrolinx covering the regional line, Brampton covering the local lines.

On Twitter, those who were at the announcement were saying its dedicated lanes.

With the announced electrification of the Kitchener Corrider will we see an announcement tomorrow that the WCC has disbanded? (dark humour intended)

With the announced electrification of the Kitchener Corrider will we see an announcement tomorrow that the WCC has disbanded? (dark humour intended)

More likely to be a request for a further delay until someone can study the impact of the community on living so close to so much electricity.

There is a plan to have an LRT line on Lakeshore in Mississauga that will connect to TTC if Mississauga track gauge is the same as TTC. I don't expect to see TTC and Mississauga having the same gauge since Metrolinx 4 new lines for TTC will be standard. The Lakeshore line would be a branch line for Hurontario line, but way off in the distance at this time.

Hurontario was to be 30% design now, but various changes and thinking has push it to the first of 2013 when the next open house will happen. Supposed to go to the board for approval in June 2013 and that maybe push back now.

The Star is speculating that there may a more permanent delay in the Hurontario line

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/cit...95412--is-mississauga-bailing-on-its-lrt-plan

Back