340     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 450     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Not hearing a counter argument.

One was not required.

I take no issue with differing opinions and enjoy debate.

But I do not wish to sanction people who are morally bankrupt, and whose arguments are specious and poorly considered at best.

That said, if you scrolled down you would find an argument in a subsequent post.

I don't think you're really aware of what's going on in the real world where people are being censored for holding different (but totally reasonable) views.

This sort of statement is going to get you into big trouble here.

Its exceeding rude to essentially call someone an idiot (which you just did by suggesting they have no clue what's going on in the real world) who is a long time and well respected poster here.

If you wish to express disagreement that's fine.

But do so with respect; that isn't merely not swearing; its about starting your post without a presumption you're a vastly more knowledgeable soul than the person you're addressing; and not assuming said party is an idiot.

Exceptions can be made, where there is extraordinary evidence of a poster's ignorance or malice; but that is not the case here.

The poster I critiqued said something that was off-topic; ill-informed, and expressed with malice and contempt for fellow human beings......

That is not acceptable, anymore than swearing, threats, racism, misogyny, homophobia or any other nonsense.

When you are on a forum, you are subject to its guidelines and rules.

You can be warned, suspended or banned for abusing them.

That is not 'censorship'.

No one is burning this person's book, nor prohibiting them from starting their own forum or website, nor joining another than sanctions such views.

They aren't facing prosecution or jail.

To equate a requirement for human decency with censorship is to do a great disservice to the latter.

Perhaps we now get back to on-topic and respectful discussion, as I have no further wish to discuss this person.

Last edited:
Hidden fire hydrant is a parking enforcement officer’s dream

From link.

fixer_hydrant.jpg

A fire hydrant that’s obscured from drivers by bushes and a fence is a juicy ticket trap.

But the city refuses to do anything to make drivers aware of it, like putting up warning signs, as it has done elsewhere.

There’s money to be made in doing nothing.

Oliver Kuhn said he was tricked into parking in front of a hydrant on the north side of Charles Street East, near Queen’s Park Circle, because it is so well-hidden from the street.

He returned to find a $100 ticket on his car for parking within three metres of a hydrant. Only when he carefully surveyed the area did he spot the fireplug, well back from the street and obscured by bushes and a wrought-iron fence.

A pay-and-display machine that dispenses parking slips is almost in front of the hydrant, which further sucked him into thinking it was a legal parking spot, said Kuhn, adding that he fought the ticket online but lost.

“You have to consider the purpose of fines for parking in proximity of fire hydrants. It's to ensure that firefighters can access hydrants, and therefore motivated by consideration for the public good.

“If the city really cared about public safety, they would not locate a parking area right in front of this hydrant. They obviously have not addressed this situation because they like the revenue.

“I think this is a clear case of entrapment. It’s extremely frustrating, and with this new online system (for disputing tickets) I didn’t even get a chance to express my perspective to a real person. It just makes me so angry that there is no reasonable recourse, and the city will continue doing this to people.”

I had a hard time finding the hydrant — and I knew it was there, somewhere. I finally spotted it on the grounds of the Annesley Hall Residence at Victoria College, part of the University of Toronto.

Based on how hard it is to see, any driver ticketed there could only conclude that the city doesn’t want them to know they’ve parked in front of a hydrant.

It’s such a racket that Toronto lawyer Robert Holland built a website called Ticket Trap Angels after watching parking enforcement officers fatten their batting averages on two honeypot hydrants on University Ave.

STATUS: I asked the city if it would consider putting up signs that alert drivers to the hydrants, as it finally did on University – but only after Mayor John Tory got involved. Here’s the reply: “City staff have investigated and determined that the fire hydrant is on private (University of Toronto) land and therefore not a City of Toronto fire hydrant. Staff have notified Toronto Police Parking Enforcement and we suggest contacting them for any additional information as it relates to parking enforcement at this location.”

That seemed like a copout to me, so I sent them another note saying as much. I got a second reply from the city that said, “As this isn’t a City of Toronto hydrant, the city wouldn’t put up signage for privately-owned infrastructure. I recommend you reach out to Police about their parking enforcement approach at this location. You may also consider reaching the University of Toronto — which owns the hydrant.”

I then got a phone call from a city communicator, who said parking enforcement has “paused” issuing tickets at that location, but he did not say it was permanent. He also urged me to contact police. But here’s the thing: The city pockets the revenue from the tickets, so it has an obligation to make reasonable efforts to warn drivers, as it did on University, no matter who owns the hydrant. So far, it is shrugging off that responsibility.

I’ve sent a note to parking enforcement, as suggested by two city communicators, but they’re in the business of issuing tickets, not warning people away. That’s the city’s job.

"this person" would like to continue to discuss the erosion of the community but elitist pseudo intellectuals won't qualify my actual existence (former homeless and currently in the mental health system). So there you have it, someone who actually fits the supposed postitive-discrimination agenda is insulted and bullied - but that's okay because the person doing the bullying thinks they are terribly, terribly, terribly noble and broad minded. Even people who are ill have responsibilities and opinions.

