News   Mar 28, 2024
 638     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 452     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 776     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...hn_tory_elected_mayor_of_toronto_reports.html

Tory said his top priority is addressing the city’s traffic and transportation woes.

I know he has often talked about not allowing deliveries downtown during rush hour. Maybe even banning turning movements.

I could even see Tory accept eliminating cars from King or Queen during rush hour. Of course, he cannot be totally against cars, so to give to transit on one hand he would have to give to cars on the other - probably announcing Eglinton Connects must be reworked to keep 2 lanes in each direction, keeping the Gardiner, etc.

As long as he balances the give and take between transit and traffic, he could pull off some real improvements for transportation.

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...hn_tory_elected_mayor_of_toronto_reports.html

I know he has often talked about not allowing deliveries downtown during rush hour. Maybe even banning turning movements.

I could even see Tory accept eliminating cars from King or Queen during rush hour. Of course, he cannot be totally against cars, so to give to transit on one hand he would have to give to cars on the other - probably announcing Eglinton Connects must be reworked to keep 2 lanes in each direction, keeping the Gardiner, etc.

As long as he balances the give and take between transit and traffic, he could pull off some real improvements for transportation.
No left turns without dedicated turn lanes, roundabouts, no on street parking on streetcar routes unless road is wide enough for a lane for streetcar and cars, in additional to the street parking. Sychronised traffic lights to improve traffic flow. No commercial vehicles on the DVP from 7am to 9am, and 4pm and 7pm. Rush hour recognized to 7pm, with no on street parking until 7pm. Commercial trucks parked blocking lanes immediately clamped with second offense fine worth 50% of vehicle's value.

Last edited:
No left turns without dedicated turn lanes, roundabouts, no on street parking on streetcar routes unless road is wide enough for a lane for streetcar and cars, in additional to the street parking. Sychronised traffic lights to improve traffic flow.
These all sound like good idea. Though I can't think of many spots downtown that roundabouts would work - though there's some spots in the suburbs. Traffic lights have been synchronised for years - the challenge downtown, is which direction should get the priority at what times, and how do you do this without more one-way streets? But you can easily see on suburban arteries in rush-hour, which direction is synchronised. And you can also see that Richmond and Adelaide have been given priority, much to the failure of streets like Parliament where cars and pedestrians alike get stuck on each light.

Commercial trucks parked blocking lanes immediately clamped with second offense fine worth 50% of vehicle's value.

I can't believe how much repeat offending occurs at Yonge and St. Clair. Even at 10 AM, it causes problems. This needs to be cracked down on, and the City should work to encourage the creation of dedicated delivery spaces available. Make them a required part of future developments. I also think Metrolinx is keen on addressing this through their Urban Freight Strategy.

Last edited:
No left turns without dedicated turn lanes, roundabouts, no on street parking on streetcar routes unless road is wide enough for a lane for streetcar and cars, in additional to the street parking. Sychronised traffic lights to improve traffic flow. No commercial vehicles on the DVP from 7am to 9am, and 4pm and 7pm. Rush hour recognized to 7pm, with no on street parking until 7pm. Commercial trucks parked blocking lanes immediately clamped with second offense fine worth 50% of vehicle's value.

Brilliant....except for the ridiculous ban on commercial vehicles during those hours. I don't know why we get the shit end of the stick, but people in construction who actually NEED to use their vehicles (unlike an office worker, for example) are to be banned from getting to their jobs in said vehicles that are NEEDED. This would be asinine. We already have problems with being underappreciated because we only build places for people to live and work.
I would ban single-person non-commercial vehicles during those times, if anything.

Full disclosure: I am fully in support of adding tolls to the DVP, for all vehicles....but a ban on commercial vehicles is a boot heel on the heads of hard-working construction slave-cogs such as myself. It's bad enough that no one appreciates the work we do (custom residential, myself) and thinks of us as being half a rung above the people who pick up your garbage, but banning (some of) us from getting to work at a normal time? It's enough to send me back to Carleton for poli sci.

Brilliant....except for the ridiculous ban on commercial vehicles during those hours. I don't know why we get the shit end of the stick,
You shouldn't. If anything private vehicles should be banned from the DVP in rush-hour, if their destination is anywhere downtown. Though not really feasible - how do you differentiate with some asshole driving to work to save 5 minutes compared to transit, and someone who has to drive to the office, grab a couple of boxes and materials, and then head to Peterborough for a meeting.

