News   Apr 25, 2024
 22     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 327     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

The case for moving beyond Presto is cost. Presto consumes 5.5% of fares paid. The writeup suggests that Ventra charges are only $16K per month, although there will be banking fees for its use just as there are for credit or debit purchases in stores.
Imagine if that were reduced to 2% - it's the equivalent of a two year freeze on fares. Put another way, every time you step on TTC, you pay 15 cents just to process your fare payment.

- Paul

Meanwhile, when going back to London last summer as well I had a few inconveniences with topping up including having to wait in more lines and problems with machines taking cards and money. All eliminated with contactless in Chicago. Which I've heard London want to implement ASAP, including discontinuing Oyster because apparently it's expensive to maintain.

London's Oyster system already takes contactless credit/debit cards; I was able to use my Visa to touch in/out when I had forgotten my Oyster when I visited London last summer. And like Adjei said, contactless card and mobile payment support is all going to be available on Presto soon anyways so it will become quite similar to systems like Oyster and Ventra.

"PRESTO is currently upgrading its central operating system to enable essential features for the rollout on the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), allow for greater transit agency interoperability, and improve customer self-serve functions...All PRESTO services will be restored by early morning on January 18, 2016."

Maybe the TTC 2hr transfer "issue" will be resolved after the upgrade this weekend?

"PRESTO is currently upgrading its central operating system to enable essential features for the rollout on the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), allow for greater transit agency interoperability, and improve customer self-serve functions...All PRESTO services will be restored by early morning on January 18, 2016."

Maybe the TTC 2hr transfer "issue" will be resolved after the upgrade this weekend?

It was already mentioned a few pages back that the 2 hour transfer would be eliminated with this upgrade. Managed to take advantage of it one last time today!

It's been great while it lasted. Definitely had me using transit MORE than I did before!

It was already mentioned a few pages back that the 2 hour transfer would be eliminated with this upgrade. Managed to take advantage of it one last time today!

It's been great while it lasted. Definitely had me using transit MORE than I did before!

Of course, now we'll have to see if the TTC transfer rules actually work - which some have suggested from incorrect locations may not.

Of course, now we'll have to see if the TTC transfer rules actually work - which some have suggested from incorrect locations may not.

And I guess I'll still be able to get away with two hour transfers by simply taking a different route home.

ie. Spadina/Bremner to Union via the 510, Union to the Eaton Centre.... do a bit of shopping.

Then to head home, hop on the 501 Queen and head towards Bathurst, then Bathurst back down to Fort York.

Those would all be valid transfers.

TTC Transit Enforcement Special Constable and Transit Fare Inspectors would also would like to see those people as well.
I actually had my pass checked for the first time ever riding the TTC this weekend. I was the only one to get on the back doors during this time, and thus I was the only one they checked in a 15 minute period. At this rate, checking my pass must have cost at least $50. The officers were friendly at least.

I actually had my pass checked for the first time ever riding the TTC this weekend. I was the only one to get on the back doors during this time, and thus I was the only one they checked in a 15 minute period. At this rate, checking my pass must have cost at least $50. The officers were friendly at least.
It is clearly impossible (or at least not cost-effective) to check that all passengers have proof of payment and the philosophy of random checks is that you never know when you will be checked and thus will always have a valid 'travel document'. Obviously the checks need to be sufficiently frequent that people will not (correctly) assume the probability of being checked is miniscule while not being so frequent that the cost of making them is too high. It is not reasonable to say that because the Fare Inspectors only looked at one person's proof of payment means that their work was a waste of time/money. I suspect that the fact they were visible probably reduced fare evasion - on that vehicle and elsewhere.

...just preparing for the arses that will abuse the system on the #86 Scarborough and #116 Morningside buses

Is there a reason you singled out those routes in particular? You do realize that fare evasion happens everywhere, right?

If I had a dime for every time I've seen someone walk through the bus terminal without paying in the past year, I'd be a dollar richer.

I've found them very friendly as well during the on-board inspections. Actually had a couple of nice chats with them--first time I got inspected I was with a friend who'd paid by Presto, he took out one of the new smartphone-based Presto fare checkers like they use on UPX, I commented that was cool compared to the massive GO/VIVA/etc units but then it didn't work so we had a good laugh about Metrolinx/Presto's reliability. On a non-packed streetcar they're usually pretty polite and friendly doing their rounds. They're more strictly business when checking at Spadina/Union due to the volume of people, but still not bad.

In comparison I've found that GO's fare inspectors are pretty gruff and a bit rude a good portion of the time, and I've even had a negative experience on UPX--I got on at Bloor, and contrary to the "please take a seat, a member of our friendly staff will be around shortly to check tickets" which had also been my experience on previous rides, one of their staff ran up to me, loudly yelling "SIR, you need to show me your ticket RIGHT NOW!" for no good reason, the instant I stepped in the door.

Glad that, in one area, the TTC is actually doing better than other agencies...

It is clearly impossible (or at least not cost-effective) to check that all passengers have proof of payment and the philosophy of random checks is that you never know when you will be checked and thus will always have a valid 'travel document'. Obviously the checks need to be sufficiently frequent that people will not (correctly) assume the probability of being checked is miniscule while not being so frequent that the cost of making them is too high. It is not reasonable to say that because the Fare Inspectors only looked at one person's proof of payment means that their work was a waste of time/money. I suspect that the fact they were visible probably reduced fare evasion - on that vehicle and elsewhere.
Two officers checking one fare during a 20 minute period is not what I could ideal performance. I'm not saying they needed to check every passenger on the train, but they're not making their salary back at this rate.

Back