News   Apr 25, 2024
 394     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

And with PRESTO, if I tap my wallet, can the reader do anything with the rest of the credit cards in my wallet?

For now, no because credit cards aren't accepted. However, if the TTC does start accepting credit cards then this would be problematic, since your credit card might get charged instead of your Presto card.

Soo...when are they planning to update the Presto website to the new look? You couldn't even tell there's a new card design from the website.

Haven’t been on the subway for a while, just noticed a new gigantic Presto kiosk machine in my station. Hopefully it breaks down less.
Well, hate to break it to you (pun fully intended) there's one newly arrived a few weeks ago in the northern underpass tunnels at GO Bloor Station, broken: "Cash Only" (No credit, debit, Presto or other cards for payment for tickets).

Soo...when are they planning to update the Presto website to the new look? You couldn't even tell there's a new card design from the website.
Why does the card design matter? If it works properly it could be solid black as far as I am concerned. The TTC Metropass has new designs each month, what is important is how it works (and that it works,)

Why does the card design matter? If it works properly it could be solid black as far as I am concerned. The TTC Metropass has new designs each month, what is important is how it works (and that it works,)

I'm not complaining about the design, I'm saying that newly issued cards look completely different than the one on the Presto website. It's not a super big deal, but visual consistancy would be nice (and potentially eliminate confusion for new/occasional users).

It is already capable of working perfectly fine. Metrolinx is simply choosing not to support it.

False. It only worked if the transit system tied into ApplePay, which gave Apple a cut of everything. Per the linked article:

The Information reports that Apple will be taking a big leap in iOS 12, giving some third-party developers full access to the NFC chip inside iPhones, first introduced with iPhone 6.

The report says Apple wants the iPhone to be used in many more contactless interactions beyond Apple Pay payments, like acting as a hotel door key or as a virtual transit card for easier transportation.

Apple started down this road with iOS 11, by adding the CoreNFC framework. This framework allows apps to use the NFC chip as an arbitrary scanner of RFID tags. However, it is very limited.

Full access is what the Android NFC APIs have offered for years, and would allow Presto to develop an app that's independent of Apple Pay for its functionality.

That's odd, the linked article says nothing about that.
The article states that the phones in Japan that worked as virtual transit cards had a custom chip that was proprietary to that transit system, meaning all phones in Japan came with that chip installed. Presto with NFC doesn’t need said custom chips to work with the readers. There’s a difference between Apple Pay and the NFC technology present in all iPhones newer than the 6. We’ll just have to wait until WWDC to see what Apple plans to give in terms of NFC APIs for developers without a direct partnership.

We spent hundreds of millions extra rolling out Bank of Presto. Not the card or even the machine, but that account which for most customers accounts has a $5 to $20 balance because Metrolinx wanted to earn interest on the float.

Has Metrolinx ever confirmed that this is the case, or are you just assuming this as it is logical.

Has Metrolinx ever confirmed that this is the case, or are you just assuming this as it is logical.

It's listed as a revenue stream (that and abandoned funds IIRC). Projections were pretty non-trivial; tens of millions per year.

While waiting in line to tap for GO about 1 in 3 cards has a $100+ balance. Even seen a few over $1000.

I don't know how they invest it; most likely 50% in Ontario Bonds @ 2.8% and 50% in a trust account of some type to cover seasonal variations (I imagine it drops in December/January).

Last edited:

Back