The real answer I think is tolls that are heavy enough that would really discourage daily use. This would make the highways move again, and should save enough time that it actually saves businesses and commercial drivers money, even with the tolls.

But I doubt this will happen in John Tory's Toronto.

Back in April, John Tory presented a Code of Conduct. Maybe at the first city council meeting in December, John should present a similar Code of Conduct for ALL members of city council. All members, if they agree to it, should publicly sign it, including the newly elected councillor from Ward Two.

From link:

Code of Conduct

Published on Apr 03, 2014 at 9:01 AM

LEADING A GREAT CITY

1. I will respect and defend our laws, not break them. I will act with the highest degree of integrity, honesty and professionalism that public office demands. In short, I will respect the law.

2. I will show up for work each day to get things done, and I will do this in a transparent manner. This includes keeping a weekly schedule that is public and easily accessible.

3. I will conduct, at a minimum, a weekly press availability that is open and honest. Fostering meaningful and open civic dialogue requires a Mayor who answers questions – not runs from them.

MAKE CITY COUNCIL WORK FOR TORONTO

4. I will build and promote strong working relationships with neighbouring municipalities and other levels of government without regard to their political stripe. Torontonians want tangible and meaningful results and that means working together.

5. I will mend relationships and build bridges in a divided City Council by working with every member on an issue-by-issue basis. The outcome needs to reflect a desire to make life better for Torontonians.

6. I will not compile an enemies list. Torontonians do not want a party system at city hall. I will use the mayor’s office to work with people, not carry on old fights.

7. I will always treat city staff with respect and professionalism. A Mayor can be tough and decisive without being overbearing and brash.

RESPECT TAXPAYERS WITH ACTIONS, NOT JUST WORDS

8. I will ensure that city resources are used exclusively for city business by tightening spending rules and oversight mechanisms. Not one public penny will be used on personal matters.

9. I will introduce real penalties for elected officials and public servants who abuse the privileges, responsibilities and trust that accompany public service. We work for Torontonians – not the other way around.

10. I will require all lobbyists to register in order to make our system more fair and accountable, including leveling the playing field for union lobbyists.

They may have the chance to amend it, change the wording, or make minor alterations. For example, showing up for work each day may not be realist because of health, committee duties, or emergencies. As well, instead of "mayor's office" maybe it should read "member of city council's office". Other rewording maybe needed as well. Its a start, build from this as a starting point.

I can see it being a problem from a certain newly elected councillor.

Last edited:
Brilliant....except for the ridiculous ban on commercial vehicles during those hours. I don't know why we get the shit end of the stick,
Because the damn dump trucks and transports, but especially the dump trunks can't travel on the DVP at the speed of traffic, while they dump dirt and stones on the road. I see this every morning as I drive up the DVP to work, where some dump truck is in the middle lane ambling along at 10-15 kph below the flow of traffic. I'll give you all day expect for 2 hours in the morning and 3 in the afternoon. As a dump truck driver, and looking from your perspective you're certainly entitled to disagree, but I want you off the road when everyone else is commuting.

You shouldn't. If anything private vehicles should be banned from the DVP in rush-hour, if their destination is anywhere downtown.
Um, isn't that like banning the sick from the hospitals in order to free up space? The very reason the DVP and Gardiner were built was to commuters to get from the 'burbs to downtown. The only problem is that the idea become so popular that demand is exceeding supply. If you're plan is to prohibit demand, then you might as well get rid of the supply, and demolish the DVP and Gardiner. Good luck with that.

Because the damn dump trucks and transports, but especially the dump trunks can't travel on the DVP at the speed of traffic, while they dump dirt and stones on the road. I see this every morning as I drive up the DVP to work, where some dump truck is in the middle lane ambling along at 10-15 kph below the flow of traffic. I'll give you all day expect for 2 hours in the morning and 3 in the afternoon. As a dump truck driver, and looking from your perspective you're certainly entitled to disagree, but I want you off the road when everyone else is commuting.

I don't drive a dump truck. I do metal work and roofing. Just a pickup with commercial plates.

All sorts of idiot drivers drive much too slow in the wrong lane besides; your point doesn't stand. Next.

What, people driving commercial vehicles don't commute?

So, we're going to differentiate between different types of commuters as to who has more of a right to use a public road?

Yeah, nothing at all discriminatory about that.
Where the hell do you get the idea that you have more of a right getting to work than someone working in construction, for example?
That's some shite arrogance.

Back