News   Jul 23, 2024
 251     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 326     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 943     1 

Metrolinx/GO Georgetown Corridor Project

I think it's clear that the Westonites are opposed to more rail traffic and are using the downsides of diesel as an excuse. Would they really be satisfied even if the corridor was electrified?

It really is hard to say.

From my perspective, their original opposition seemed to be focused on the issue around the closure of three roads that would tear their community apart.

When the road closure issue was solved it seemed that they shifted to the idea that it was an elite service and did not serve the community. So that was dealt with by the proposal to have the trains stop in Weston.

Then it shifted to diesel and its' negative features.

I am sure the people in Weston would say that we should be thankful that their diligence on this will eventually lead to a much better service/corridor.....but it can easily be interpreted as an attempt at a death by a thousand swords attack on the whole expansion.

I guess only time will tell.

I think it's clear that the Westonites are opposed to more rail traffic and are using the downsides of diesel as an excuse. Would they really be satisfied even if the corridor was electrified?

If the argument is a noise argument, then the answer is no. Should we electrify the line as soon as practical.. Yeah. That's a brainer. Will electric trains solve all the perceived problems people have with this project? No way.

I'm not saying keep it diesel, and I never was. I'm saying let's be realistic about the noise and vibrations that electric trains can and can't reduce.

Who are we walling in, and who are we walling out, if not ourselves?

What an idiot, thats the whole idea.

Yes the wall will be constructed primarily for noise reduction purposes, but it has a second and more important function imo – to save lives, by keeping trespassers out.

The railway track is not a public thoroughfares or a pedestrian path. This wall is not restricting access because access is prohibited in the first place! There is absolutely no reason for someone to be there and yet I see it almost every day.

I’m sick and bleeping tired of nearly running over some irresponsible moron who decided he wanted to take a short cut because it’ll save him 2 minutes or something. Whats more important here, that 2 minutes or the rest of your life? Oh it’ll be a short cut alright, in one sense. These people seem to not get it, no matter how much we try to educate the public (i.e operation lifesaver, or the national rail safety education program). Or worse yet seeing children playing chicken with the train.

A chain linked fence is clearly not the answer. If I could get a dollar for every hole I’ve seen in one I’d be millionaire. CN itself doesn’t even bother with repairing them anymore. They see no point in that because by the end of the week someone will have cut another hole into it anyways. That’s if there even is one to begin with! Many areas don’t even have that, its just an open path - to a tragic accident. No accident is not the proper terminology, thats a disservice to those who have actually died in such a manner. Death by misadventure, sheer ignorance or stupidity is more accurate.

Walls are necessary because its been proven in blood of the numerous deaths we witness every year. Never mind the hundreds of other close calls. What other solution is there? Bury the whole thing? Does anyone think this province or this country has the money or will to do that? Walls offer a level of security that we can afford. Have you ever seen someone take a ladder with them to scale one? Or dig a hole under one just to get by it? That just doesn’t happen. Incidents at level crossings is another area of concern. Thankfully that aspect has already been addressed with the planned elimination of all level crossings on the line at least up until the airport link.

but back to my post pertaining to the wall, not only will it be a sound barrier, but also a visual barrier and a magnet for vandalism. IMO, such a wall would be ugly.

I disagree compeltely.

Sure that prime view of the railway tracks that some people seem to cherish so much is about to disappear. To be replaced with a graffiti covered wall. But really, if the choice is simply about aesthetics value vs safety I don't believe there’s much of a debate. Saving peoples lives is a little bit more important no?

Which is why I find such wall’s along the tracks to be such a beautiful sight. Its far better than seeing red... :(

What an idiot, thats the whole idea.

Yes the wall will be constructed primarily for noise reduction purposes, but it has a second and more important function imo – to save lives, by keeping trespassers out.

The railway track is not a public thoroughfares or a pedestrian path. This wall is not restricting access because access is prohibited in the first place! There is absolutely no reason for someone to be there and yet I see it almost every day.

