News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 396     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

I see this as a good move. These things rarely go perfectly, Tory had to keep his ammo dry. All in all, considering Tory had to watch his rear-view mirror as well as ahead, he moved at a good time.

Toronto needed to hear Tory say this.

Toronto doesn't need to hear more weasel words from Tory who still won't rule out using Kouvalis for his re-election.

Tory, however, told reporters on Friday that people “grossly overestimate the degree” to which he has dealings with Kouvalis, who he said he only speaks to “once and a while,” more so as a friend.

“This relationship that you all ask about is far more in your mind than it is reality,” he said.

You are the company you keep.

AoD

Toronto doesn't need to hear more weasel words from Tory who still won't rule out using Kouvalis for his re-election.
Believe me, there's times, given the opportunity, I would have expressed disdain to Tory's face....and that might still happen...but in reflection, Tory *appears to be* tacking an independent newer course. (A lot of that is by no choice to him, so many have now crossed him).

Today's TorStar:
By Jennifer PagliaroCity Hall reporter
Fri., Feb. 3, 2017
Mayor John Tory is refusing to rule out working with controversial campaign strategist Nick Kouvalis on his 2018 re-election campaign.

On Friday morning, just hours after Kouvalis resigned as campaign manger of Kellie Leitch’s Conservative party leadership bid following a week of controversy, Tory once again said he rejected Kouvalis’s recent statements but stopped short of denouncing the pollster.

“Prior to this decision by Mr. Kouvalis, I had clearly expressed to him my complete rejection of his actions in connection with the Leitch campaign,” Tory said in a statement emailed to reporters Friday morning.

“As for speculation about my future campaign team, let me be clear: I do not have a campaign team. I am forbidden by law from having one. My focus is on my job as mayor and I won't be making decisions about who will play roles in my campaign organization for many more months.”

Sources have told the Star that while the municipal campaign has yet to officially kick off, informal discussions with the mayor have been ongoing. On Thursday, sources said Kouvalis was also stepping away from Tory’s re-election campaign and that of British Colum‎bia Premier Christy Clark.

Tory reiterated Friday that his next campaign will employ people who “share my values, which include: inclusion and acceptance, honesty, fair play, decency and respect.”
https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...ut-future-work-with-friend-nick-kouvalis.html

I and many others are watching him closely. At this point in time, it's not so much his bumbling in the past, it's where he takes it from here....and at this point in time, he's the only one on the horizon with the cajones to do it, like it or not.

Maybe things will change, but I'm willing to give Tory a chance. And he'd best be on Keesmaat's good side too, another figurehead who is actually showing some real mettle.

You are the company you keep.

AoD
Ok whatever you say. If he (kouvalis) said those things on twitter (never read what he said but only heard one word) because he was drinking how does that make Tory the same as the company he keeps (kouvalis)

Ok whatever you say. If he (kouvalis) said those things on twitter (never read what he said but only heard one word) because he was drinking how does that make Tory the same as the company he keeps (kouvalis)

Except that the particular incident is basically an extension of his MO (and you really should read what he said before commenting - the one word is the least of the issue) - he himself said alcohol had nothing to do with it after the fact. That's what the company you keep I am referring to.

AoD

Populismn brings Dark Ages. The electorate is uninformed and wants to stay that way. This process is being accelerated each year as media and journalism is in severe decline and we have papers like the Toronto Sun which somehow survive by publishing tabloid articles and rants from people who are illiterate, sexist and everything in between.
Think more Roman Empire in a classical sense, "the mob" is millennia old.

They want a values-test, as the poll I quoted shows. Or this:

diversity-graphic.jpg

You are entitled to your opinion. I'm just saying it's not what most Canadians want.
"Fit in" is not the same as assimilation.

he himself said alcohol had nothing to do with it after the fact.
Whoa...that makes it even worse, not that being a drunken idiot gives an alibi for just being an idiot. I hadn't caught that in the press, so the inference is that it wasn't an exception to normal character....phhhhh....

"Fit in" is not the same as assimilation.
Honest question, why is assimilation such a dirty word?

I understand coming from a First Nation's perspective, but personally I am proud that my parents having both immigrated to Canada, have assimilated to Canadian society.

Assimilation should be the end-goal of immigration, ideally achieved by the second-generation. And, assimilation is IMO fully-compatible with multi-culturalism.

Back