988     0 
News   Jul 16, 2019
 426     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

wopchop

Building Toronto
Member Bio
Reaction score
So someone at Presto accidentally hit the wrong button and cancelled thousands of cards? This was also BEFOFE the scheduled maintenance of the Presto system from the 17th-19th. I’m glad that they ensured it would not happen again, but it’s surprising that a mass cancellation of cards can be done with such little effort.
Wait, you're surprised that our own poorly thought out and absurdly expensive farecard system has the equivalent of a self-destruct button?

TransitBart

Member Bio
Reaction score
Although hard to believe, systems with their human components are not infallible. It's like when Windows asks us "Are you sure (Y?N)?" One distracted moment...

Or in a Unix environment which has zero verification questions - **insert deadly secret code** "rm -r *.*" It's actually fairly easy to make a mistake in life. I wish I could say I had made few.

EastYorkTTCFan

Member Bio
Reaction score
New Presto reload machine at King. Screen is way more responsive and seems a little more faster than the current ones.
Does it ask you if you want to cancel your transaction one screen after you approved aprovid it theough or is that onl a feture of the ones used for go transit?

mdrejhon

Member Bio
Reaction score
Does it ask you if you want to cancel your transaction one screen after you approved aprovid it theough or is that onl a feture of the ones used for go transit?
The small Presto add-value machines have always been light years faster than the GO ticket machines.

The cancel after approve only occurs if you remove your Presto card too quickly after approve. Keep the Presto card in the slot until asked to remove it. The new value is written to the Presto card a few seconds after the Interac machine says "Approved", so do not yank your Presto too fast.

canarob

Member Bio
Reaction score
It's nice to see PRESTO bring in some common sense to transit fares in the GTA (2-hour transfers, GO-TTC discount, etc.). I'd still like to see the TTC take a "progressive discount" approach to monthly passes similar to how GO fares work (rides becoming free towards the end of the month once you've hit the magic number of trips, etc.).

WillTo

Member Bio
Reaction score
Was on one of those TTC Premium Express routes for the first time today. Apparently some people keep 2 Presto cards to pay the double fare!

Megaton327

Member Bio
Reaction score
Why would one do that?
Your choices on express routes, assuming you are a regular rider (not occasional cash fare) but not regular enough to warrant a metropass with a downtown express sticker, are A) pay with 2 presto cards, B) pay with 1 presto card and a token/ticket, C) pay with 2 tokens/tickets.

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I'd wonder if they'd go for that.

I keep a spare around for guests, so easy enough. Though I've got a small supply of tokens still to use at some point.

TransitBart

Member Bio
Reaction score
Your choices on express routes, assuming you are a regular rider (not occasional cash fare) but not regular enough to warrant a metropass with a downtown express sticker, are A) pay with 2 presto cards, B) pay with 1 presto card and a token/ticket, C) pay with 2 tokens/tickets.
The software can't take 2 fares with one tap on an Express bus? Now I believe that MLinx requires $5.0M to upgrade to a 2 hour transfer. This is loopy.

WillTo

Member Bio
Reaction score