News   Apr 23, 2024
 505     1 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 383     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1K     0 

Metrolinx: Bombardier Flexity Freedom & Alstom Citadis Spirit LRVs

The bickering will now be which model for which light rail line.
Alstrom bought BBR to reduce competition and vendor options. I expect Thunder Bay will quickly be closed down, or converted to a support role for Alstrom's existing Canadian plants.

Will Queen's Park intervene to save Thunder Bay? IDK, Alstrom's LRT plant is also in Ontario. Best case is to close one of them down and transfer the best redundant workers to the surviving plant.

The report you linked is 2 or 3 days old and nothing has been announced. You should not be saying "Alstrom bought" anything. First of all there is no r in Alstom. Second of all, Alstom might buy Bombardier. Who knows if the sale would even be allowed vis-à-vis competition?

Last edited:
The report you linked is 2 or 3 days old and nothing has been announced. You should not be saying "Alstrom bought" anything. First of all there is no r in Alstom. Second of all, Alstom might buy Bombardier. Who knows if the sale would even be allowed vis-à-vis competition?
Does this answer your question?

Could be the same company now.

From link.

Canada's Bombardier <BBDb.TO> said on Monday it had agreed to sell its rail division to France's Alstom <ALSO.PA> for an enterprise value of $8.2 billion (£6.31 billion), as it focuses purely on business aviation and pays down debt.
That price tag includes equity plus debt. The deal will be done majoritarily in cash, with a chunk paid in new Alstom shares, Bombardier and Alstom confirmed in separate statements.
Bombardier said it would be receiving net proceeds of between $4.2 and $4.5 billion, once it accounts for the portion that will go to Canadian pension fund manager Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec, a 30% shareholder in the rail unit.
Caisse will become the biggest shareholder in Alstom following the deal, which is expected to close in the first half of 2021, Bombardier added.
The memorandum of understanding between Bombardier and Alstom was approved by both companies' boards.

I'm guessing that the deal needs regulator approval from both sides of the Atlantic.

With the CDPQ becoming the largest shareholder, it seems the continued existence of La Pocatiere is a lock. All other in 'the Americas' will have to duke it out.

The outlook is also promising for Alstom's small operation in Sorel QC, which builds the bogies for Montreal's Azur trains and for Ottawa + Metrolinx's Citadis Spirit LRVs:
In the context of its agreement with CDPQ, Alstom also announced its intention to strengthen its presence in Québec through ambitious commitments that will be implemented in the first year following the transaction's closing. These commitments include establishing the Americas' headquarters in Greater Montréal, where a Head of the Americas will be based; a new design and engineering centre and centre for high-tech R&D; and the expansion of activities through increased opportunities for the La Pocatière and Sorel-Tracy manufacturing facilities.
www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/cdpq-becomes-alstoms-largest-shareholder-following-the-announced-acquisition-of-bombardier-transportation-301006079.html

Sounds to me like both Thunder Bay and Millhaven will get shut down pretty soon.

The outlook is also promising for Alstom's small operation in Sorel QC, which builds the bogies for Montreal's Azur trains and for Ottawa + Metrolinx's Citadis Spirit LRVs:

Sounds to me like both Thunder Bay and Millhaven will get shut down pretty soon.
I can see Millhaven staying open since it is also a testing facility. Millhaven has the infrastructure to test not just trains and streetcars but also Bombardiers Innovia trains and Monorails.

I can see Millhaven staying open since it is also a testing facility. Millhaven has the infrastructure to test not just trains and streetcars but also Bombardiers Innovia trains and Monorails.
TB can go. There won't be enough work to keep that open. Millhaven could stay open for mass production. The Innovia and Monorails could be phased out in favour of Alstom products. This includes the Flexitys and Movias subway trains.

This leaves an interesting question for the TTC now. Can they even buy 60 more Flexity streetcars???
I'm sure Alstom would rather have their own Citadis trams roam Toronto streets and they is zero reasons to keep both products. BBD phased out the ADtranz trams and original Flexitys when they acquired them and I expect Alstom to do the same for the Flexitys. They can potentially screw the TTC over and force them to have a second fleet and modifications to the network again with in service date of beyond 2025. TTC should have taken the option as this leaves a big question mark to the future orders. Alstom Metropolis could be a potential option for the next generation Line 2 subway trains.

Does this answer your question?
Nope. The only question in my post was about whether this would get through competition regulations, and as the article you linked points out, that is still unknown. I said that Bombardier had not yet sold the division, as it hadn't. It has now got an agreement to do this, which I said it might.

TB can go. There won't be enough work to keep that open. Millhaven could stay open for mass production. The Innovia and Monorails could be phased out in favour of Alstom products. This includes the Flexitys and Movias subway trains.

This leaves an interesting question for the TTC now. Can they even buy 60 more Flexity streetcars???
I'm sure Alstom would rather have their own Citadis trams roam Toronto streets and they is zero reasons to keep both products. BBD phased out the ADtranz trams and original Flexitys when they acquired them and I expect Alstom to do the same for the Flexitys. They can potentially screw the TTC over and force them to have a second fleet and modifications to the network again with in service date of beyond 2025. TTC should have taken the option as this leaves a big question mark to the future orders. Alstom Metropolis could be a potential option for the next generation Line 2 subway trains.

You're forgetting that the GO trains and coaches are made at Thunder Bay.

Metrolinx makes up the vast majority of their business right now. Unless they can find another customer to build for, they are as good as dead when the current production finishes.

You're forgetting that the GO trains and coaches are made at Thunder Bay.
They could relocate that like they created another Flexity plant.

Unless ML goes with a new fleet with RER, they won't be busy with passenger railway trains in this country.

Back