News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 396     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Honest question, why is assimilation such a dirty word?

I understand coming from a First Nation's perspective, but personally I am proud that my parents having both immigrated to Canada, have assimilated to Canadian society.

Assimilation should be the end-goal of immigration, ideally achieved by the second-generation. And, assimilation is IMO fully-compatible with multi-culturalism.
Context. Assimilation, like homosexual, has been given a certain context due to their use in derogatory ways. Simplistically, to "fit in" typically means identify as and being part of and supporting of a whole like being part of a multicultural country like Canada. Assimilation on the other hand has come to mean in most cases that the individual or group has or will become as the whole and loose their distinctiveness. Melting Pots are more like the latter, preferring that one, and only one set of values, etc. are expectable; the many voices are changed to the one voice.

Differences allow us the evolution, progressiveness and the ability of adaptation, and by extension, the concept of democracy.

On a side this is why I don't like the whole Afro-American/Canadian title as it serves more to divide us than preserve our contributions.

I hope I haven't pissed-off too many people with these opinions.

Last edited:
Context. Assimilation, like homosexual, has been given a certain context due to their use in derogatory ways. Simplistically, to "fit in" typically means identify as and being part of and supporting of a whole like being part of a multicultural country like Canada. Assimilation on the other hand has come to mean in most cases that the individual or group has or will become as the whole and loose their distinctiveness. Melting Pots are more like the latter, preferring that one, and only one set of values, etc. are expectable; the many voices are changed to the one voice.

Differences allow us the evolution, progressiveness and the ability of adaptation, and by extension, the concept of democracy.

On a side this is why I don't like the whole Afro-American/Canadian title as it serves more to divide us than preserve our contributions.

I hope I haven't pissed-off too many people with these opinions.
In the Canadian context, assimilation is indeed multiculturalism though, isn't it? We are more salad bowl than melting pot. When I said in the previous post that my parents have assimilated, I didn't mean of course that they have become WASPs, or have lost their home cultures. I meant that they have taken over the values and ideals of Canadian society, however way we wish to define that.

While practicing their home cultures or even languages under the veil of multi-culturalism, assimilation to Canadian societal values by immigrants are necessary to embody the same sense of secularism, liberalism, respect of the judiciary, civic duty, and of course, belief in our democratic institutions, as the greater Canadian society.

I dislike how close that this get's to Kellie Leitch's Canadian values, since that is an obvious false flag for her xenophobia. However, I find it equally asinine to abandon the principles that uphold the social contract that is Canada, as without them there is no Canada.

While practicing their home cultures or even languages under the veil of multi-culturalism, assimilation to Canadian societal values by immigrants are necessary to embody the same sense of secularism, liberalism, respect of the judiciary, civic duty, and of course, belief in our democratic institutions, as the greater Canadian society.

I dislike how close that this get's to Kellie Leitch's Canadian values, since that is an obvious false flag for her xenophobia. However, I find it equally asinine to abandon the principles that uphold the social contract that is Canada, as without them there is no Canada.

You can't really test for these values, you can't really hang it around your neck and claim that you are it - you can only demonstrate it by living it. That's something I believe strongly we have been successful by and large.

AoD

So basically tell someone else to find the funds. If they don't show up you can say you tried or you can really start acting and start requesting 3rd party consultation which effectively delays the outcome so far in t future people are less angry about it or you are no longer in office. Kind of sounds like the transit file

In the Canadian context, assimilation is indeed multiculturalism though, isn't it? We are more salad bowl than melting pot. When I said in the previous post that my parents have assimilated, I didn't mean of course that they have become WASPs, or have lost their home cultures. I meant that they have taken over the values and ideals of Canadian society, however way we wish to define that.

I agree, the taint of political agendas is what has provided new context for "assimilation", Star Trek has not exactly helped things either.

Last edited:
This budget can go straight to hell.

Even better, Mammo and Holyday Jr. wanted a 0 percent increase. Just imagine if you ran your household budget the same way. Unfortunately, we need to raise property taxes by way more than inflation to fix this mess. Of course Doug stirring the pot isn't helping either, as Tory is looking over his shoulder for the next election. Do you think Karla pays 2010 prices for her Coach bags? I think not.

In reality, we're a buffet. We pick and choose what traditions from the old country we carry on and what cultures we adopt. At least that is the case for those of us born/raised here. We pick up whatever we see in school. A "tossed salad" would be more like someone like me only celebrating Chinese festivals and not celebrating others. It's fairly buffet-like in larger cities south of the border, too.

I can't imagine why the report wasn't released, unless of course it doesn't back up ANY of the numbers for the Stubway and Metrolinx. However, it appears they're cherry-picking from the report (that we're not allowed to see) to support the projects. So there is that.:rolleyes:

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...unded-transit-report-kept-secret-by-city.html
Maybe the report ranked the options and politicians felt it would be too confusing for voters.

More likely it contains detailed costing estimates that were either provided by third parties or could be used by third parties during a competitive bidding process.

In reality, we're a buffet. We pick and choose what traditions from the old country we carry on and what cultures we adopt. At least that is the case for those of us born/raised here. We pick up whatever we see in school. A "tossed salad" would be more like someone like me only celebrating Chinese festivals and not celebrating others. It's fairly buffet-like in larger cities south of the border, too.

Absolutely the best version of multiculturalism there is- though you lose some authenticity, it's incredibly useful in filtering out the less desirable old country elements (let's not deny that there aren't any) and helping unify the cultures through replacement shared traditions.

I would imagine that the majority of people in the country would really want just the music, food and festivals and discard everything else.

When you end up with parallel cultures that don't have enough commonalities to connect over, that's when you begin to see cultural clashes.

In related news (the BLM thread is closed):
Pride Toronto hires its first black female executive director

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ck-female-executive-director/article34081435/

Will she be conciliatory and rebuild connections across the board, or will Pride dissolve into a mess of virtue signalling and boutique activism?

Last edited:

Back