News   Mar 28, 2024
 518     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 335     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 347     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Was it his campaign you worked on? I'm just remembering your saying yesterday that you spent five hours getting out the vote. You should note that when you make statements of support like this. :p

Nah, I'm just joshin'....I was just curious.
I worked on his campaign because he did such a good job as a councillor, lol. And I didn't do much, just a couple of volunteer shifts. I wasn't really in the trenches at all, but I did see him out and about at various events whereas I didn't see any of the others much at all.

Coolio. Yeah, I live right at the forward attack tip of Ward 18 so I have some experience with him as him and Bailao coordinate on some issues given the proximity to Ward 19 and vice versa in this wee corner and he seems well enough.

Not sure Tory is specifically reaching out to Soknacki and Chow to be part of the mayor's office. Soknacki I could possibly see in that role, Chow not so much.

Soknacki always seemed to me to be running to be City Manager, not mayor, which is one reason I never supported him despite some solid policy ideas. Mayor requires a political skillset that I just don't think Soknacki has. However, with Joe P. retiring, isn't City Manager open, and wouldn't Tory have a say on the successor?

For Chow, how about CEO of the TCHC? Gene Jones has only been replaced on an interim basis while they look for a new permanent CEO. It is a position where she could do a lot of good, that fits with the issues she campaigned on, and would give her sufficient autonomy someone of her experience & profile deserves.

ETA - Neither position would be a bad consolation prize at all - significant positions with significant authority and profiles attached to them, and let's not forget, they come with much higher salaries than the position of Mayor.

I really don't think money is the determinant for these two. Olivia has her double pensions and Soks has his business. I suspect the decision on any offers that "might" come along will turn on whether it fits what they want to do with their lives.

As a Ward 19 resident, I can tell you that Mike Layton works hard for his constituents. Sure, name recognition has a lot to do with him winning -- last term because he was Jack's kid, this time because he was the incumbent. He had no real opposition because he did a good job. He didn't rest on his laurels though, he campaigned hard.

Same with Adam Vaughan in Ward 20. Doug and Rob talks about 16 hr workdays, Adam was doing it. I cannot even begin to count the number of evening community meetings I attended where Adam was present, not as an observer but fully engaged and led and moderated the discussions. Him and Mike are both very hard workers. I hope Cressy will follow in his footsteps.

Same with Adam Vaughan in Ward 20. Doug and Rob talks about 16 hr workdays, Adam was doing it. I cannot even begin to count the number of evening community meetings I attended where Adam was present, not as an observer but fully engaged and led and moderated the discussions. Him and Mike are both very hard workers. I hope Cressy will follow in his footsteps.

+1

I haven't seen much of Vaughan since he went federal, though :(

He was on CityTV panel last night. Unless it was CBC I was watching at the point.

I wonder whether he's taking to federal politics. It's a big step to go from being a prominent city councillor to a low-profile opposition MP... and not even the official opposition.

He was on CityTV panel last night. Unless it was CBC I was watching at the point.

I wonder whether he's taking to federal politics. It's a big step to go from being a prominent city councillor to a low-profile opposition MP... and not even the official opposition.

It was CityTV. Unlike PinkLucy I run into him all the time, in fact, just yesterday afternoon when he mentioned he was in town to be on the CityTV panel.......that's why I was tuned to CityTV instead of the other channels!:))

Seems to be adjusting well. Spends 4 or 5 days in Ottawa and the rest in Toronto. He didn't say, but my suspicion is they have their eyes on 2015. Looking pretty good from where I sit.

And don't forget that Adam Vaughan's also a "hereditary" case of sorts (Colin being a reform-council cornerstone in the 70s)

Who do we anticipate leading the anti-Tory caucus of progressive councillors? Under the Miller era many councillors like Jane Pitfield and Karen Stintz took the lead and built their profile on their steadfast opposition to Miller's initiatives. Who will lead the opposition and become the anointed progressive mayoral candidate in 2018? Janet Davis? Mike Layton?

I'm more willing to bet on Kristyn Wong-Tam--not through her oppositionality, but through her bridge-building conciliatoriness.

In some ways, the force of "progressivism" can be best carried by a moderating force--kind of like how North Toronto Red Tory Crombie became the "reform" standard-bearer in the 70s, or Barbara Hall (the most "moderate" of the early 90s NDP caucus) upset Rowlands. Or even how David Miller served a role on the Lastman exec...

And don't forget that Adam Vaughan's also a "hereditary" case of sorts (Colin being a reform-council cornerstone in the 70s)

I'm more willing to bet on Kristyn Wong-Tam--not through her oppositionality, but through her bridge-building conciliatoriness.

In some ways, the force of "progressivism" can be best carried by a moderating force--kind of like how North Toronto Red Tory Crombie became the "reform" standard-bearer in the 70s, or Barbara Hall (the most "moderate" of the early 90s NDP caucus) upset Rowlands. Or even how David Miller served a role on the Lastman exec...

re AV, I am very aware of that. That is why I followed up on PinkLucy's post re Mike Layton. Both are examples of "hereditary entitlement" made good.

Also totally on side with your comments about Kristyn. Definitely someone to keep an eye on. Not so much as an anti-Tory caucus but a potential mayoral contender in 2018. She has the charisma and oratory skills to swing things around for the progressives, maybe even in Scarborough.

I don't agree with a lot of what Tory said during the campaign, but he's a breath of fresh air so far. I could actually see him changing his mind on things like Eglinton Connects and the DRL priority.

Progress.

Cressy (can't remember if he was mentioned and too lazy to scroll) also comes from a political family. Both parents were councillors I believe. We'll see how he does

It's really no different than doctors' kids growing up to be doctors. Layton, Vaughan, Cressy, etc. grew up with politics being discussed around the kitchen table. Their parents were out campaigning, meeting constituents, attending events and so on. They know what the life entails and want to be part of it. And just like doctors', dentists' and lawyers' kids, they might find it a easier to get their foot in the door. Is it right? Maybe not, but following in a parent's footsteps is hardly unique to the political realm.

I don't agree with a lot of what Tory said during the campaign, but he's a breath of fresh air so far. I could actually see him changing his mind on things like Eglinton Connects and the DRL priority.

Progress.

I think he personally believes in both projects, he was among the biggest DRL advocates over the past few years after all.

It was Nick Kouvalis that made Tory say the things he did on those projects, and Kouvalis is not with Tory anymore.

Cressy (can't remember if he was mentioned and too lazy to scroll) also comes from a political family.
Remember reading something about his father having close ties to Jack, an advisor at some point. NOW recently described the younger Cressy as Mike Layton's BFF. Just did a little looking and see that Joe Cressy and Mike Layton were best men at each other's wedding. So it's very much all in the family.

It would be fine if the odd chip off the old block followed a parent's path. But this is so common (not only children, but spouses, siblings, now nephews) and the opportunities for new people to break through so slim that it's as a real concern. Mike Layton seemed a good councillor last term, but I still shake my head that the NDP ran their inexperienced royal family heir against the progressive young female person of colour that they claim eslewhere we need to aggressively promote.

The media is reporting that Kouvalis is part of Tory's transition team.

He is, but luckily he won't be part of his actual office:

'Though Tory refused to comment on who amongst his campaign staff might be tapped for his office, he did confirm Nick Kouvalis — the strategist who helped Ford get elected four years ago — will not be among them.

“He is somebody that I talk to a lot about different things, but he’s also got a business that he wants to get back to and he made that very clear to me from, sort of, before he started and during the campaign,” Tory said.'

http://metronews.ca/news/toronto/11...nents-olivia-chow-david-soknacki-on-his-team/

Back