News   Apr 26, 2024
 175     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 432     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.3K     4 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

The media is reporting that Kouvalis is part of Tory's transition team.

The Star has an list of the transition team.

Transition team
* Case Ootes, former deputy mayor
* Rod Phillips, chair of CivicAction
* Christopher Eby, chief of staff to the Mayor-elect
* Vic Gupta, principal secretary to the Mayor-elect
* Joe Halstead, former commissioner of economic Development for the city
* Nick Kouvalis, Tory campaign advisor
* Susan McIsaac, president and CEO of the United Way Toronto
* Arthur Lofsky, former advisor to Ontario Finance Ministers Sobara and Duncan
* Shirley Hoy, former Toronto city manager
* Teresa Di Felice, director of government and community relations, for CAA South Central Ontario.

Transition Advisory Council
* Geoff Cape, founder and CEO of Evergreen
* Ken Chan, vice-president of advocacy, research and healthcare for Cystic Fibrosis Canada
* Alvin Curling, former speaker in the Ontario Legislature
* Mohamed Dhanani, executive officer for Ismaili Council of Canada
* Michelle DiEmanuele, president and CEO of Trillium Health Partners
* Robert Foster, founder and president of Capital Canada
* Nikki Holland, director of public affairs for Carpenters’ District Council of Ontario
* Blake Hutcheson, president and CEO of Oxford Properties
* Sharifa Khan, board member for Metro Toronto Convention Centre
* Sheldon Levy, president of Ryerson University;
* Marnie McBean, Olympian;
* Eric Miller, University of Toronto professor
* Micheal Nobrega, former president and CEO of Omers
* Gail Nyberg, executive director of the Daily Bread Food Bank
* Sevaun Palvetzian, CEO of the Greater Toronto CivicAction Alliance
* Rod Phillips, chair of CivicAction;
* Saad Rafi, CEO of the 2015 Pan Am and Parapan Am Games
* David Soknacki, former Toronto city councillor
* Steve Upton, vice president of Tridel and chair of BILD (Building Industry and Land Development Association)
* Gordon Cressy, president of George Brown College Foundation

I was quite surprised to see Gordon Cressy on the team. It's a pretty diverse group of people.

Im seeing quite a few people criticizing one or two members for their Porter ties, yet there are a few people on that list who are against the airport expansion plan. Do these people really expect someone to stack a transition team with people against Porter? Come on now...

This is from E. Keenan's article in the Star today, no online link yet. It's something worth reading IMO, and one excerpt in particular.

" Tory takes first steps on 'divided city'."

One theory that progressives have about disadvantaged people is that they are too uninformed to understand that the Ford Brothers propose nothing to solve those systemic problems. My own theory is that they do not believe the problems can be solved, or that they can trust the progressives or academics or Bay Streeters to solve them.

Have to say that I found the part about lack of trust to be true when I talk to people, and can't say I blame them or that they're wrong.

Tory has his work cut out for him and I wish him luck, and if he is serious about bridge building. I hope Tory doesn't waste too much time and energy trying to bring Doug or Rob into the tent. No need to antagonize them, but IMO Tory would be better off to bypass the unrepentant Lone Wolf and Thug, and instead go straight to the people that Rob and Doug claimed under their fiefdom. Not just schmoozing, but bring actual concrete results to them. I'm not talking about the true believer zealots, but the ones that can be reasoned with. And they are out there.

This is from E. Keenan's article in the Star today, no online link yet. It's something worth reading IMO, and one excerpt in particular.

Have to say that I found the part about lack of trust to be true when I talk to people, and can't say I blame them or that they're wrong.

Tory has his work cut out for him and I wish him luck, and if he is serious about bridge building. I hope Tory doesn't waste too much time and energy trying to bring Doug or Rob into the tent. No need to antagonize them, but IMO Tory would be better off to bypass the unrepentant Lone Wolf and Thug, and instead go straight to the people that Rob and Doug claimed under their fiefdom. Not just schmoozing, but bring actual concrete results to them. I'm not talking about the true believer zealots, but the ones that can be reasoned with. And they are out there.

^ I completely agree. It's all about trust right now. Even small actions will help Tory and other non-Ford candidates ease the power of Ford Nation next election. Moving forward without the Fords is essential, as they have continuously shown that they do not understand the concept of collaboration and team work. Any time spent trying to court and control the Ford's would be taking up time that can be spent making small gains within the communities that have issues trusting anyone but the Fords.

One theory that progressives have about disadvantaged people is that they are too uninformed to understand that the Ford Brothers propose nothing to solve those systemic problems. My own theory is that they do not believe the problems can be solved, or that they can trust the progressives or academics or Bay Streeters to solve them.

I can't say I've found that to be the case in my experience. Any current Ford supporter I've dealt with has had little idea how the system even works.

