News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 634     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Report to upcoming Meeting of Executive Ctte on July 21 recommends a sole source contract with 'Pay It' to digitize payment of property taxes, utility payments, building permits and parking tickets, all with a single e-system.

City will pay out 2.5% of credit card payments, 1.5% of debit payments, they are estimating the City break's even after 12 months and thereafter is financially ahead through savings in staff handling mail and counter requests and through avoidance of spending on in-house e-billing equipment/software.

How this sort of thing wasn't already in place eons ago is frustrating. The days of having to set aside time during work hours to travel to a randomly placed municipal office (often away from mass transit) and stand in a line for basic services or forms should be well in the past.

The Star's Jennifer Pagliarao reported on a virtual townhall meeting held by Councillor Bailao's office yesterday.

She was inundated with scrutiny over her votes on the Police budget.

Meetings are not always the best judge of the overall feeling in an area.

But if this one is even the vaguest indication of where her Ward is at........I think she is politically vulnerable in the next election.

She's a key Tory ally.

He has enough votes on Council that he can afford to lose 1 or 2. But after that it gets a lot more interesting.

1595321071571.png

The Star's Jennifer Pagliarao reported on a virtual townhall meeting held by Councillor Bailao's office yesterday.

She was inundated with scrutiny over her votes on the Police budget.

Meetings are not always the best judge of the overall feeling in an area.

But if this one is even the vaguest indication of where her Ward is at........I think she is politically vulnerable in the next election.

She's a key Tory ally.

He has enough votes on Council that he can afford to lose 1 or 2. But after that it gets a lot more interesting.

View attachment 258464

I can confirm that she took a lot of heat in local facebook groups for voting against defunding the police.

I can confirm that she took a lot of heat in local facebook groups for voting against defunding the police.

Defund the police people are a tiny minority of the general populace in Toronto especially those who vote at the city level.

As most people feel
1. It's an attack on police from.anti police people.
2. No one really defines defund the police well either so causes mass confusion.

It's only very popular on twitter with younger people who never vote in city elections

Defund the police people are a tiny minority of the general populace in Toronto especially those who vote at the city level.

As most people feel
1. It's an attack on police from.anti police people.
2. No one really defines defund the police well either so causes mass confusion.

It's only very popular on twitter with younger people who never vote in city elections
Who are these "most people" you talk about? Got polls to back that up? Or is this just the people you know, or a Trumpian reflection of your own feelings?

Personally, as a not-young-45-year-old-who-votes-in-city-elections, I'd rather the vast majority of city money go to something other than our already overfunded police-force?

Also, you contradicted yourself as to whether *they* vote or don't at the city level.

Who are these "most people" you talk about? Got polls to back that up? Or is this just the people you know, or a Trumpian reflection of your own feelings?

Personally, as a not-young-45-year-old-who-votes-in-city-elections, I'd rather the vast majority of city money go to something other than our already overfunded police-force?

Also, you contradicted yourself as to whether *they* vote or don't at the city level.

I go by polls showing overwhelming support for police reform but the phrase 'defund the police' gets a lot of blowback from the public.

So my point is that social media like twitter shows overwhelming desire to defund the police but I think the phrase has become way to toxic to get wide approval from the Toronto city voting base which is generally older compared to twitter.

So why I advocate push to police reform then defund the police.

Cause the debate is pretty much "screw them pigs defund the police"

Most of the public will be like 😉

However if its let's take funds from police having to answer mental health calls to mental health workers...then people be like okay.

Be honest the phrase defund the police should be abdandoned

Last edited:
Not sure where we discussed the virtues of renaming Dundas; the City is out with a vague position that something will change.........but it may/may not be the street name.

From the above briefing note to the Mayor, from the City Manager:

I am committed to bringing forward a report to the Executive Committee meeting on September 23, 2020 that will

:•fully assess four options for responding to the petition (do nothing; retain the legal street names with additional interpretation and recognitions; retain the legal street names but rename those civic assets with Dundas in their name, except TTC; and rename the streets and other civic assets now carrying the Dundas name)

•estimate the costs that would be incurred by businesses, organizations, property owners, and residents with a street address on Dundas as well as any service or directory that maps or shows addresses (e.g., the PATH system)

•for the renaming option, outline a community engagement strategy and change management process that simultaneously addresses in an integrated manner all civic assets with the Dundas name (streets, parks, TTC, Toronto Public Library, and Yonge-Dundas Square) by the end of 2021

•beyond Dundas Street, propose a framework to more broadly understand and respond to how systematic racism and discrimination are embedded in City assets, commemorative programs, and naming policies. This might ultimately touch all named City
streets, parks and facilities, public monuments, and civic awards and honours, potentially leading to a variety of actions (e.g., renaming streets, removing monuments, revoking awards, or reinterpreting any of these).

Also from said briefing note:

1595365990899.png

1595366020513.png

so overfunded that they don't have enough money even to enforce speed limits lol

Back