News   Apr 18, 2024
 458     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 3.5K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.1K     4 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Presto is circulating a survey right now on different options for showing fare balance on TTC machines. It seems like those "accessibility concerns" might have been nonsense all this time.
What do you mean by "circulating a survey"? At stations handing out feedback forms, randomized online survey on website?

What do you mean by "circulating a survey"? At stations handing out feedback forms, randomized online survey on website?
I got an email about it, as a member of https://www.prestopanel.com/Portal/PRESTOPanel/default.aspx

It's just about options, asking which parts of the image below are important, etc. No indication that they would ever implement this. Or that they legally could implement it.

Here's an example.

upload_2018-6-19_17-50-17.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-19_17-50-17.png
    upload_2018-6-19_17-50-17.png
    40 KB · Views: 1,121
I got an email about it, as a member of https://www.prestopanel.com/Portal/PRESTOPanel/default.aspx

It's just about options, asking which parts of the image below are important, etc. No indication that they would ever implement this. Or that they legally could implement it.

Here's an example.

View attachment 147386
Personally I think that's information that shouldn't be shown as 1.) there isn't always time to read it when boarding the TTC and 2.) The person behind me doesn't need to know that information and 3.) it will just slow down pole baording if they styop to tread everything on the screen.

Sorry, I just meant no survey cam up when I logged in. Otherwise, my account works fine. And now I’ve
joined the Presto Panel that Nfitz linked above.

New fare machines at TTC. I like them.

Now three ways to load Presto at Yonge-Bloor (1 slim green machine, 2 new Metrolinx machines)

VIDEO:

I load a card in 15 seconds flat with an instant-responding screen. I can also instantly load a TTC Metropass now, or instantly buy a new card in 15 seconds flat.

PICS:

9572F881-4B2F-4092-A94D-708D6FA7F18D.jpeg
3B66095D-B890-4971-8F6E-F116A71DF502.jpeg

1110AA96-E5B7-4F75-B686-376DCA08304D.jpeg

304A4934-889C-4471-A2BF-CF8C79DBEAD5.jpeg

2634EBB4-2092-4E1F-8C93-AA4F0FD0922C.jpeg
B1373A9F-428A-45DC-84D6-FAC9E9CEA7EF.jpeg
FF50C22B-DDD5-4CB4-BF75-FE10C69696F4.jpeg

Cash payment with coins and bills on a fast machine too.
So much more equitable of a machine!

Attachments

• 1110AA96-E5B7-4F75-B686-376DCA08304D.jpeg
    1110AA96-E5B7-4F75-B686-376DCA08304D.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 524
  • 2634EBB4-2092-4E1F-8C93-AA4F0FD0922C.jpeg
    2634EBB4-2092-4E1F-8C93-AA4F0FD0922C.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 462
  • B1373A9F-428A-45DC-84D6-FAC9E9CEA7EF.jpeg
    B1373A9F-428A-45DC-84D6-FAC9E9CEA7EF.jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 491
  • FF50C22B-DDD5-4CB4-BF75-FE10C69696F4.jpeg
    FF50C22B-DDD5-4CB4-BF75-FE10C69696F4.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 445
  • 9572F881-4B2F-4092-A94D-708D6FA7F18D.jpeg
    9572F881-4B2F-4092-A94D-708D6FA7F18D.jpeg
    156.6 KB · Views: 580
  • 3B66095D-B890-4971-8F6E-F116A71DF502.jpeg
    3B66095D-B890-4971-8F6E-F116A71DF502.jpeg
    198.4 KB · Views: 660
  • 304A4934-889C-4471-A2BF-CF8C79DBEAD5.jpeg
    304A4934-889C-4471-A2BF-CF8C79DBEAD5.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:
I was in Lisbon this week and as a visitor, I saw the importance of a unified transportation card. What might be obvious to locals, is complex and completely foreign to visitors.

At the airport, presented with multiple different cards, one for each system and one that works for all of them, after consulting with a local, I bought a pass for the Lisbon Metro that also worked on their regional rail but I was somehow supposed to know that when boarding the regional rail, I had to tap my pass on a machine and select a destination. Of course I had no way of knowing that so I just tapped at the gates to get in. When I arrived at my destination half an hour away, I tapped on the exit gates and had no way out. I was told I had to go back to Lisbon, tap my card on the machine, input my destination and come back. Yeah right. I hopped the gates and waved goodbye to the guard.

