News   Jul 04, 2024
 444     1 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 523     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 556     1 

Metrolinx: Sheppard East LRT (In Design)

What? The Eglinton LRT doesn't have 200 metre stop spacing (or even 200 meter stop spacings!). Neither does the Sheppard East LRT. I haven't seen any designs for Metrolinx's proposed rapid transit on Steeles.

I meant the Eglinton bus. I am aware the LRT has farther spacing.

I've been riding 510 Spadina for years and from my observations, traffic interfering with the streetcars hasn't been a big issue. I wouldn't spend any money to fix this "problem".
I think those underground stops will do more easing the traffic at major cross streets than speeding things up for the LRTs - although it does allow the LRT to skip through left/U-turn signal phases and such.
Spadina might not be the best example, as it's a relatively short route, and there isn't a major expressway running next to it.

Will the stops (not the underground stations) be "on request" stops? Will the light rail vehicles have "stop request" buttons?

If there are no humans waiting at a stop platform visible to the driver, or no one on board the light rail vehicle presses the "stop request" button, the driver may just bypass the stop without decelerating. I would imagine this happening more likely late at night.

At the underground stations, because the driver may not see if there is someone coming down the steps or exiting the elevator, the vehicles would have to stop at all the underground stations. Likely, the "stop request" buttons would be turned off, underground.

Faster speeds would be likely. Similar to buses and streetcars when there is no one waiting at stops or pressing the "stop request" on board.

Faster speeds would be likely. Similar to buses and streetcars when there is no one waiting at stops or pressing the "stop request" on board.
One would assume - particularly if they use the LRT for the night-time service. I caught a 506 around midnight yesterday that got me from Broadview to east of Coxwell hitting every light Green, and no passengers on or off. About 7 minutes to Woodbine! If only rush-hour was like that!

One would assume - particularly if they use the LRT for the night-time service. I caught a 506 around midnight yesterday that got me from Broadview to east of Coxwell hitting every light Green, and no passengers on or off. About 7 minutes to Woodbine! If only rush-hour was like that!

Doubt that the 3xx Blue Night Network would include the LRT, since it would involve the underground stations, at this time. Unless the automated system could allow for one track service underground (both LRT and Subway), which may include the above-ground as well.

Will the stops (not the underground stations) be "on request" stops? Will the light rail vehicles have "stop request" buttons?

If there are no humans waiting at a stop platform visible to the driver, or no one on board the light rail vehicle presses the "stop request" button, the driver may just bypass the stop without decelerating. I would imagine this happening more likely late at night.

At the underground stations, because the driver may not see if there is someone coming down the steps or exiting the elevator, the vehicles would have to stop at all the underground stations. Likely, the "stop request" buttons would be turned off, underground.

How does it work for other on-street LRTs like in LA? On the San Francisco Muni N Judah line I think you do have to request stops.

Doubt that the 3xx Blue Night Network would include the LRT, since it would involve the underground stations, at this time. Unless the automated system could allow for one track service underground (both LRT and Subway), which may include the above-ground as well.
Only the platform at Don Mills is underground. In the long-term, they were proposing to also build surface track to Don Mills Road, to connect to the Don Mills LRT. They could add a single platform there as well for overnight service. Or simply find a way to leave the station open overnight.

How does it work for other on-street LRTs like in LA? On the San Francisco Muni N Judah line I think you do have to request stops.
Yes, on the N Judah, you must request a stop with the pull cord along the windows.

During rush hour, they have the N Judah LRT running, along with an express bus service.

The Leslie stop (Metrolinx is calling it a stop, not a station) is 1 km from Don Mills, and 1.3 km from Laird. How is Leslie station related to stop spacings being too close?

Oakwood station is between Dufferin station and Eglinton West station. It's about 1.2 km between those two stations. That's a 600-metre average spacing. Perhaps not ideal, but not different than the spacing we see on parts of the Bloor and Danforth lines, and further apart than the 500-metre spacing we see on the Yonge line between Bloor and Union. Yes, spacing should be a bit further apart, but you need Eglinton West, and you need Dufferin. If you were to skip Oakwood, then you have 1.2 km between stations, which isn't particularly walkable.

There's no other stations as close to each other as Oakwood. And really don't see the complaint about the Leslie stop.

Leslie completely obliterated the south side alignment. Oakwood, well you just said it.

Leslie completely obliterated the south side alignment. Oakwood, well you just said it.

Well if you are at oakwood you either walk east to eglinton west or walk west to dufferin. Its not like someone is going to be at dufferin and will have to walk all the way to eglinton ave west. Oakwood is the midway point. Oakwood is too close and should not be a stop, But it is what it is

Back