News   Apr 24, 2024
 463     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 635     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 508     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

As for the police - my most recent family crisis lead to a Wellness Check and the police were brilliant. No drama no fussing just got on with it. Family member said he kept thinking about Regis while the cops were talking to him but in our case it ended well - yes we are white and Toronto born but it was still nerve wracking for my fm to be approached by the police. He thought maybe the recycling bins had become a nuisance. We managed to buttonhole the officer in the ER (30 hours later, waiting for a bed) and thanked him for his professionalism. As for my family member it's possible he will end up in a "facility" but that is a whole other drama.

BREAKING: For a third and final time, Jim Karygiannis has been kicked out of office. The Supreme Court of Canada has rejected his last-ditch effort to keep his Scarborough seat. He is no longer a councillor and has no more legal options.

Wonderful news!

I wonder how long before its diminished by a suspect appointment by Council to fill the vacancy.

(there's 2 years left in the term, so we couldn't rule out a by-election, but that would seem out of character for Council)

Wonderful news!

I wonder how long before its diminished by a suspect appointment by Council to fill the vacancy.

(there's 2 years left in the term, so we couldn't rule out a by-election, but that would seem out of character for Council)
Yes here is the City Press Release:

On June 24, 2020, the Ontario Court of Appeal issued a decision that Jim Karygiannis was subject to the penalties imposed by the Municipal Elections Act, 1996, which included the forfeiture of his seat as City Councillor for Ward 22.

Mr. Karygiannis sought leave to appeal this decision from the Supreme Court of Canada and was granted permission by the Ontario Court of Appeal to remain as a City Councillor pending a decision from the Court whether it would hear that appeal.

The Supreme Court of Canada today announced it would not hear the appeal by Mr. Karygiannis. By virtue of today’s decision by the Court, Mr. Karygiannis is no longer a City Councillor for Ward 22.

A report will go to City Council on September 30 with the option for Council to either appoint or direct a by-election to fill the seat.

Good riddance!

BREAKING: For a third and final time, Jim Karygiannis has been kicked out of office. The Supreme Court of Canada has rejected his last-ditch effort to keep his Scarborough seat. He is no longer a councillor and has no more legal options.

Finally a silver bullet for that vampire!

Now if only we could find a way to rid council of Stephen Holyday...

I would like to report, with great astonishment............that finally............after all these years.........Denzil Minnan-Wong has finally taken my advice to contribute something positive to City politics before his career ends! :p

He's got a motion before Council at the next meeting to make all Staff directories for the City, its Boards and Commissions public.

As someone who has a lot of the contacts that aren't currently public facing; even I run into hassles trying to find the right person sometimes.

I can always call someone else to get the number/email, but that seems so unnecessary.

With apologies to staff who may face some additional time-wasting calls or spam emails; this is an important move for transparent government.

I see that City Clerk Ulli Watkiss is retiring after 19 years. She was amazingly effective in dealing with the mess created by Doug Ford when he cut Council in half in the middle of the last election. I have never met her but she seems like a great public servant and hard to replace.

I don't think an argument was about the city falling apart, I think the criticism was a chaotic election due to last minute change, and reduction in representation (doubling population per councilor).

Back