News   Jun 19, 2024
 615     0 
News   Jun 19, 2024
 2.7K     4 
News   Jun 19, 2024
 627     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

On the subject of violence in our City, while any is too much, it remains important to say Toronto is among the very safest major cities in the world, and has a homicide count well below its peak with almost 50% more people than then. Though, I hasten to add, as @MTown points out, 'occurrences' are up.

That said, we always want to do better, and so we should.

The focus must absolutely be on early intervention and prevention.

People don't spontaneously become sociopaths or murderers at 17, 18, or 19 etc.

Its a process that begins when things go wrong relatively early.

It is not cause by poverty, but it is exacerbated by it.

Put simply, for the vast majority, if you feel you have hope, you have something to lose, and other people who have faith in you, you rarely end up choosing a life of crime.

Conversely, if you have no hope, feel excluded/ignored, and imagine you have little or nothing to lose, then a gang or a life of crime seems a much more appealing choice.

2/3 of those in US prisons do not have a HS diploma.

That's a remarkable correlation right there.

Intervention early takes 4 forms:

First help people not become parents who aren't ready through good sex ed. and readily available birth control.

Second, help young/at-risk parents be better parents with free pre-natal classes, parental classes and extra support, post-birth, and pre-school.

Third, intervene with students are falling behind academically quickly. I know many teachers and have been told the most challenged students can be a full grade level behind by grade 3, which compounds to more than 2 years behind by HS, a surefire path to dropping out and difficulty.

Those same teachers have said that 'summer school' as offered is not the answer; that its barely a babysitting service.

A variety of alternatives need to be looked at from teaching assistants providing one on one support to free remedial classes on weekends or one or two evenings a week to help students who need it catch up.

Fourth, we know there's a strong connection between male criminality and lack of a good adult role model in a young man's life. We need to focus on programs that link young men at risk to caring mentors who will inspire them, help them and support them.

If we can get those done, I see no reason we can't cut the number of drop outs by 1/2 and criminals by 1/3.

Combine that w/measures to combat poverty and make life better for those who work hard to better themselves and their communities and a substantial difference can be achieved.
I bumped this post to the top as it should be cross-posted in the "Shootings" string.

When I read sewer rats , I never considered that it was a reference to black people vs just bad (scumbag) criminal people. Is "sewer rat" => "black people" really a thing?

/old and senile

Not only is sewer rats not a racial pejorative, it isn't the least bit unreasonable in the circumstance. He was specifically describing 3 suspects, who, at the time he had no description of, other than they had shot up a playground in broad daylight, and injured and almost killed 2 young children.

I could think of less kind descriptors for the persons involved.

I am a big advocate of social justice in many respects, I am also an advocate for eliminating prison as a sentence for non-violent offenses unless there is clearly no other option, for a repeat offender.

I am indeed a champion of well measured sentences (meaning not excessive) and of properly investing in people who are going to be released and who are released to give them a shot at becoming gainfully employed and law abiding.

For all of that, the above noted individuals did something that was criminal, vile, reckless and would offend most violent criminals, in addition to the general public.

Desmond Cole does the cause of a just society great harm when he allows that goal to be seen as the defense of violent criminals who put children and the general public at risk.

Those folks too, should get rehabilitation assistance, and may one day, with any luck, amount to far more than they do now.

But for the time being, they are entitled to no more kindness than the law prescribes.

If Desmond wanted some good to come out of this, he should be advocating for expanded programs for kids to divert them away from such a life. That he could get most people behind.

What a waste of the bully pulpit.

Racism is very real concern in our society; this was not that.

Save the energy for the right battles, the ones that matter.

Last edited:
When I read sewer rats , I never considered that it was a reference to black people vs just bad (scumbag) criminal people. Is "sewer rat" => "black people" really a thing?

/old and senile

Never heard of it and I'm pretty street. Well, not so involved in the day-to-day shadowy side of society anymore but I've been around some blocks and have been friendly with all sorts.

I think it's more that Desmond Cole is a bit of a tit.

Back