"this person" would like to continue to discuss the erosion of the community but elitist pseudo intellectuals won't qualify my actual existence (former homeless and currently in the mental health system). So there you have it, someone who actually fits the supposed postitive-discrimination agenda is insulted and bullied - but that's okay because the person doing the bullying thinks they are terribly, terribly, terribly noble and broad minded. Even people who are ill have responsibilities and opinions.

You posted a bunch of stuff with little or no direct relation or no proof of such to homeless placement. Stolen doorknobs, bikers and a mentally ill man (obviously not living in the placement if he's living on the street) are unrelated anecdote unless otherwise proven. Perhaps maybe, your obvious bias is making you notice these things all of the sudden? Worse yet, aside from missing doorknobs, assuming they were actually stolen, nothing you listed is a crime. It's all just a visual inconvenience and prime NIMBYism.

I've seen bikers on the Esplanade myself; the last time we met up with friends to go to the OSF, about 3 years ago. The proximity to motorcycle clubs in Corktown and Riverdale the likely reason for that. Or maybe it was just time-traveling proof from the future that the homeless placement was bound to be a problem?

And again, people don't agree with you so you call it bullying, proclaiming your bullies to exist on some unreachable high horse. Only in a biased mind does caring about the health and well being of all human beings, and especially those in disadvantaged and victimized communities get trumped by "I have to see homeless people living near me".

I'm sure your comments would be welcome and encouraged at the SLNA, as groups like that are more likely to encourage such pearl clutching.

Even people who are ill have responsibilities and opinions.

What's their responsibility here? To not live near you? Okay, Coriolanus.

Average Rent Prices in Toronto Down for Eighth Straight Month

From link.

It’s official: Toronto’s rental market has softened — for the first time in years — and July continued to see average rent prices fall for the eighth month in a row.

This is according to the latest rental report from TorontoRentals.com and Bullpen Research & Consulting which found that, year-over-year, the average monthly rent for all property types has sunk a whopping 11% in the former City of Toronto.

Meanwhile, a number of nearby areas experienced double-digit annual rent drops, too: East York plummeted 16%; North York, 12%; and Oakville, 11%; while Mississauga saw a 10% drop.

Not in the double-digits but also near and dear, Etobicoke sunk 7%, while Vaughan and Richmond hill saw decreases of 6% and 9% respectively. Scarborough saw a notably smaller drop than other regions surveyed — down only 1.7%, and beaten for the lowest spot only by Burlington’s 0.2% sink.

torblog.png

Diving into specifics for Toronto itself, most neighbourhoods have experienced average monthly rent declines where condominium apartments are concerned; on average, condo rental rates in the GTA are down 10.2% annually. The Waterfront-Communities-The Island is the area that’s seen the largest drop; this swath of the city encompasses much of the most-recently completed condo supply, and the average asking per square foot sunk more than 9% y-o-y.

But it’s not just the new condos that are impacted. Regardless of how old the condos are, the report says, “rent declines appear to be impacting all products available.” If the rental market continues to soften in the way it has been, more investors are likely to sell their suites. In fact, July’s data indicates the resale market’s increasing strength, with sales up 7% y-o-y, and prices up 9% annually in the GTA.

On top of all these shifts, the downtown core has lost some of its value — an understandable situation, considering that for many, proximity to office spaces is less important than it was before.

“With a large part of the workforce still working from home, there is a greater need for more space for home offices and a diminished need to be near a downtown office,” said Matt Danison, CEO of Rentals.ca.

Condos aside, following a three-month dip resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic, the average rent for apartments was higher in July of this year than it was during the same month in 2019 — a whole $35 higher, up to $2,065 from $2,030.

“Apartments were hot in 2019,” says the report, while the annual growth rate for this January was just shy of 17%. The pandemic, however, and the lack of demand that stemmed from it, meant a speedy drop in the average rent which, by April, turned negative. Over the last two months, average rent trended up, bringing the annual growth rate was about 2% in July.

Whether or not the economy’s reopening will result in increased rental demand, it’s still too soon to tell, but one thing’s for certain… for landlords and owners, the introduction of rental incentives isn’t a shabby idea.

Brampton is low as there no international students moving in.
That's a bit of a specious statement. Everywhere in the GTA is down. Why would "international students" make any more an impact in Brampton than anywhere else?

That's a bit of a specious statement. Everywhere in the GTA is down. Why would "international students" make any more an impact in Brampton than anywhere else?
Its a joke about Brampton being full of international students from india

I'm sure your comments would be welcome and encouraged at the SLNA, as groups like that are more likely to encourage such pearl clutching.

What's their responsibility here? To not live near you? Okay, Coriolanus.

Actually the SLNA had no problems with the temporary respite centre at 98 The Esplanade - not all neighbourhood associations are NIMBYS !

Not surprised if people used logic.

Also the siu seemed to investigated very indepth and says the cops should have done more then they made things worse by being there.

Last edited:
Not surprised if people used logic.

Also the siu seemed to investigated very indepth and says the cops should have done more then they made things worse by being there.

The mother seems to forget she is the one who called the police and wanted them to take her daughter to the hospital, which the police can not do.

Back