News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.7K     1 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Last edited:
The Ontario election results by Toronto ridings, from this link:

11 went NDP
11 went PC
3 went Liberal

Multiply the ridings by 2 to get wards, we could get 22 leaning for NDP and 22 leaning PC, and 6 leaning Liberal, if we had the party system at the civic level.

Since Tory was PC, that means 1 extra PC. Interesting battle coming October.

The Ontario election results by Toronto ridings, from this link:

11 went NDP
11 went PC
3 went Liberal

Multiply the ridings by 2 to get wards, we could get 22 leaning for NDP and 22 leaning PC, and 6 leaning Liberal, if we had the party system at the civic level.

Since Tory was PC, that means 1 extra PC. Interesting battle coming October.

The Liberals on Toronto City Council lean right, especially now that Shelley Carroll is gone.

The most left-leaning Liberal on Council is probably Josh Matlow or Mary Margaret-McMahon. Then you have mushy middle types like Chin Lee and Ana Bailao. Josh Colle, Cesar Palacio, Justin Di Ciano, Mark Grimes, Jim Karygiannis and Glenn De Baremaeker are also all [blue] Liberals, as probably Michelle Holland. They're generally Tory allies.

There are no real centre-left Liberals on Council like Carroll or Adam Vaughan right now. Tory has a good grip with PC-aligned councillors and rightist Liberals.

The Liberals on Toronto City Council lean right, especially now that Shelley Carroll is gone.

The most left-leaning Liberal on Council is probably Josh Matlow or Mary Margaret-McMahon. Then you have mushy middle types like Chin Lee and Ana Bailao. Josh Colle, Cesar Palacio, Justin Di Ciano, Mark Grimes, Jim Karygiannis and Glenn De Baremaeker are also all [blue] Liberals, as probably Michelle Holland. They're generally Tory allies.

There are no real centre-left Liberals on Council like Carroll or Adam Vaughan right now. Tory has a good grip with PC-aligned councillors and rightist Liberals.

That will no doubtedly change with the ward changes, as more weight gets properly put back into the areas of most density, which most often lean left.

I appreciate that after a truncated Ford mayoral term and one with Tory in charge left leaning voters are getting impatient to see someone representing their interests at City Hall.

There have been many instances of arguably poor policy directions during his first term but on balance I think those poor policy directions largely were in the service of a reasonably fair representation of what the people wanted in that geographic area. Tory gave left stuff to left leaning areas of the city, right leaning stuff to right leaning areas.

I think that makes him a good Mayor. He largely ended the previous oscillation of political interests where policy was all about imposing a vision of the City (Miller, Ford) on areas of the city that aren’t interested in that vision.

@TrickyRicky, I pretty well agree with that sentiment. I'll see what the options are at the election, but I may even vote for him.

The one thing I sort of can't get over though is the Gardiner. I've been for blowing it up for years. It's a sore and I would volunteer (this does not come easily) my time to help demolish it.

With Ford as Premier, is anyone else scared of electing anyone besides John Tory?

Anyone to the right of Tory will likely be a Ford ally, whereas anyone to the left of Tory is likely to antagonise Premier Ford.

Dare I say it, but he is the most appropriate person for the job at this moment.

Mtown, I thought about the gardiner when I wrote my previous post. I still think that decision is consistent with Tory’s balanced representation. While not tearing down that gardiner section may be a missed opportunity in terms of creating the potential for a Ken Greenberg mixed use planning excercise, existing stakeholders are largely the highway users who currently use that piece of road. The hybrid tries to satisfy some of the status quo stakeholders and some of those calling for area redevelopment. It’s politically mushy middle-of-the-road stuff in my opinion not an outrageous betrayal of City building principles.

With Ford as Premier, is anyone else scared of electing anyone besides John Tory?

Anyone to the right of Tory will likely be a Ford ally, whereas anyone to the left of Tory is likely to antagonise Premier Ford.

Dare I say it, but he is the most appropriate person for the job at this moment.

Very much agreed! This is why he won't get any credible challengers.

Mtown, I thought about the gardiner when I wrote my previous post. I still think that decision is consistent with Tory’s balanced representation.
This is true, I'm just so set for blowing it up is all.

While not tearing down that gardiner section may be a missed opportunity in terms of creating the potential for a Ken Greenberg mixed use planning excercise, existing stakeholders are largely the highway users who currently use that piece of road.

Like me. That's right. I use it daily and still want it gone.

A thought exercise I had the other day is that if we accept that there is such thing as right-wing or left-wing extremism does it follow that there is such thing as centrist extremism and is Tory a centrist extremist?

Some of Tory's positions make neither fiscal nor practical political sense and in some cases is it an example of a kind of centrist extremism? Sometimes "good" things come from right-wing and left-wing extremism. Sometimes you have to pick sides and take risks. If you are appealing to the middle-of-the-road consensus status quo and it for instance wastes considerable resources is that an irrational decision that is symptomatic of a hard line approach?

I don't know but maybe Tory is sometimes guilty of this kind of policy decision.

People on Twitter want Tory to fix everything on his own. Are they indicating support for the "strong mayor" system that Doug Ford wants to install?

People on Twitter want Tory to fix everything on his own. Are they indicating support for the "strong mayor" system that Doug Ford wants to install?
The 'strong mayor' system is fine if the mayor is going to do what you want (or what I want!) . If the strong mayor is someone like Rob Ford a city needs the 'brake' applied by councillors. Be careful what you wish for.

Back