News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 604     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Metrolinx/GO Georgetown Corridor Project

By far the biggest part of the project. The second biggest would be the Strachan grade separation, and after that the two river crossings. Everything else being looked after by GO Transit is relatively simple.

Agreed. Though the West Toronto Diamond grade separation project itself is larger than any of those individually. Of course technically its not part of the same project, nonetheless hopefully they'll apply what they've from it when working on the other grade seperation.

I think we should ask the residents near Dundas West, Keele, High Park and Islington stations if electric trains are actually silent.

Oh wait, someone did...

http://www.ttc.ca/postings/gso-comrpt/documents/report/f2789/_conv.htm

Quieter? Yes.

Will we still need the sound barriers? More than likely.

you can't equate the sound of rolling stock going over a frog at a switch with the sound of rolling stock travelling on a regular section with continuous weld track with no switches and say that electric trains are noisy. track switches are noisy, bolted rail is noisy. that doesn't make electric trains (the technology) noisy. you might as well say electric trains are noisy because of the conductor blasting the horn at somebody if you're gonna say electric trains are noisy for going over a switch.

you can't equate the sound of rolling stock going over a frog at a switch with the sound of rolling stock travelling on a regular section with continuous weld track with no switches and say that electric trains are noisy. track switches are noisy, bolted rail is noisy. that doesn't make electric trains (the technology) noisy. you might as well say electric trains are noisy because of the conductor blasting the horn at somebody if you're gonna say electric trains are noisy for going over a switch.

Electric trains are noisy. Do you really think that radiator fans, compressors, pumps, traction motors, gears, invertors, wheels, etc. don't make any noise?

Just because you remove the #1 source of noise (the prime mover) doesn't mean that the #2, #3, #4, etc. sources of noise become silent.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Electric trains are noisy. Do you really think that radiator fans, compressors, pumps, traction motors, gears, invertors, wheels, etc. don't make any noise?

Just because you remove the #1 source of noise (the prime mover) doesn't mean that the #2, #3, #4, etc. sources of noise become silent.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

i'm willing to bet that they are less noisy than a diesel locomotive. the point of my post was to point out the problem of attributing noise caused by track switches to electric train technology. i never said that electric trains were completely silent.

I realize that the purpose of the post was to illustrate the relative noise created by electric vs diesel rail. However I took it as an example of the mindset that some people have in this city.

The subway was built long before that condo was, purchasers were told about the situation and the potential impacts it might have on their homes (full disclosure) when they bought the homes. Yet suddenly they feel the need to exert their will on the TTC. I realize this is not on the level of fanatical NIMBY'ism but still, the gentleman in question still felt that he had enough of a case that he presented it at a ttc meeting. I mean you bought the unit with full knowledge of the existence of the subway line and switches and now you want the ttc to take on an expense to accomodate you? Come on.

The rail has been in place for over 100 years, residents knew this, they knew it while they grew up there and they knew it when they chose to move there. There has never been an issue until now... Diesel will never go away because electric rail is only economical in the main Toronto lines which will/should have frequent all day service. Suburban services will still be diesel (or deity forbid dual mode) since they will be peak only services.

I realize that the purpose of the post was to illustrate the relative noise created by electric vs diesel rail. However I took it as an example of the mindset that some people have in this city.

The subway was built long before that condo was, purchasers were told about the situation and the potential impacts it might have on their homes (full disclosure) when they bought the homes. Yet suddenly they feel the need to exert their will on the TTC. I realize this is not on the level of fanatical NIMBY'ism but still, the gentleman in question still felt that he had enough of a case that he presented it at a ttc meeting. I mean you bought the unit with full knowledge of the existence of the subway line and switches and now you want the ttc to take on an expense to accomodate you? Come on.

The rail has been in place for over 100 years, residents knew this, they knew it while they grew up there and they knew it when they chose to move there. There has never been an issue until now... Diesel will never go away because electric rail is only economical in the main Toronto lines which will/should have frequent all day service. Suburban services will still be diesel (or deity forbid dual mode) since they will be peak only services.

I agree with your post and your sentiment. I think, though, that both sides of this "issue" need to be fully honest (or it will go around in circles) this particular line is hoped/scheduled/planned to have a lot of trains.

i've addressed the "what was here first argument" in another thread relating to this subject. i never said diesel should go away. at the very least, the union pearson rail link should be electric.

but back to my post pertaining to the wall, not only will it be a sound barrier, but also a visual barrier and a magnet for vandalism. IMO, such a wall would be ugly.

I think it's clear that the Westonites are opposed to more rail traffic and are using the downsides of diesel as an excuse. Would they really be satisfied even if the corridor was electrified?

Back