News   Nov 18, 2019
 296     0 
News   Nov 18, 2019
 400     3 

Metrolinx: Bombardier Flexity Freedom & Alstom Citadis Spirit LRVs

Kyle Campbell

Member Bio
Reaction score
I guess my biggest annoyance will be OC Transpo overdid it with the doors.. There's a door opening tone (in the video at 23:17) and it then announces "Doors Opening" in both languages, then a door closing chime then both languages again. They could have skipped the announcement part and just used the chimes, since there's an opening and closing version

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Cross post from Hurontario Line

Mark your calendar: August 30 - September 2

The new Alstom Light Rail Vehicle (LRV) mock-up is coming to Mississauga over Labour Day weekend!

Tour the mock-up vehicle at Square One Shopping Centre, Entrance 7, near both the MiWay and GO Bus Terminals from Friday, August 30th to Monday, September 2nd. Transit fans, commuters and back-to-school shoppers in the Peel region will have the opportunity to tour the vehicle for the first time and take photos of themselves with it.

Alstom LRVs will connect the cities of Mississauga and Brampton via the Hurontario LRT line in the near future. Just down the street from the mock-up site, the Hurontario LRT’s City Centre stop will connect future transit riders to the MiWay and GO Bus Terminals, to create even more connections in the Peel region.

Visit https://www.facebook.com/events/2935409779864079/ for more event details.

Please share widely with your colleagues/friends/members.

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I guess my biggest annoyance will be OC Transpo overdid it with the doors.. There's a door opening tone (in the video at 23:17) and it then announces "Doors Opening" in both languages, then a door closing chime then both languages again. They could have skipped the announcement part and just used the chimes, since there's an opening and closing version
Has to deal with vision impair folks in Ontario under OADA requirements.

Been on systems in the US that nether show/announce stops or door closing/opening since its not part of their ADA requirements.

Steve X

Member Bio
Reaction score
Here's hoping that the Crosstown will have better launch luck then either Ottawa or KW

TheRecord.com: Ion train defects delay higher-frequency LRT service in Waterloo, Kitchener.
They'll have the same problems as the streetcars. MDBF might be higher than the streetcars since stations are further apart thus the doors don't open as much. Given that the streetcars are near the end of the run and they are still coming in with plenty of defects, there is no hope for these LRVs to be delivered in better conditions. Hopefully these are just teething issues that will be resolved within a year.

EastYorkTTCFan

Member Bio
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the centre poles on the Alstrom cars are structural or are they just some option that Ottawa went with for some reason as they seem to be a real hindrance to people getting around the train?

Kyle Campbell

Member Bio
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the centre poles on the Alstrom cars are structural or are they just some option that Ottawa went with for some reason as they seem to be a real hindrance to people getting around the train?
Ottawa choice, the Metrolinx ones don't have them, at least on the mockup. We're expecting to be standing room only most of the time up here in Ottawa, hence the stanchions

Within the GTA centre stanchions seem to be out of favour since they impede flow, but besides Ottawa Montreal also still uses them

But I believe Vancouver, Edmonton, and Calgary do not.

Last edited:

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
Ottawa choice, the Metrolinx ones don't have them, at least on the mockup. We're expecting to be standing room only most of the time up here in Ottawa, hence the stanchions

Within the GTA centre stanchions seem to be out of favour since they impede flow, but besides Ottawa Montreal also still uses them

But I believe Vancouver, Edmonton, and Calgary do not.
On the TTC at least, centre poles are seen as verboten due to the findings of the Coroner's Inquiry stemming from the Russell Hill subway collision. That decision may have carried over to the design of the LRT cars that they will be operating - even if they aren't the ones ordering them.

Dan

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
when do they intend to start production of the first LRVs?
It would have to be in 2020 to meet Finch and Hurontario opening day schedule. Then there is the Crosstown line.

Steve X

Member Bio
Reaction score
when do they intend to start production of the first LRVs?
When ML wants them to and they love pushing the date on everything. It should be next year but the Finch West MSF isn't due for completion till 2022. Probably won't have tracks till mid/late-2021. Maybe they will deliver it to Mount Dennis MSF if ML really desires to have time in hands. The Ottawa LRVs will keep the Brampton site busy.

treplow

Member Bio
Reaction score
Been on systems in the US that nether show/announce stops or door closing/opening since its not part of their ADA requirements.
As an aside, I've noticed that US transit systems tend to use male voices for automated stop announcements, whereas in Canada it's almost always female. Wonder why that is.

KevinT

Member Bio
Reaction score
As an aside, I've noticed that US transit systems tend to use male voices for automated stop announcements, whereas in Canada it's almost always female. Wonder why that is.
I find a male voice authoritative and a female voice comforting, and the mindsets of the two countries to be similar.