News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.3K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 629     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 910     0 

Metrolinx: Bombardier Flexity Freedom & Alstom Citadis Spirit LRVs

From the TTC vehicle thread

Good to see it on car 158091. It's in Sudbury last night, apparently. And car 156393 is now empty, having dropped 4402 off at Hillcrest.

But here's something interesting. Something is showing up as being loaded on car 157639 yesterday. But what is it? Car 4428? A Metrolinx prototype. Or something else altogether different?

I'm getting word that it is indeed the Metrolinx prototype, heading to Kingston for testing.

From the TTC vehicle thread

I'm getting word that it is indeed the Metrolinx prototype, heading to Kingston for testing.

giphy.gif

(sorry I couldn't resist, we've earned this)

Last edited:
I hope the TTC ones would get a touch of red like how the ION ones are blue. It would stand out more and be easier to identify in the airport and Renforth when the extension is built.

I'm pretty sure Metrolinx is moving away from green branding anyways (look at their website).

Were the colours changed with "no deep thought" that went into it?

Mark Saunders would know what I mean. :p

Screen Shot 2016-11-27 at 10.30.22 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-27 at 10.30.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-27 at 10.30.22 PM.png
    580.6 KB · Views: 670
I guess they were just trying to design something that would look like it belonged in Hamilton and Waterloo....ugh...I hear the designer uniforms they are getting made for the operators were inspired by the look of Imperial Officers from Star Wars...
sw-imp-officer-premier-line-1.png

Looking at the pilot vehicle got me wondering: How do the dimensions of the Crosstown vehicles compare to the dimensions of the new TTC streetcars?

Looking at the pilot vehicle got me wondering: How do the dimensions of the Crosstown vehicles compare to the dimensions of the new TTC streetcars?
Crosstown vehicles are 2.65m wide vs 2.54m for TTC cars. Lengthwise they are close to the same length (~30m). Wikipedia claims the downtown cars are a bit taller (3.8m vs 3.6m for the Crosstown cars)

Crosstown vehicles are 2.65m wide vs 2.54m for TTC cars. Lengthwise they are close to the same length (~30m). Wikipedia claims the downtown cars are a bit taller (3.8m vs 3.6m for the Crosstown cars)
If they're that close, why not make the Crosstown on the Toronto gauge and use the same vehicles across the system, thus avoiding shorter runs or two different vehicles?

My thinking for the difference was that the Crosstowns were a lot longer or or larger, thus needing a more standard width track.

Back