News   Jun 20, 2024
 414     1 
News   Jun 20, 2024
 1.5K     6 
News   Jun 20, 2024
 608     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Metrolinx is covering most of the cost. The only part the TTC is covering is the new fare gates. Everything else from the readers to the reload machines is Metrolinx,

on that note, when will they install the rest of the gates? seems to be awefully quiet on that front lately

on that note, when will they install the rest of the gates? seems to be awefully quiet on that front lately
Sometime soon I would guess they only gom the approval from the board and city council last month to go ahead with the original 26 stations that had Preto jury rigged onto the old turnstiles.

Remember when a contractor was selected to install a credit card system costing less than $100m.

Hopefully trash them since they don't work half the time. Tried reloading at Islington the other day and both machines weren't working.
Even when they worked, it's so slow. It's like back in year 200 where computers often hang with 128MB of RAM.

Remember when a contractor was selected to install a credit card system costing less than $100m.
Remember when TTC and Metrolinx spent a year or so disagreeing on how much it would cost, with TTC saying it was going to cost a hundred million or so more than Metrolinx projected! I guess TTC was right. The good news is that Metrolinx has no chance of going after TTC for the "unexpected" extra cost. Though the ten-year renewal will be intersting.

As noted on another thread, the Metrolinx Board is hearing a PRESO update today and one of the items being reported is:
ttc.JPG

From: http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pdf/board_agenda/20170628/20170628_BoardMtg_PRESTO_Report_EN.pdf

Attachments

• ttc.JPG
    ttc.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 221
Just a quick and somewhat belated note to thank everyone who replied to my question; I meant to follow up on this earlier but, well, life, you know. :) I will keep in mind what everyone has said about transferring using a Presto card as you've given me some valuable information.

I've created an account for my card so that I can track my usage online. I think the part I'll like best about Presto is that I can choose the amount to add to the card and when I add it. I'm self-employed and don't use the TTC every day so that flexibility re the amount I carry on my card is important to me; I used to work in an office and used a MetroPass but I can't justify the expense now.

So, off I go, Presto card proudly in hand, beeping my way around the city!:cool:

I've had my first negative Presto experience! First in over 5 years!

I lost my card last week and easily canceled it and had the balance transferred to a new card which arrived pretty quickly by mail (Amazing feature and service - to give credit where credit is due). I figured I needed to register this new card, and followed the instructions included in the letter, but none of the voice prompts on the phone matched what the letter said. After experimenting with some options, I finally found one that noted that my card was active and had a balance of around $13 on it (exactly what my lost card had).

Thinking everything was fine, I headed to the subway, tapped my card, only for it to be declined. I went to a reload machine to see if there was an issue, and the card didn't work there either. I was told to go to the Presto outlet at Union to correct it, but then realized I would have to pay an additional fare to get back home from there. Ended up skipping that and just decided to sign into my online account to see what the issue was. Turns out my card wasn't active and I just needed to press a button and wait 24 hours for it to load.

It would be nice if all the information was consistent between the phone service, online, and in-person. Nearly made an unwanted trip and spent $3.25 to fix something that could've been clarified so easily.

Who is responsible for covering the costs of this overrun?

The 905, in part anyways. The service agreements with all 905 transit agencies were renegotiated last year, ahead of their 10-year expiry dates. The cost to the 905 agencies went up significantly. At least one agency seriously considered going back to paper tickets and transfers, as that would have been cheaper than Presto at the new rates. There was a lot of back room politicking to hush the whole thing up. The only plausible explanation for the hike in fees - given that the 905 was already on Presto, and in steady state - was TTC's entry to the Presto network.

There is a staff report to Mississauga Council in their archives about this, I'm not able to find a link at the moment.

- Paul

The 905, in part anyways. The service agreements with all 905 transit agencies were renegotiated last year, ahead of their 10-year expiry dates. The cost to the 905 agencies went up significantly. At least one agency seriously considered going back to paper tickets and transfers, as that would have been cheaper than Presto at the new rates. There was a lot of back room politicking to hush the whole thing up. The only plausible explanation for the hike in fees - given that the 905 was already on Presto, and in steady state - was TTC's entry to the Presto network.

There is a staff report to Mississauga Council in their archives about this, I'm not able to find a link at the moment.

- Paul

Do all transit agencies have ten-year service agreement with Metrolinx for Presto? Do these service agreements lock in the amount each transit agency pays Metrolinx for using Presto? Finally, why were the service agreements with the 905 transit agencies renegotiated ahead of the ten-year expiry dates?

My Presto online account is now working and I noticed something about a loyalty discount but was unable to find any further information. Can anyone shed some light on a possible loyalty discount programme for TTC Presto users?

My Presto online account is now working and I noticed something about a loyalty discount but was unable to find any further information. Can anyone shed some light on a possible loyalty discount programme for TTC Presto users?
As far as I know, the TTC 'loyalty program" or daily caps will be implemented later in 2017. This from the last TTC CEO's Report:

Device availability continues to improve and PRESTO have commenced a trial whereby customers can buy PRESTO products at select Shoppers Drug Mart stores. As well, a limited number of Metro passes for adults and seniors were made available on PRESTO June 1. Staff will monitor the customer experience before making more passes available, including adding additional pass products.

Do all transit agencies have ten-year service agreement with Metrolinx for Presto? Do these service agreements lock in the amount each transit agency pays Metrolinx for using Presto? Finally, why were the service agreements with the 905 transit agencies renegotiated ahead of the ten-year expiry dates?

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...presto-fees-to-gouge-905-councillors-say.html

My computer is having trouble pulling the underlying staff report but it was from the March 8, 2017 Durham Council meeting.

https://www.insauga.com/mississauga-set-to-pay-more-for-presto

https://www.mississauga.com/news-story/7253251-new-presto-deal-could-cost-city-6m-per-year/

http://www.york.ca/wps/wcm/connect/...76510f57974/apr+6+PRESTO+pres.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

- Paul

Back