News   Apr 22, 2024
 785     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 265     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 669     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Minnan-Wong is NOT that bad .... honestly ... he's competent for one like him or not ... yes he jumped on the Rob Ford bandwagaon in the early days but distanced him self after ...

Rob / Mammoliti sad yes but well ... maybe only need to worry about one of them and that's 1/40+ ... no biggie ..

Yeah, overall it's a sad outcome. All incumbent councillours who ran returned, less the one guy who actually brought a little dignity to the circus. Rob Ford still around to cause chaos. The media will continue to feed the Ford Nation beast. Over that long campaign someone needed to hold the Fords responsible for their abuses but no one did, and their pull on the city is only slightly bruised. What we have is an unconvincing victory for an uninspiring leader who is gaffe-prone. There might be room for optimism with Tory replacing the Fords as Mayor if he was going into the next four years with a few new faces, younger diverse councillors who were able to look beyond the suburban/downtown left/right divide. But it's looking to me like a solid continuation of the mess we had.

I'm especially sad that Cesar Palacio and Ana Bailao were re-elected... both deserved to lose, and their opponents were great. Alejandra Bravo and Alex Mazer were exactly the kind of progressive young voice we lack in our city council. And they were both so close! Here's to hoping that they run again.

Also, thoroughly disappointed that Doug Ford won as many votes as he did. Good luck to John Tory, please make us proud.

A sad day also that Di Giorgio again got in though with an even more narrow victory than he had in 2010

I think Toronto made the right choice here. Although the Vote Compass thing said my beliefs are closest to Chow (~75% vs ~55% and ~35% for Tory and Ford respectively) I do think Tory is the best chance to unite Toronto. I think Toronto has become too fractured and polarized under Miller and Ford (especially Ford) and I hope Tory can reverse that trend. Chow is just for the inner city, Ford is just for the suburbs, Tory is for all Toronto.

The results map looks divided along class lines. Affluent = Tory; working class = Ford; "creative" = Chow. Wards with a mix of classes had closer results.

Tory's Executive Comm.? This will be interesting.

Here are some precognitions...Let's look back in a month and see how close I came
Deputy Mayor...Norm Kelly
Speaker...Jon Filion
Deputy Speaker...Gord Perks
Budget Chief...Paul Ainslie
Audit Chief/Affordable Housing Chair/Employee Relations...Rob Ford (got to keep him busy)
TTC Chair...Josh Colle
TPSB....John Burnside, Michelle Berardinetti, John Tory
Public Works... DWM
Government Mgmt... Josh Matlow
Licencing and Standards... Jaye Robinson
Parks and Enviroment... MMM
Economic Deveplopment... Michael Thompson (he is going to have his choice of chairs)
Planning and Growth... Mary Fragedakis
Community Development... Janet Davis
Civic Appointments...Shelley Carroll
Striking Committee...Gary Crawford
At Large Exec Members...Mark Grimes, Sarah Doucette, Kristin Wong-Tam, James Pasternak

Ann Hui ‏@annhui 4m4 minutes ago
We are hearing the Tory camp has already been issued an office at City Hall (not the mayor's office) from which they can start setting up
Ann Hui ‏@annhui 4m4 minutes ago
Also, Tory will be doing a press conference at City Hall at 2:30

Moving ahead quickly.

Who do we anticipate leading the anti-Tory caucus of progressive councillors? Under the Miller era many councillors like Jane Pitfield and Karen Stintz took the lead and built their profile on their steadfast opposition to Miller's initiatives. Who will lead the opposition and become the anointed progressive mayoral candidate in 2018? Janet Davis? Mike Layton?

Who do we anticipate leading the anti-Tory caucus of progressive councillors? Under the Miller era many councillors like Jane Pitfield and Karen Stintz took the lead and built their profile on their steadfast opposition to Miller's initiatives. Who will lead the opposition and become the anointed progressive mayoral candidate in 2018? Janet Davis? Mike Layton?

Well if Tory starts with the Exec and primo appointments as I suggest above he'll hamstring any opposition on either side before it can get its legs under it....

Back