News   Apr 26, 2024
 600     2 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 222     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 705     0 

Metrolinx: Bombardier Flexity Freedom & Alstom Citadis Spirit LRVs

You have to understand the HTA + regulations. Some sections apply to 'vehicles', some to 'motor vehicles', along with certain specific sections related to commercial motor vehicles, transit signals, etc. Generally speaking, all 'rules of the road' section apply to 'vehicles'. Interestingly, speeding offences apply to 'motor vehicles', so if you can git yer farm tractor up to 100 . . .

From 1(1) of the Highway Traffic Act for the benefit of those who wish to debate (highlighting added):

motor vehicle” includes an automobile, a motorcycle, a motor assisted bicycle unless otherwise indicated in this Act, and any other vehicle propelled or driven otherwise than by muscular power, but does not include a street car or other motor vehicle running only upon rails, a power-assisted bicycle, a motorized snow vehicle, a traction engine, a farm tractor, a self-propelled implement of husbandry or a road-building machine;

(WRT to to comment about registration and plates. Motor vehicles need to be registered and display number plates/validation. 'Vehicles' do not.)

highway” includes a common and public highway, street, avenue, parkway, driveway, square, place, bridge, viaduct or trestle, any part of which is intended for or used by the general public for the passage of vehicles and includes the area between the lateral property lines thereof;

(It could be argued - maybe it has been - that an exclusive-use ROW portion would not be 'for the use by the public for the passage of vehicles')

street car” includes a car of an electric or steam railway.

(Just in case anyone wants to consider steam as a power source. No mention of hydrogen! )

vehicle” includes a motor vehicle, trailer, traction engine, farm tractor, road-building machine, bicycle and any vehicle drawn, propelled or driven by any kind of power, including muscular power, but does not include a motorized snow vehicle or a street car.
If it's not part of the highway, I shouldn't get a ticket if I decided to drive on the ROW. That's my point.

If it's not part of the highway, I shouldn't get a ticket if I decided to drive on the ROW. That's my point.

Then you would be trespassing or, if doing something that interfered with the lawful use of the ROW, possibly Criminal Code Mischief. As mentioned, I am unclear on this issue and in some cases, transit ROW shifts between exclusive and shared. The fact that area is muddy to me doesn't necessarily mean that it is unsettled.

I believe the 6 door wasnt available at the time of procurement.

Edmonton also bought a 7 module version, again wasnt available.

Edmonton-LRV-Without-Beacon-light-2016-09-13.jpg

06-27-valleylinelrt.jpg

Not sure if this has been discussed, but is there a reason why Waterloo, TTC, and Metrolinx ordered the 4 door version of the Flexities, when BBD offer a 6 door version? Taking the 504 in the morning, 2 extra sets of doors can decrease the dwell time significantly.

The TTC ordered this because this is what they thought they needed. As well, they felt that a longer version of the car would not operate well in downtown, where street spacing can be such that one 100 foot long car can fill a block.

When the TTC placed that order, they also received an option that Metrolinx and Waterloo eventually took up for a very similar car.

In theory, the TTC could have spec'd the car with more doors as is frequently done in some parts of Europe, but that comes at a cost of having fewer seats.

Dan

Not sure if this has been discussed, but is there a reason why Waterloo, TTC, and Metrolinx ordered the 4 door version of the Flexities, when BBD offer a 6 door version? Taking the 504 in the morning, 2 extra sets of doors can decrease the dwell time significantly.

I'm pretty sure the versions with more doors are slightly longer, each of the suspended modules are 1 metre longer.

Alstom Buys Bombardier Transportation for Seven Billion Euros (US$7 Billion - CDN$10 Billion)

See link.

As previously announced first on Fliegerfaust, February 6, 2020, Bombardier is entirely selling its Transportation division to Alstom, as written in this article by Sylvain Faust ----->: https://www.fliegerfaust.com/bombardier--2645048156.html

The entire Bombardier railway business is to be in the hands of the French. The deal is scheduled to be officially made on Thursday.

Düsseldorf According to information from industrial circles, the French railway technology manufacturer Alstom buys the entire railway business from Bombardier . The transaction is expected to be announced on Thursday morning.

Alstom will take over the worldwide railway business of the Canadians, whose headquarters are in Berlin, for seven billion euros.

This creates a new large railway technology group with a turnover of around 15 billion euros. Alstom had failed just a year ago due to concerns from the European Competition Commission trying to merge with Siemens Mobility...

Read more https://www.handelsblatt.com/untern...ion-fuer-sieben-milliarden-euro/25541030.html

I think that means the light rail vehicles for the Finch West LRT and Crosstown LRT will be made by the same company.

Back