News   Nov 21, 2019
 474     8 
News   Nov 21, 2019
 994     15 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Richard White

Member Bio
Reaction score
That's because they're afraid some Joker may make a withdraw.

🃏
Not really it's more because with over 200 streetcars it is impractical to do it. You would need a dedicated armoured vehicle and staff to drive to every yard and empty every car every night. It is not exactly a 10 minute job. Maybe 10 minutes per car for a total of 2000 minutes or 33.3 hours to do every vehicle.

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Not really it's more because with over 200 streetcars it is impractical to do it. You would need a dedicated armoured vehicle and staff to drive to every yard and empty every car every night. It is not exactly a 10 minute job. Maybe 10 minutes per car for a total of 2000 minutes or 33.3 hours to do every vehicle.
How did they handle the fareboxes in the "old" days of tickets, tokens, and coins (and a few paper money as well)?

Richard White

Member Bio
Reaction score
How did they handle the fareboxes in the "old" days of tickets, tokens, and coins (and a few paper money as well)?
The operators would pick them up in the morning and drop them off in the evenings. If a bus was found to be DOA, an inspector would come and retrieve the box before it is being towed. The clerks would collect them at the divisions or the carhouses and then they would be dispensed with accordingly.

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The operators would pick them up in the morning and drop them off in the evenings. If a bus was found to be DOA, an inspector would come and retrieve the box before it is being towed. The clerks would collect them at the divisions or the carhouses and then they would be dispensed with accordingly.
With PRESTO, then there should be "less" coins, tickets, and tokens to handle compared to the "olden" days.

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
We do, you can order them (in a roll) from the Mint. They are legal tender but I have only ever seen one in change, many years ago. I give them as 'token gifts'.
I have 1-2 stored away somewhere that I've gotten through circulation over the years. Don't think they've been in regular circulation since the mid 70's.

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Shouldn't had happen in the first place as the system sucks and long over due to look elsewhere

Much of the TTC board meeting Thursday was taken up discussing a recent report from the city auditor general that found serious gaps in the administration of the Presto fare card system.

Auditor General Beverly Romeo-Beehler said the lack of proper oversight made it impossible to determine how much revenue the transit agency is losing from malfunctioning Presto equipment and other issues with the fare card.

In a split vote of five to two, commissioners asked TTC staff to issue a request for information to identify other potential fare-card suppliers and technology that could “benefit the TTC and its customers.”

A report is expected back by the end of next year.

The decision doesn’t mean the TTC will break its current contract with Metrolinx, the provincial agency that owns Presto. There are still seven years left on that deal, which was signed in 2012.

But board member Jim Karygiannis (Ward 22, Scarborough-Agincourt) suggested it was a way to get Metrolinx’s attention to fix the problems. He likened the TTC’s relationship with the agency to a bad marriage.

“They’re not willing to speak to us. They’re not willing to negotiate with us. They’re not even looking at us as an equal,” he said.

In a statement in response to the vote, Metrolinx Phil Verster said: “We have enjoyed an excellent working relationship with the TTC. We will continue to listen carefully to all of our transit partners.”

TheTigerMaster

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Metrolinx: We want to own a subway. It’ll be “easy”

Also Metrolinx: We refuse to communicate with our partners as we defraud and continually fail to meet our obligations.

I hope other GTA area transit operators undertake their own reviews, so we can ascertain just how bad this mess is.

mind_the_gap

Member Bio
Reaction score
I’m wondering, what will the TTC do when issuing transfers for cash fares on buses, once legacy fare media is eliminated? The only options I see are eliminating onboard cash fares altogether, installing TVMs, or having the driver risk getting robbed over a stack of paper Presto tickets (transfers).
Also, since the Presto tickets are RFID, they should make it possible to check your paper card’s status at TVMs.
Btw, I really like what London Transit did by using fobs instead of cards for child fares.

Kyle Campbell

Member Bio
Reaction score
I’m wondering, what will the TTC do when issuing transfers for cash fares on buses, once legacy fare media is eliminated? The only options I see are eliminating onboard cash fares altogether, installing TVMs, or having the driver risk getting robbed over a stack of paper Presto tickets (transfers).
Also, since the Presto tickets are RFID, they should make it possible to check your paper card’s status at TVMs.
Btw, I really like what London Transit did by using fobs instead of cards for child fares.
I'm surprised the tickets wouldn't need some sort of activation first. Ottawa bypassed all that by using an entirely separate system for tickets and transfers based on QR codes, but the faregates seem finicky with them. As for cleaning the machines, who is responsible for them, the TTC or Metrolinx?

11th

Member Bio
Reaction score
They will probably continue to accept cash fare but without issuing transfers - which should only affect a small number of users.