News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 497     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Metrolinx/GO Georgetown Corridor Project

Bring more Trains.

Took the 4:15pm from Union to Georgetown and it was like jammed like a Subway car...

Yes seeing 3-4 people standing here and there is normal.

Having about 30+ people standing in one compartment is ridiculous...

Last edited:
According to the Environmental Project Report, section 2.2 "Purpose of the Project", here are the anticipated train numbers.

John Street Weston:
Today - 29
Opening Day - 218
Long Term - 268

Strachan Avenue Toronto:
Today - 49
Opening Day - 323
Long Term - 464

You can find the full breakdown of how many of each type of train in the EPR.

So...

Will there be 400 diesel trains on opening day? No
Will there be 400 trains of any kind on opening day? No
Will there be 400 diesel trains at any time? No (Because it will be electrified before the "Long Term" numbers are reached).

Well really how frequent are they planning the Georgetown Go service...

Like I would imagine more rush hour trains, but what about the day. Same hourly service??

Well really how frequent are they planning the Georgetown Go service...

Like I would imagine more rush hour trains, but what about the day. Same hourly service??

There will be two types of service

Regional Express, which will make limited stops at the busiest stations between Brampton and Union, and local, which would make all stops (and could be split into local/express pairs during busier times) between Kitchener and Union.

Local service will start at hourly, all-day in both directions, and then increase as ridership goes up and equipment becomes available. I wouldn't count on 15 minute service on opening day, but it will rise fairly quickly - much faster than it took Lakeshore to get to 30 minutes.

I don't have any predictions on how the regional express service will be structured, but expect it to act much like express trains operate today.

There will be two types of service

Regional Express, which will make limited stops at the busiest stations between Brampton and Union, and local, which would make all stops (and could be split into local/express pairs during busier times) between Kitchener and Union.

Local service will start at hourly, all-day in both directions, and then increase as ridership goes up and equipment becomes available. I wouldn't count on 15 minute service on opening day, but it will rise fairly quickly - much faster than it took Lakeshore to get to 30 minutes.

I don't have any predictions on how the regional express service will be structured, but expect it to act much like express trains operate today.
Would that be express like VIA? Stops at Union, Pearson, Brampton, Guelph and Kitchener? If HSR gets happening in the corridor, GO could figure out some deal with VIA to integrate VIA fares into the regional fare system. That'd help a lot, since VIA's already providing essentially the same service and I don't see why the same service should be duplicated just to put it under a different name. Maybe it's that VIA can't provide the levels of service GO needs?

But that sounds good. If that corridor could get 15 minute frequencies in 10 or 15 years, that'd be great. Hopefully Lakeshore can get 15 minute frequencies in 5 or 10 years though. Seeing's how we still don't have that mythical 30 minute service though, it's looking more like 10 years. :(

Last edited:
The regional express service is definitely very interesting. The issue, of course, is the overlap with VIA. They don't have the rolling stock to operate the kind of frequent service that is required, so it might make sense for Metrolinx to take over the services to Kitchener. There's also a significant fare issue. They'd have to be integrated, but VIA's fares are far too high for that. On the other hand, I'd be very sad if the VIA service levels were replaced by hard-backed GO seats. It doesn't have to be quite as nice as VIA, but this is a long-distance service that requires long-distance comfort. The same service should be used on the Barrie, Peterborough, and perhaps Hamilton routes.

I've tried to read through this post to see if I can find an answer to my question but no luck.
With the undergrounding of the CN line, can anyone tell me what's happening to the CP Rail line that runs east west as far as the West Toronto Diamond but then turns north crossing Old Weston Road which then runs parallel to the GO Georgetown track? Will that still remain above ground...? Will a level crossing still remain on Old Weston for just that one track?
I haven't been able to get any satisfactory answers about it.

I've tried to read through this post to see if I can find an answer to my question but no luck.
With the undergrounding of the CN line, can anyone tell me what's happening to the CP Rail line that runs east west as far as the West Toronto Diamond but then turns north crossing Old Weston Road which then runs parallel to the GO Georgetown track? Will that still remain above ground...? Will a level crossing still remain on Old Weston for just that one track?
I haven't been able to get any satisfactory answers about it.

Yes, the CP line (MacTier sub) will remain above ground for its entire length. This is necessary at the West Toronto Diamond because the line connects to the North Toronto CP line (in both directions). It's been deemed necessary in Weston because CP runs freight trains that are much longer than any that CN runs on their parallel line, so undergrounding would require longer and less steep inclines, which would considerably increase the cost of the project.

Yes, the CP line (MacTier sub) will remain above ground for its entire length. This is necessary at the West Toronto Diamond because the line connects to the North Toronto CP line (in both directions). It's been deemed necessary in Weston because CP runs freight trains that are much longer than any that CN runs on their parallel line, so undergrounding would require longer and less steep inclines, which would considerably increase the cost of the project.

Thanks for the info. I had heard rumours of a possible overpass for traffic replacing the need for a level crossing with gates.

not sure where to post this.....

....but my blackberry has been way more active lately with delays and cancellations on this line.

looks like +/20 in the last week alone with fully 10 of them today alone!!!

I am an infrequent user of the line but used it Monday and there was noticable (ie loud) frustration when the doors closed on the express train I got on and the announcement was made that the train would not be express but would make all stops.

There were a lot of "every day it's something" type comments flying around the car!

http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/local/article/390738--go-transit-told-to-slow-down-near-residences

Based on my math of 5 day work weeks and an average 3 piles per day using slower techniques this project with 2400 piles currently 70% complete will not be done the piling phase for another year unless they bring significantly more pile driving equipment in. Given the choice of very loud pile driving for one year versus medium loud pile driving for two I would have gone for the get it over with as soon as possible option myself.

It's unfortunate that the project will now take longer. Has GO updated their official timeline? Have any updated messages gone out to the community?

Back