News   Jul 22, 2024
 416     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 432     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 474     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

I suppose things were a bit better at my high school (this was in the mid-to-late 90s) - there were tons of girls from Hong Kong, but many were boarders and had at least rudimentary English. Their reading/writing skills were excellent, with most on the honour roll. They were dominant in certain courses (mostly STEM and business), while I was often the only Asian kid or one of two or three (max) in classes like drama and senior/OAC history. I don't know what it's like now, but I think classes are more diverse than they were back then. I suppose the types of families sending their kids abroad to boarding school (or day students at independent schools while living with relatives) are different from those who plop them in neighbourhood public schools - even though many families who very well CAN afford private school would rather spend their money on other things.

I don't think classes are more diverse now; they're just the opposite of what they used to be (predominantly white). Now white kids are the alienated ones.

And let's also remember that relatively speaking, the trend's probably in the other direction in the city core--again, reflecting neighbourhood demos. You don't find many young white (or "blended") hipster families in the Vic Park catchbasin these days.

So yes: a lot of this might be viewed through rose-coloured "this used to be my playground" glasses, i.e. reading "the school I went to" as representative of "schools" at large...

And let's also remember that relatively speaking, the trend's probably in the other direction in the city core--again, reflecting neighbourhood demos. You don't find many young white (or "blended") hipster families in the Vic Park catchbasin these days.

So yes: a lot of this might be viewed through rose-coloured "this used to be my playground" glasses, i.e. reading "the school I went to" as representative of "schools" at large...

And said minorities (who live in so-called "enclaves" outside of the "core") are more likely newcomers than those who've lived here all or most of their lives. We (my husband (who is NOT a visible minority) and I) live downtown in the Annex area and plan to stay here for the next little while - even when we have kids. Though one thing I'm worried about: Not sure if the "regular" public schools here are all that great. French immersion (or private school), I guess?

The area I live in is very diverse and the school my kids go to is "majority minority" so to speak. Now, go up to our cottage and that is beyond whitewashed!

This is far from being true.

Well, if you're at, say, Pacific Mall, then yes, it IS true. But that's Pacific Mall (which I don't go to very often. I SWEAR they have issues with Canadians of Chinese descent. In fact, I often stay away from Markham unless I'm with family).

Why is French immersion a better choice than the general public school ? I saw an ad on TV the other day extolling French immersion schooling as the better choice. I don't think anyone can argue against the benefit of knowing the both the official languages, and I've not heard what the " general " public school supporters have to say about this messaging.

Well, if you're at, say, Pacific Mall, then yes, it IS true. But that's Pacific Mall (which I don't go to very often. I SWEAR they have issues with Canadians of Chinese descent. In fact, I often stay away from Markham unless I'm with family).

Quite frankly, there is little of appeal in Pacific "Mall" anyways, unless you're shopping for a) Chinese dried goods and b) Cell phone cases. Even b) is a stretch.

Never noticed the issue with CBCs, maybe the store owners are worried about moles from Revenue Canada or Customs, given the often quasi-legal activities (e.g. bootleg DVDs)

AoD

Pacific Mall has issues with Chinese-Canadians? Don't they make up most of the clientele AND tenants?

Pacific Mall has issues with Chinese-Canadians? Don't they make up most of the clientele AND tenants?

Okay, fine. Non-new comers/immigrant Chinese Canadians. People like me - Jooksings/CBCs. Those who were born here or came here as young children (as in before Grade 3 or 4).

Half a dozen replies to my question and almost none much any policy (he was voted as the world's best mayor, he won in Conservative Calgary, he reached out to people, look at his Wikipedia page etc.)

I don't think lamenting "where's our Nenshi?" is very productive, personally.
In fairness, we in this forum aren't from Calgary.

I could tell you about what this mayor of Toronto did and what this other mayor of Toronto did, I could even tell you in vague terms what Hazel did in Mississauga or Fennel in Brampton. But I could not tell you what the mayors of other cities did and I expect the same could be said about others in this thread. I personally have never been to Calgary, and am unfamiliar with the problems, issues, transit and politics pervading that city. But I do know that Mayor Nenshi's reputation precedes himself and has garnered international recognition, probably for very good reason.

I have attended a presentation by Nenshi here in Toronto, and can personally attest to his energetic, engaging, educated, charismatic yet analytical character and can see how this translates to great political acumen and leadership. Beyond that, if you want actual concrete policy answer, you will have to ask Calgarians familiar with politics in Calgary. I suggest asking on the /r/Calgary subreddit page, or replying to the Mayor Naheed Nenshi's Calgary thread that I just created in the SkyriseCities Calgary section here.

You disagree with him on one issue and you write him off? Isn't that overly dramatic?

Aside from his defence of profiling (which amounted to little more than 'Black people are dangerous'), he's also very prejudiced towards Muslims.

Back