News   Jul 11, 2024
 5.2K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 817     5 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 780     1 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Ideally I'd like to see TTC Presto reader screens display the exact charge deducted. And 2-hour timed transfers to be deployed ASAP.
Won't happen as the TTC legal department say that it would have to have audio as well do to the Disabilities Act and before you say other systems do it the answer is they haven't been sued to be compliant with the rules for things like stop announcements.

I was not able to tap on despite having a 1 dollar balance .... has this rule changed ? I ended up taking a uber.

Yes registered and TTC, It was at Main St Station.

I think you may have been too far below the threshold for it to be able to go into a negative balance. If for example, you tapped on with $3.00 on your card you would be fine but if it's too far below the maximum fare by the system then it will reject it.

Last edited:
It’s really disappointing that the driver does not have control over the Presto readers on the TTC, while all other transit agencies do. Who’s idea was it for this little immediate control?

It’s really disappointing that the driver does not have control over the Presto readers on the TTC, while all other transit agencies do. Who’s idea was it for this little immediate control?

One of the main points of Presto is to further remove the driver from fare matters. The TTC runs slowly enough without drivers having to support Presto cards, multiple fare/companion purchases, cash loads, troubleshooting, balance checks, etc.

Question........... let's say I use my Metropass 60 times a month {which many do or even more} which would cost about $200/month if I paid single fare, does the Presto card stop deducting any further fare pass the point of the $146 I would pay for the Metropass? If not why not and why would a daily user bother with a Presto card if it would cost more?

Question........... let's say I use my Metropass 60 times a month {which many do or even more} which would cost about $200/month if I paid single fare, does the Presto card stop deducting any further fare pass the point of the $146 I would pay for the Metropass? If not why not and why would a daily user bother with a Presto card if it would cost more?
No. There is no monthly capping for Presto on the TTC. This is only for GO. People would use Presto with funds if they don’t break even vs loading a pass.

For the TTC there is no monthly cap. If you are going to use it to the cost or more for a monthly pass you can purchase one on it. Currently only on the Presto website or at shoppers drug mart that sells them. There has been some talk about caps for the daily pass and for the weekly pass.

Other transit agency's have their "Monthly Pass" electronically loaded onto Presto cards. The Presto system recognizes these passes when someone taps before the system deducts a cash fare. I believe the TTC will be doing this too with the eventual elimination of all paper passes on all transit systems using Presto.

Other transit agency's have their "Monthly Pass" electronically loaded onto Presto cards. The Presto system recognizes these passes when someone taps before the system deducts a cash fare. I believe the TTC will be doing this too with the eventual elimination of all paper passes on all transit systems using Presto.
Adult TTC Monthly passed already exist on Presto. Youth and Senior are coming next year I believe.

You can already add monthly pass to Presto for TTC.

Back