News   Apr 23, 2024
 468     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 379     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 627     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

They should incorporate a "bulleye" or "target" in the design. With a PRESTO card instead of an arrow.

target-2070972_960_720.png

From link.

Several of the new readers have been installed at Aurora GO station, which is one of the stations that was on GO's list for the few stations that are getting them as a pilot before a widespread replacement. This was quicker than I expected.

They currently have bags taped over them and are not usable, but they're installed. I saw at least 2 on the platform near the station building, could have been more than that. Hopefully they go live soon!

Related image
View attachment 223704
TTC should have gone with the default S&B software like OCTranspo of London Transit. They probably could have also avoided the concession fraud problem.
its just another example of the pompous high and mighty attitude ttc has towards presto and infrastructure items. They tried to engineer their own software and demanded a reader that they still cant fully utilise because they are
too scared to show balances and other relevant info. When problems arose such as their connectivity problem with their readers they publically blamed everyone but themselves.

its just another example of the pompous high and mighty attitude ttc has towards presto and infrastructure items. They tried to engineer their own software and demanded a reader that they still cant fully utilise because they are
too scared to show balances and other relevant info. When problems arose such as their connectivity problem with their readers they publically blamed everyone but themselves.

Aren't the readers purchased, installed, owned, and maintained by Metrolinx? As for balances, the PRESTO boarding process is already slow enough. The last thing we need are idiots who want to take even more time to squint at data on the screen.

Related image

TTC should have gone with the default S&B software like OCTranspo of London Transit. They probably could have also avoided the concession fraud problem.
Related image

Yes. That's pretty much exactly as I had described it earlier:

Luckily, it's a screen and it can be changed to a smaller arrow pointing down without a circle that makes it look like a button and with text saying Tap Card Below.

It makes me cringe when people who are wholly unqualified are put in positions of implementing design decisions that hundreds of thousands of people interact with every day.

Somebody with no design awareness would think: "let me put a down arrow here so people don't tap the screen." Ironically, the larger they made that arrow to emphasize it, the more people would intuitively want to tap on the screen. Even a first year design student would understand that.

Aren't the readers purchased, installed, owned, and maintained by Metrolinx? As for balances, the PRESTO boarding process is already slow enough. The last thing we need are idiots who want to take even more time to squint at data on the screen.
The TTC was given the option to customize their readers, this is what they wanted, and this is what they were given.

The TTC was given the option to customize their readers, this is what they wanted, and this is what they were given.
I bet if they were given the standard reader as all the rest of the table systems nobody would be complaining. Just high and mighty ttc failing themselves again

I've said this a few times, only to have people say that that they don't check their balance anywhere else or they don't always think to check their balance often.

I've said this a few times, only to have people say that that they don't check their balance anywhere else or they don't always think to check their balance often.
Everyone who uses PRESTO regularly should try to set up auto-load so one's balance is not important. Those who do not want (or cannot have) autoload actually have very few places to check their balances except at regular Presto machines (and I agree this is not a good idea - particularly at rush-hours! Once the TTC gets enough regular and functioning Presto machines they need to install more "Balance Checking" (only) machines. GO has some but the customer volumes at most GO Presto machines are not at the level seen on most TTC ones.

Everyone who uses PRESTO regularly should try to set up auto-load so one's balance is not important. Those who do not want (or cannot have) autoload actually have very few places to check their balances except at regular Presto machines (and I agree this is not a good idea - particularly at rush-hours! Once the TTC gets enough regular and functioning Presto machines they need to install more "Balance Checking" (only) machines. GO has some but the customer volumes at most GO Presto machines are not at the level seen on most TTC ones.
I have auto load as well but I find it most useful everytime I glance at the balance readout to gauge how much left before the reload kicks in. I'm sure many others share the same sentiment as this can help with daily or weekly budgeting on the fly.

The SSRMs are meant to be balance checking machines and the ones on GO are supposed to be phased out once the new devices come in.

Bottom line is they DO need balance checking machines and they need to spread them around. Why not on some subway platforms or outside fare paid areas?
It's not in the contract that PRESTO has with the TTC, the extra wiring needed to install readers on platforms is cost prohibitive, and once again the SSRMs already allow people to check their balances.

Back