News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 373     0 

Metrolinx: Other Items (catch all)

I almost shudder to imagine what congestion is going to be like in this city if it takes yet another decade to deliver electrified regional rail. For a city growing at the rate of Toronto, there is a great level of urgency to deliver infrastructure to support that growth.

This is great and all, it just seems incredibly ponderous. For something first announced in 2011 to take 13 whole years just to get to the end of the development phase is excessive. One hopes this does not mean we will be waiting until the 2030s for meaningful improvements.
We will not be waiting until the 2030s for meaningful improvements.

I can assure you with 100% certainty that we will see all-day service on the Kitchener line by 2016, on the Barrie line and Stouffville line by 2017, service every 15 minutes during the day on Lakeshore East by 2018 and Lakeshore West by 2021.

This is a money issue, at least for the City/Region, isn’t it? Metrolinx was only committing to the platforms or just the bare essentials for a station, while Waterloo was footing the station building. Maybe they’re waiting for both sides to commit the funding.
No, they both agreed to proceed without the building, with Metrolinx building the platforms and the Region building the parking lot and bus terminal. It was supposed to break ground last year, I don't know what happened.

We will not be waiting until the 2030s for meaningful improvements.

I can assure you with 100% certainty that we will see all-day service on the Kitchener line by 2016, on the Barrie line and Stouffville line by 2017, service every 15 minutes during the day on Lakeshore East by 2018 and Lakeshore West by 2021.
Maybe for varying definitions of meaningful improvement! This is not relative to the purported $12B+ investment of GO Expansion for early works and off-corridor improvements, and $60B overall.

I almost shudder to imagine what congestion is going to be like in this city if it takes yet another decade to deliver electrified regional rail. For a city growing at the rate of Toronto, there is a great level of urgency to deliver infrastructure to support that growth.
I agree. I mean this only as an observation, but whenever I commute across the GTA, it is truly staggering how much of the region experiences congestion almost all the time. I struggle to think of a city without electrified regional rail and/or a strong subway network that can operate under these conditions. At one extreme, places like Houston have gone all-in on highways. On the other, the entire eastern seaboard has long passed the threshold of highways alone. It doesn’t need to be said that LA does not function well, lol.

Anywho, we clearly have taken too long to do this, but GO expansion will certainly be the lynchpin to make every other transit investment seem minuscule- if not help make those inflated expenditures worth it a second time over.

Maybe for varying definitions of meaningful improvement! This is not relative to the purported $12B+ investment of GO Expansion for early works and off-corridor improvements, and $60B overall.
Capture.PNG

Yes, in my definition of "meaningful improvement", doubling the number of trains on weekdays, and tripling them on weekends does qualify.

The improvements should have been much faster, agreed, but that doesn't make them not meaningful.

And obviously this is not the end result of the investment, it's very much a work in progress. Key being that it's in progress, and not something which has been sitting idle since 2011 like you suggested.

Last edited:
According to this LinkedIn post, Infrastructure Ontario will be taking over TOC development for the GO and LRT stations from Metrolinx in addition to their TOC subway program.

View attachment 482146
IO has officially taken over TOC development for the GO and LRT stations from Metrolinx.

1687209904380.png

^I wonder if this will jumpstart the stalled Woodbine station.

There is certainly room for bad press, with the hugely expensive 401/409 tunnel sitting completed but unused due to lack of action at Woodbine.

- Paul

^I wonder if this will jumpstart the stalled Woodbine station.

There is certainly room for bad press, with the hugely expensive 401/409 tunnel sitting completed but unused due to lack of action at Woodbine.
It might move barriers to running track through there. I'm not sure if it would speed up the station (how will it now be funded) or slow it down.

IO has officially taken over TOC development for the GO and LRT stations from Metrolinx.

View attachment 486537
My only question is why? Why are we shifting around transit responsibilities away from Metrolinx? Seems like a lot of big things are becoming IO’s domain.

My only question is why? Why are we shifting around transit responsibilities away from Metrolinx? Seems like a lot of big things are becoming IO’s domain.
Look how slow the proposed TOCs that Metrolinx is responsible for have moved. They clearly can’t deliver, so it’s IO’s turn.

Back