News   Apr 24, 2024
 635     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 833     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 550     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

I am not too worried about the new machines not 'sticking out' - if one is travelling by transit one expects to find both ticket-selling and ticket-verifying & validating machines. The knack is to put them in places one expects! Ticket validation machines belong at entrances to platforms or vehicles, ticket selling ones in the more general public areas. Though the new ones seem clearer, I continue to think that the ticket-validating ones should have a 'target' to show where to tap. (Many people here cannot read English and a clear visual cue is best.)

IMG_20200124_120323.jpg

How does one go on a date using the PRESTO cards? Can't double tap. So it'll be a "dutch treat" when using public transit.
In Ottawa, the driver can hit a button on the TCH screen to deduct a second fare from a PRESTO card and print a transfer. The PRESTO device reads "Tap for accompanying passenger" when in this mode. With the TTC's VISION system using the same Clever Devices system as Ottawa, this could be implemented, but I doubt it will.

However, that wouldn't work on a GO train or the subway if you enter a station with only automated entry; it relies on a driver.
Yes, it does need a human, and for this reason Ottawa's fare gates don't have this option. I have heard people ask about it though, so there clearly is demand. It would be nice to be able to buy tickets at a TVM using the funds loaded onto a PRESTO card.

Yes, it does need a human, and for this reason Ottawa's fare gates don't have this option. I have heard people ask about it though, so there clearly is demand. It would be nice to be able to buy tickets at a TVM using the funds loaded onto a PRESTO card.
The amounts that Accenture charges to make modifications to presto would make your head spin.

The amounts that Accenture charges to make modifications to presto would make your head spin.

Oh, I don't doubt it. There's a reason that Ottawa has implemented the bare minimum of PRESTO required by the province, and has either implemented additional extras internally (QR code transfers, contactless multi-day passes) or partnered with STO to leverage their PRESTO compatible Multi card (UPass, Transpass). They don't use PRESTO unless they have to.

There's a reason that Ottawa has implemented the bare minimum of PRESTO required by the province, and has either implemented additional extras internally (QR code transfers, contactless multi-day passes) or partnered with STO to leverage their PRESTO compatible Multi card (UPass, Transpass).

Seems to me that this might be less about the cost than about having compatibility with STO given how intertwined the systems are. It's still weirdly disjointed. You can only use Presto on STO if initiating on OC Transpo or have a pass. Which means if you use your e-wallet and go over to Gatineau, there's no way to pay with your Presto for the return trip.

Received via email.

On the GO​
New PRESTO Devices
1XyLbKM4-AtxmwQqB4B_ii7X5zInwMhkzeq6Yij5LiAF6_VplTKvfhGECudezw4YtghecPboiHEgK3_raqcCld9h4h_pCK-8JK9bs6Y1Nu9A5K2eWqGLNw=s0-d-e1-ft
Starting today you might see a different type of PRESTO payment device at Union Station. We’ve installed new devices at some of our stations as part of a trial, before installing them at all our stations and on all our buses later this year. Our devices are now almost 10 years old, so we’re replacing them with upgraded devices to continue to provide reliable service.

The new devices are easy to use, with a new look and some different features:

• larger screens that will display information more clearly
• a “mode” button that you can use to override your default trip, reverse a tap and check your card balance
• an “audio mode” for enhanced accessibility: just plug-in your 3.5mm headset jack to the right of the screen and follow the instructions.

Tap on and off like you usually do. However, the new devices are designed to process one card at a time, so make sure you’re tapping only your PRESTO card against the reader (not your entire wallet filled with cards) to pay your fare. If you tap on a new device, you can still tap off on an older device, or vice versa.

Find more information at prestocard.ca/newdevices

Back