News   Jul 15, 2024
 148     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 508     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 614     1 

Mayor Olivia Chow's Toronto

Typically you're advised to not stay anywhere longer than 2 years now, so you can get better compensation.

Agreed however it all depends on the situation.

I myself manage a condominium and can likely get better money if I go elsewhere after getting my full license in January. Unfortunately, I intend to buy a house and need to show proof of stable employment.

It is better to stay where I am than to keep moving around.

Federal announcement funding a slew of rental housing in the GTA via Federal Mortgage financing.

From the above:

1699989710518.png

* most/all of these are already under construction; seems a bit late to be trumpeting their financing.

Typically you're advised to not stay anywhere longer than 2 years now, so you can get better compensation.
I don't hire serial job hoppers, personally. But then, there is a very steep learning curve for my area and people only start to be useful after 1-2 years. I wish the company would let me golden handcuff people (at least the good ones) so they stick around and progress in our organization. Instead we churn and waste nearly all the salary we pay these people, not to mention training costs.

Cllr.McKelvie intervening in Scaborough Southwest to back.................

Suman Roy............

Interesting.

~500 person Liaison phone poll has Kandavel 26, Roy 23 and Rupasinghe 19, ± 4 in the ward 20 byelection

As far as I can tell, Kandavel and Roy are anti bike lanes in convenient locations (ie Danforth-Kingston), Rupasinghe is for

Chow won by 5% so there's still hope, esp if she intervenes too

Homeowners who haven't had to bag leaves in decades 'furious' as Toronto cuts service to save $2.3M

Vacuum leaf collection served 42,000 families from the 1960s until now​

1700352247205.png

Coun. Stephen Holyday (Etobicoke Centre) tried unsuccessfully to have the city's special leaf collection service restored to some neighborhoods in his ward. He says he'll keep trying although it's not yet clear what his next steps will be. (Mike Smee/CBC)

Residents in some of the city's leafier enclaves have gone decades without having to pick up fallen leaves thanks to a specialty collection service.

But now — if they want the city to keep collecting — they'll need to do more than just rake.

"People are furious," said Coun. Stephen Holyday (Etobicoke Centre).

"They've relied on this service and valued this very good service for many, many decades and it abruptly comes to an end."

Since leaf burning was outlawed in the 1960s, residents in Etobicoke, York and Scarborough — some of the city's most heavily-treed neighbourhoods — have been expected only to rake their leaves into small piles by the side of the road.

From there, city crews would come and gather up the piles with backhoes and suction trucks or by hand. Meanwhile, all other households are expected to bag their leaves for pickup.
Until this fall, residents in some of the city's leafier neighborhoods could simply pile their leaves near the side of the road, instead of bagging them, for city pick up. (Mike Smee/CBC)
The city's mechanical vacuum leaf collection program was voted out of existence by city council during the 2023 budget debates. Axing the program, which services about 42,000 families, is only fair, city staff said in a statement.

"It will align service levels with all other city areas, providing an equitable level of service to all Toronto residents," the statement reads.

Holyday made a last ditch effort to save the program with a motion at last month's city council meeting. It failed to pass.
The city's withdrawal of a decades-old service is unfair and "quite a shock," said affected homeowner Kenneth Copeman, of the Glen Agar Residents Association.

Copeman says the city's emphasis on providing equitable service is not a good reason to cut the service.

"You also have to look at some of the other stuff that the City of Toronto's doing," he said. "For instance, my property taxes help pay for sidewalk clearing, but in my neighbourhood, there's only a handful of streets that have sidewalks."
Holyday told CBC Toronto he's not about to drop the issue, however it's unclear what his next steps will be.

"This is important to people," he said. I'll continue to fight for it."

But city staff say the decision is final: "The Mechanical Vacuum Leaf Collection Program was reviewed by City Council and was permanently discontinued as part of the 2023 budget process."

The city says cutting the program will save approximately $2.3 million a year.
(The cutting of the program was made when John Tory was still mayor.)

Just street sweep EVERYTHING at the curb. Along with the nails, screws, bottles, cans, syringes, sticks, stones, AND LEAVES

~500 person Liaison phone poll has Kandavel 26, Roy 23 and Rupasinghe 19, ± 4 in the ward 20 byelection

As far as I can tell, Kandavel and Roy are anti bike lanes in convenient locations (ie Danforth-Kingston), Rupasinghe is for

Chow won by 5% so there's still hope, esp if she intervenes too

Kevin Rupinsighe is backed by Doly Begum the local MPP.

I'm on the fence between supporting Parthi vs Kevin. I'm leaning towards Parthi mainly because of his experience and professionalism.

Bike Lanes on Kingston Road and Danforth may not go over well. Kingston Road and Danforth are heavily used arteries, putting bike lanes there would be impractical.

Most people use Kingston Road to get from the suburbs to Downtown and I can see bike lanes meeting fierce opposition.

I wonder what Malikas polling numbers were.

Kevin Rupinsighe is backed by Doly Begum the local MPP.

Begum hasn’t publicly endorsed Rupasinghe, has she?

I give Kandavel the advantage with less that two weeks to go, but it appears Rupasinghe has more resources and labour support than his last run, which will be super important when getting out the vote in typically low turnout by-elections.

Begum hasn’t publicly endorsed Rupasinghe, has she?

I give Kandavel the advantage with less that two weeks to go, but it appears Rupasinghe has more resources and labour support than his last run, which will be super important when getting out the vote in typically low turnout by-elections.

I got Kevins lit at my door earlier this week.

It mentioned Doly Begum as endorsing him

Homeowners who haven't had to bag leaves in decades 'furious' as Toronto cuts service to save $2.3M

Vacuum leaf collection served 42,000 families from the 1960s until now​

View attachment 521243
Coun. Stephen Holyday (Etobicoke Centre) tried unsuccessfully to have the city's special leaf collection service restored to some neighborhoods in his ward. He says he'll keep trying although it's not yet clear what his next steps will be. (Mike Smee/CBC)

(The cutting of the program was made when John Tory was still mayor.)

Just street sweep EVERYTHING at the curb. Along with the nails, screws, bottles, cans, syringes, sticks, stones, AND LEAVES

I manage a Condominium in High Park.

Walking throughout that area every day I can see how badly this was needed.

Some properties are covered in leaves to the point where it would be at least a dozen yard bags per household.

Places like North York don't need this service but High Park certainly does.

Back