News   Jun 27, 2024
 297     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 560     1 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 365     0 

Metrolinx: Bombardier Flexity Freedom & Alstom Citadis Spirit LRVs

I could look it up but it might take a bit of time. Anyone else have the Hamilton (cc Mark) or Hurontario LRV numbers from the EA/EPR/TPAPs done?
There are two scenarios documented in the Hamilton LRT documents; for 4-minute versus 6-minute single-LRV service (to begin with). Hamilton B-Line is designed for up to 2-LRV chained train service (60 meter platforms for standard 30-meter LRVs) but will begin operations with single LRVs. The final decision will probably be made based on LRV availability and procurement costs.

Currently, the Hamilton LRT FAQ says:
"Trains will come about every 6 minutes during the peak hours."
The detailed study documents, however, show provisions for both 4-minute and 6-minute service options, with a lean towards initial 6-minute operations.

Assuming 6-minute single-LRV operations, that's approximately a dozen LRVs -- fewer than Waterloo's ION LRT. Hamilton LRT will probably start off with roughly that, but the surplus from a combined Bombardier/Alstom surge may benefit Hamilton and Hurontario -- especially if Hamilton LRT gets more ridership than predicted in its first year -- it could move to either increased frequency or 2-LRV operations part time or full time, at least during surge-operations (university, Tim's Field, etc), and when the fleet is doubled, permanently 2-LRV operation during daytime. But if LRV manufacturing delays keeps propagating for many years, at least the promised initial service frequency is achievable with just barely a dozen LRVs.

While we're only starting with a dozen LRVs for the B-Line LRT -- the Hamilton LRT MSF has room for 38 LRVs -- enough to populate both a B-Line and an A-Line. There's plenty of capacity to expand to 4-minute 2-LRV service, if demand warrants.

All of this is technically compatible with 45-meter Alstom LRVs too, though that would reduce MSF capacity to 24 LRVs.

Last edited:
It doesn't take someone with public transit experience to tell you that if you order LRVs for four lines, and only build one or two or three of them, you're going to have a ton of surplus vehicles.
You would think that but Metrolinx has shown us that it isn't true instead they sign a contract with another company to get more vehicles, then they take the firtst comapy to ciurt to get them to take all of the balme for it.

i wonder if it will be possible to cut down on part of the order. Its not like everything has been paid for yet so its not like bbr will need to refund part of the payment. i believe this practice has been done for airline orders where sometimes the order of planes are cut down or deferred based on shifting demands.

Thtas what Bombardier apparently offered them with a change fee though which they didn't like

"Bombardier to add 70 staff for light rail projects". It's happening at Millhaven. Brief reference to the Metrolinx contract.

Article here.

Last edited:
Instead of two-car or three-car trains, for the Crosstown LRT, we should combine the cars into one long articulated train.

See link from Bombardier Rail.

When 1 is better than 2? Proud to have helped our customer #delijn increase passenger capacity in #Antwerp by converting two #HermeLijn trams into a single XL 61-meter vehicle. #Belgium #WeMoveCities

DPZK1fGVoAABrIP.jpg

DPZK2qIV4AAscXJ.jpg

DPZK4J9UEAA3vEU.jpg

The Hurontario LRT looks good. It rolls right past my office, though I'd prefer the stop on the South Service Rd rather than the North Service Rd. I'll have to walk south. Or stay with the 19N bus, assuming it still runs.

Hurontario_LRT_Map_EN-850x550.jpg

The Hurontario LRT looks good. It rolls right past my office, though I'd prefer the stop on the South Service Rd rather than the North Service Rd. I'll have to walk south. Or stay with the 19N bus, assuming it still runs.

Hurontario_LRT_Map_EN-850x550.jpg

Its very unfortunate it doesn't continue to Brampton and the Brampton GO station.

Such a missed opportunity.

I wonder what time lunch will arrive, and will it still be warm. And whether there will be Mexican food on the menu..... and whether it will have all the right ingredients as per the recipe.

- Paul

I wonder what time lunch will arrive, and will it still be warm. And whether there will be Mexican food on the menu..... and whether it will have all the right ingredients as per the recipe.

- Paul

Maybe Metrolinx can order some French food too, in case the lunch doesn't get there yet. Even though they may end up with too much in the end...

Back