I’m sick and bleeping tired of nearly running over some irresponsible moron who decided he wanted to take a short cut because it’ll save him 2 minutes or something. Whats more important here, that 2 minutes or the rest of your life? Oh it’ll be a short cut alright, in one sense. These people seem to not get it, no matter how much we try to educate the public (i.e operation lifesaver, or the national rail safety education program). Or worse yet seeing children playing chicken with the train.

A chain linked fence is clearly not the answer. If I could get a dollar for every hole I’ve seen in one I’d be millionaire. CN itself doesn’t even bother with repairing them anymore. They see no point in that because by the end of the week someone will have cut another hole into it anyways. That’s if there even is one to begin with! Many areas don’t even have that, its just an open path - to a tragic accident. No accident is not the proper terminology, thats a disservice to those who have actually died in such a manner. Death by misadventure, sheer ignorance or stupidity is more accurate.

Walls are necessary because its been proven in blood of the numerous deaths we witness every year. Never mind the hundreds of other close calls. What other solution is there? Bury the whole thing? Does anyone think this province or this country has the money or will to do that? Walls offer a level of security that we can afford. Have you ever seen someone take a ladder with them to scale one? Or dig a hole under one just to get by it? That just doesn’t happen. Incidents at level crossings is another area of concern. Thankfully that aspect has already been addressed with the planned elimination of all level crossings on the line at least up until the airport link.

I disagree compeltely.

Sure that prime view of the railway tracks that some people seem to cherish so much is about to disappear. To be replaced with a graffiti covered wall. But really, if the choice is simply about aesthetics value vs safety I don't believe there’s much of a debate. Saving peoples lives is a little bit more important no?

Which is why I find such wall’s along the tracks to be such a beautiful sight. Its far better than seeing red... :(

safety is above aesthetics of having a wall. i agree. but wouldn't building more pedestrian crossings, expecially in areas where there is high trespassing prevent people from going dangerous route? if there's a pedestrian crossing every so often, there wouldn't be a need to cut a hole into a fence.

in the article they said a 5.5M tall concrete wall. does anybody know if it will be precast? because i've seen holes punched through precast walls before.

is it really 5.5M?

is there a map of where wall will be erected?

are there any alternatives to using a solid opaque wall? what about thick slabs of glass? or a thick metal mesh that can't be cut with bolt cutters?

i'm willing to bet that they are less noisy than a diesel locomotive. the point of my post was to point out the problem of attributing noise caused by track switches to electric train technology. i never said that electric trains were completely silent.

They are less noisy. But they still make a racket - it's just that it's now a different racket.

By the one, one problem with your original argument re: complaints at Dundas West, Keele, High Park, Islington, etc. There are no switches anywhere near High Park, so obviously that noise has to come from somewhere, no?

Go check out the east end of the B-D line between Warden and Victoria Park, preferably in the middle where there aren't any switches, and tell me that the trains don't make a racket.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

safety is above aesthetics of having a wall. i agree. but wouldn't building more pedestrian crossings, expecially in areas where there is high trespassing prevent people from going dangerous route? if there's a pedestrian crossing every so often, there wouldn't be a need to cut a hole into a fence.

in the article they said a 5.5M tall concrete wall. does anybody know if it will be precast? because i've seen holes punched through precast walls before.

is it really 5.5M?

is there a map of where wall will be erected?

are there any alternatives to using a solid opaque wall? what about thick slabs of glass? or a thick metal mesh that can't be cut with bolt cutters?

I agree that more pedestrian crossing (grade separated) should be built to improve accessibility. It would probably cut in half number of trespassers. However roughly half of the time when I do encounter a trespassers its beside either an underpass or overpass, especially if the surrounding terrain is at the same level as the tracks. If you go by any bridge and theres a fence by the tracks most of the time there will be a hole in it despite the bridge being there. Also it wouldn't eliminate those few who literal use the tracks as a path or foolish children playing chicken.

Holes in precast walls are rare compared to fences. They would most likely be fixed immediately. Not saying a solid wall would eliminate trespassers 100% but if its continuous it would probably reduce the number by 90-95%.

I don't have any information on this purposed wall itself. However I imagine it will be similar to a recent on built on the north side of Clarkson GO station. 5.5M may seem like a lot but its only 18ft, which is just a couple of feet taller than a GO train. The 3rd floor of any building would easily overlook it.