The idea that some are frustrated and feel disconnected with the current political system is completely understandable. There reaches a point, however, when disillusionment becomes ignorance. Democracy requires engagement; that doesn't mean one has to volunteer with a political group or candidate, but at the very least they have to be informed.

Ford supporters (the ones that are left) have largely demonstrated themselves to be almost willfully ignorant and woefully uninformed.

I can't say I've found that to be the case in my experience. Any current Ford supporter I've dealt with has had little idea how the system even works.

The idea that some are frustrated and feel disconnected with the current political system is completely understandable. There reaches a point, however, when disillusionment becomes ignorance. Democracy requires engagement; that doesn't mean one has to volunteer with a political group or candidate, but at the very least they have to be informed.

Ford supporters (the ones that are left) have largely demonstrated themselves to be almost willfully ignorant and woefully uninformed.

You see that is is the point of "Fordism" the immediacy and specific gratification that a perceived problem is acknowledged.
It doesn't make any difference whether the solution is correct the problem has been seen and been taken note of.
It doesn't make any difference that the solution is not thoughtout, you can always return things to the status quo...Examples of this are numerous in Ward 2 particularly when looking at traffic control and parking there is instance after instance where a solution has satisfied a complainant however upset the general neighbourhood thereby forcing a return to the complainer'ssituation....
Cost is of no import when working with "Fordism" because the micromanaging of the situation finds a solution....it is only when macrobudgeting comes to fore that "Fordism" breaksdown...it is the yearend variances the numbers people don't see, the motions quietly passed taking monies from reserves that are going to catch up...

Same with Adam Vaughan in Ward 20. Doug and Rob talks about 16 hr workdays, Adam was doing it. I cannot even begin to count the number of evening community meetings I attended where Adam was present, not as an observer but fully engaged and led and moderated the discussions. Him and Mike are both very hard workers. I hope Cressy will follow in his footsteps.

John Tory was already up at 5 AM (that's morning) on Tuesday. He was doing interviews Tuesday morning, instead of sleeping in because of the election night celebrations.

In the beginning, Rofo got up early too. He wanted to goto work.

Anyhow, nice to see the return of press conferences.

Now that the Fords are on the outside I actually see them as a force for good in this city at city hall and among our city leaders and organizations. They are like the barbarians beyond the gate ready to take over and unleash their hordes if our civic leaders forget themselves and alienate too many people, or if the thriving prosperous city leaves too many people behind.

Now that the Fords are on the outside I actually see them as a force for good in this city at city hall and among our city leaders and organizations. They are like the barbarians beyond the gate ready to take over and unleash their hordes if our civic leaders forget themselves and alienate too many people, or if the thriving prosperous city leaves too many people behind.

And if they alienate too many people, the solution is to let the barbarians in and alienate even more poeple? A Faustian bargain, at best.

AoD

I'm seeing some news talking about margin of victory and if that counts as a "mandate" or would that be a sign of struggling. If you look at history margin of victory has nothing to do with how successful you are. Actually it seems if you have a competitive win in your first Mayor win you end up with more success than the first-time Mayor with an easy victory.

David Miller barely defeated Tory and he sailed into a second term easily. Lastman had a close election with Hall and easily got re-elected for a second term

On the contrary June Rowlands won by 20 points when she became mayor and she turned out one-and-done and we don't have to look no further than Robbie who won by double digits and lost control after his first year.

It seems like if you got elected in a close race you pay more attention to the councilors and want to work to keep the support. If you win by a landslide you come in with a full ego and thoughts of "mandates" and turn people off fast.

So is Tory going to try to put through a right-wing austerity agenda with a more conciliatory approach, or is he basically going to govern like a big-"L" Liberal? I guess time will tell.

^ I completely agree. It's all about trust right now. Even small actions will help Tory and other non-Ford candidates ease the power of Ford Nation next election. Moving forward without the Fords is essential, as they have continuously shown that they do not understand the concept of collaboration and team work. Any time spent trying to court and control the Ford's would be taking up time that can be spent making small gains within the communities that have issues trusting anyone but the Fords.

Sincerely hope someone from the Tory camp is looking at this thread if only to take this particular post to heart and mind.

Did anyone see John Tory on Metro Morning?

http://www.cbc.ca/metromorning/episodes/2014/10/28/toronto-mayor-elect/

I'm already fond of our new mayor, myself and others may criticize or disagree with him but one thing we cannot deny is his love for this city. Let's see if he has the conviction to get what he talks about done.

Yeah, I heard that, great interview. With his transition team including Soknacki, reaching out to his former opponents, already talking to all the councillors and already meeting with Andy Byford, pretty damn good start for the first two days, setting to tone of co-operation.

Also the fact that he thoughtfully & pleasantly answered questions from reporters with well spoken English, and said he would take the subway to work, it's quite a breath of fresh air compared to the previous mayor, who could not speak in full sentences, avoided all questions with hostility, and ran over everyone & flipped people off in his SUV.

Back