I'm really aware of these kinds of limitations in Toronto now. Tapping off on GO but not on the TTC is one of those. A visitor would have no idea they have to tap off unless there are gates at the destination physically requiring them to. PRESTO is actually pretty intuitive in the grand scheme of things. You load it up and you have access to transit in the city and regionally. VIA rail is the only possible point of confusion for a visitor to Union Station. Having one card for all public transportation province wide is going to be seen in the long term as worth the hassle and cost to make the conversion.

Last edited:
I was in Lisbon this week and as a visitor, I saw the importance of a unified transportation card. What might be obvious to locals, is complex and completely foreign to visitors.

Lisbon is actually a huge PITA if you stumble on a few quirks of their fare system.

The "cash card" mode is great but make sure you don't accidentally select a "trip card" (which has slightly lower rates IIRC) as that locks the card into a single system. Trip mode is where you pre-purchase 5 trips at €2 each instead of loading €10 onto the card.

If you get "trip cards" then you need 1 for Lisbon, 1 for regional rail, 1 for the ferry, and 1 for anything on the other end of those regional services (like the Almada tram). Best of all, they all look exactly the same (except the ferry which spits out a blue card instead of green).

Cash mode is great. I really wish they'd eliminate the ability to pre-pay for a fixed number of trips though as it causes unnecessary headaches when the gate for the next service announces "cannot read card".

Also, careful that you don't pull the card before it is finished writing. It's really easy to pay for a balance load and brick your card; in windy stations hold your card in place until the machine says it's complete.

Last edited:

At the airport, presented with multiple different cards, one for each system and one that works for all of them, after consulting with a local, I bought a pass for the Lisbon Metro that also worked on their regional rail but I was somehow supposed to know that when boarding the regional rail, I had to tap my pass on a machine and select a destination. Of course I had no way of knowing that so I just tapped at the gates to get in. When I arrived at my destination half an hour away, I tapped on the exit gates and had no way out. I was told I had to go back to Lisbon, tap my card on the machine, input my destination and come back. Yeah right. I hopped the gates and waved goodbye to the guard.

I'm really aware of these kinds of limitations in Toronto now. Tapping off on GO but not on the TTC is one of those. A visitor would have no idea they have to tap off unless there are gates at the destination physically requiring them to. PRESTO is actually pretty intuitive in the grand scheme of things. You load it up and you have access to transit in the city and regionally. VIA rail is the only possible point of confusion for a visitor to Union Station. Having one card for all public transportation province wide is going to be seen in the long term as worth the hassle and cost to make the conversion.
Well, if you arrive at Pearson and take the UPX you have to tap on and off at the UPX machine NOT the GO one. That's hardly intuitive!

I wish it was easier for TTC/Presto/Metrolinx to reprogram the "timed transfer" system though -- that's a goal finally coming this late summer.

Yes, Presto is fairly forgiving once it works properly:
-- Even when I accidentally forget to tap-out, I'm only charged extra (e.g. longest trip leg); it does not block me from exiting a system.
-- If I'm out a lot of money, GO Transit office at Union York Concorse will usually refund me if I go there immediately and explain my Presto mistake.
-- A Presto card can behave both as a pass and a cash card simultaneously. Pass for the specific transit system (e.g. TTC), and cash card for other transit systems (e.g. GO)
-- If I lose my card, all my passes and cash balances are protected. (Need to register card though!)
-- I can reload in person (instant), at vending (instant), or online (24 hour). Few let you load online. And even if they did, no fare system worldwide has instant online reload, since Presto cards don't have built-in radios to sync in realtime.

Some inefficiencies
-- Flakiness during rollout (oooohhhh headachey, out-of-service machines and faregates)
-- Lack of display of remaining balance on TTC machines (TTC policy fault, boo to you TTC).
-- Lack of vending machines (instant) in some cities such as Hamilton means forcing people to reload online (24 hours)

All resolvable over time, it is certainly getting more and more competitive to world fare systems. The Presto system is very reliable at GO stations now, so hopefully TTC catches up (deployment teething problems)

Hopefully as Presto matures more, other cities (e.g. Kitchener-Waterloo and others) will merge their farecards to Presto. When the time is right. I think it's worth it.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Back