As for glass or a stronger fence/metal mesh, I don't see why those options would not have been considered, I agree it would be preferable. Most likely the costs are exorbitant for a wall of that height and distance.

one option would be to have the metal mesh wall where the wall would be highly visible from certain public areas to reduce costs of doing the whole thing in that style or maybe they can hide the wall in those sections with greenery to reduce vandalism.

the scenery will be surely missed. :( maybe they can get artists to paint what's on the other side. ;)

Those are two great ideas! I over-exaggerated when I said such wall's are a "beautiful sight", the wall’s themselves are uninspiring . Its just their function that I am greatful for. If something can be done to make them more appealing and mitigate their visual impact I’m of course all for it. I think GO is starting to realize that this is something that could use a little more thought as the new station wall at Clarkson is an improvement over the typical bland walls that have traditionally lined the rail corridors (unfortunately they didn’t use the same treatment for a short wall further west of the station, it just looks like the metal siding on the side of a house :rolleyes:).

From the tender wire:

CALL FOR REQUEST TO QUALIFY AND QUOTE
CONSULTANT ASSIGNMENT
REQUEST NO. RQQ-2009-MP-056

Development of the Dundas West/Bloor Mobility Hub Master Plan

Metrolinx is accepting Requests to Qualify and Quote for Consultant Services for the development of the Dundas West/Bloor mobility hub master plan.

In November 2008, the Metrolinx Board adopted The Big Move – the regional transportation plan for the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA). One of the nine priority actions, or Big Moves, identified in the plan, is to create a system of connected mobility hubs.

Located at key intersections in the regional rapid transit network, mobility hubs provide travellers with access to the system, support high density development and strong urban design, and demonstrate excellence in customer service.

Pile driving has started up again today

I have been trying to work at home today and it's been miserable. The brief respite the community has been able to enjoy came to a pounding end today. I don't understand how Metrolinx and Go Transit can start up again before the hearing this Thursday.
This is a clear indication of their ongoing cavalier attitude toward the communities that have been impacted by their construction methods.

Attend the hearing. A show of force will strengthen residents' chances of maintaining the CTA's injunction.

Where: Federal court, 180 Queen Street West, Suite 200
When: Thursday, January 28, 9:30 a.m.

I don't understand how Metrolinx and Go Transit can start up again before the hearing this Thursday.

From here:

"In connection with GO’s application to the Federal Court of Appeal for leave to appeal the Canadian Transportation Agency’s (CTA’s) decision, the Federal Court of Appeal has granted GO an interim stay of certain restrictions on pile installation imposed by the decision. The interim stay lasts until January 28, when GO's application for a further stay will be considered. "

In all seriousness, though, at some point doesn't the best way to get this behind us all become letting Metrolinx pound the last 20% of the piles as fast as they can? Reduced-noise techniques that are stretched out over four times the timespan are irritating in their own way.

From here:

"In connection with GO’s application to the Federal Court of Appeal for leave to appeal the Canadian Transportation Agency’s (CTA’s) decision, the Federal Court of Appeal has granted GO an interim stay of certain restrictions on pile installation imposed by the decision. The interim stay lasts until January 28, when GO's application for a further stay will be considered. "

In all seriousness, though, at some point doesn't the best way to get this behind us all become letting Metrolinx pound the last 20% of the piles as fast as they can? Reduced-noise techniques that are stretched out over four times the timespan are irritating in their own way.

Platform 27 do you live in close proximity to where the work is being done?

Platform 27 do you live in close proximity to where the work is being done?

With all due respect, using the the "you don't live here" argument is an insult to the principles of free and open discussion.

With all due respect, using the the "you don't live here" argument is an insult to the principles of free and open discussion.

With all due respect back, I don't feel I have to defend my line of questioning and be told that I'm insulting the principles of free and open discussion by asking this question.
This specific situation that has been all about where you live and/or work. Just ask anyone who has had to live through this for past year and has had their quality of life suffer and/or incurred damage to their property as a result.
Platform 27 made an opinionated comment about my post, I would like to know where he or she is coming from in their response. Isn't that all about "free and open discussion?"

Back