News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 394     0 

Metrolinx: Other Items (catch all)

He sidestepped Munro's admittedly loaded question, and he (Verster) was more than a little disingenuous with his answer (gist) "This happens everywhere". It doesn't, or other cities (metropolitan areas) wouldn't be a generation or more ahead. It may happen by degree, but the GTHA and Metrolinx are noted for being political pawns.

Verster's (gist) "planning and overviews are now more accountable than a year and a half ago" is perplexing.

He did sidestep the question, with an attempt to belittle - both directly and by way of a longwinded non-answer. But I wasn't surprised since at 36min Verster, in the same breath, mentioned "taxpayers" with the follow up that Metrolinx is "open for business". Hmm, wonder where he got those talking points from. Get the feeling that Metrolinx's next Townhall will be reduced to a 30sec video on Ontario News Now. Just Lindsey Vanstone lobbing a question or two to the premier, that's it.

^ Thank You! I could only bare to watch the part indicated by @Northern Light, albeit I recommend starting a few minutes prior to the time NL indicates, just to prep what follows, but you nailed it!
with an attempt to belittle - both directly and by way of a longwinded non-answer. But I wasn't surprised since at 36min Verster, in the same breath, mentioned "taxpayers" with the follow up that Metrolinx is "open for business". Hmm, wonder where he got those talking points from.
Exactly what I noted. It was a purposeful nod to His Master Almighty. I was looking for the puppet strings as he talked. And his answer was pap BS. Paris, London, etc, etc, now show how politics has been *greatly removed* from decision making. He snivels about how (gist)"We just present the plans and research, and the politicians are the ones that enact it". Well duh! That's *exactly* the problem!

Watch Steve Munro's blog closely the next few days for some scathing comment.

If someone can find some more gems in there, please post timings, as I can't bear to watch the whole 'fireside chat' with Uncle Verster and Gang. Brutal...

"

M=million, thousand, billion, mass, minute?
That's actually a fair question.
To me, M is Million if referring to dollars, and M is Mega if referring to anything else (i.e. 10^6 - which also works out to a million).
Mass is "m", while I could possibly accept "m" for minutes in this world where we are trying to save every keystroke, I would say "min" is more correct.

In French, I am not sure if "M" would mean the same thing.

M=million, thousand, billion, mass, minute?

Thousand has largely been replaced with "k".

Personally, I think of M as mega rather than million, conveniently they work out the same. Besides, 10 Megadollars is better than 10 million dollars right?

This is a good point:
The auditor said that Del Duca didn’t use the ministerial channels available to him to direct Metrolinx’s planning process. He could have used written directives to tell the agency to add the stations, which “would have demonstrated greater transparency and accountability in that it would have signalled clear ownership of the decision.”

On the contrary, the report seems to indicate that many of Metrolinx's overruns were the result of politicians changing plans. As I recall, a lot of that was a result of the Ford brothers...
Exactly. This is literally what the AG wrote:

Conclusions
• Metrolinx’s ability to cost-effectively plan and deliver an integrated transportation system has been impacted by changes to plans requested by both municipal and provincial governments, resulting in project delays and unnecessary costs being incurred.

Page 2: http://www.auditor.on.ca/en/content/news/18_summaries/2018AR_summary_3.07.pdf

Back