News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.8K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 603     1 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Premier Wynne, Mayor John Tory discuss the taxi industry amid new developments
Uber announces new $5 transit service between downtown Toronto and four under-serviced neighbourhoods
Those communities are Liberty Village, Fort York, CityPlace, and the Distillery District.
http://www.citynews.ca/2015/12/14/j...actical-for-toronto-to-try-to-shut-down-uber/

John Tory says it would be impractical for Toronto to try to shut down Uber
Mayor John Tory says it would be impractical for the city to try to shut down Uber, which is preparing to launch another ride-sharing service called uberHOP on Tuesday.

UberHop will be a rush-hour, carpool option that links some of Toronto’s busiest neighbourhoods to the downtown business district for a flat $5 fee.
[...]
Canada’s taxi industry launched a new app Monday called “The Ride” that offers passengers a more tech-savvy way to connect with local taxi cabs, but unlike Uber, it will add a $1 or $2 charge from your wireless provider.

http://www.citynews.ca/2015/12/14/j...actical-for-toronto-to-try-to-shut-down-uber/

Last edited:
HSBC is thinking about moving its headquarters to Canada
HSBC is thinking about moving its headquarters to Canada’s financial centre, Toronto, as it continues to consider leaving the UK.

Chairman Douglas Flint, along with other HSBC executives, held talks with senior city officials, including Toronto’s mayor John Tory, about a possible relocation in October, according to a report in the Times.
[...]
HSBC has consistently refused to comment on any move, saying that it will only talk about the potential relocation once it has made a final decision. That decision was originally expected late this year, but it is now widely believed that it will be announced alongside the bank’s full year results at the end of February 2016.
http://uk.businessinsider.com/hsbc-has-held-talks-about-moving-its-hq-to-toronto-2015-12

As for Barbara Hall, the worst you can say about her mayoralty is ... um ... look, what I liked about Hall was ... uh ... I got nothing. Bland and inoffensive. Not disaster, not a triumph either.

To those so inclined to judge, Barbara Hall was a "disaster" insofar as she was an "NDP Mayor" (yes, she was so affiliated in 1994). And she was actually a pretty solid policy mayor who probably would've been reelected in 1997 had it not been for Megacity--and the ghost of that likelihood was evident in her giving Mayor Mel more of a race than he bargained on that year.

Of course, Flagg could always point to John Sewell; but that's probably before his time and beneath his brainpower...

Toronto city budget watch: three recommendations
On December 15, Toronto’s staff recommended budget will go before city council, with spending estimates on both the capital and operating budget.

It will identify a gap between the services that city staff is recommending and the revenue currently available to pay for them.

The city manager has indicated that, unlike in other years, city staff will not recommend how to close the gap between expected revenues and expenditures. They will leave that to politicians, which will make for a fruitful and interesting budget discussion.
[...]
It is always important to look for ways to improve the delivery of public services. However, we have to remember that former Mayor Rob Ford’s quest for gravy bore little fruit. The core services review resulted in a confirmation that the vast majority of city services are either legally mandated or considered traditional services like parks and recreation.

There is one exception to note. The police budget continues to be the fastest growing cost for city services. The proposed budget from the 2016 Police Services Board will increase expenditures by 2.7 per cent bringing it up to a billion dollars. And, recent media reports suggest that there is room to increase efficiencies in the way policing is delivered.

Continued reliance on gapping — the term used for leaving city positions unfilled to balance the budget has got to stop. It was always a short-term measure and it means staff are not available to provide the city services that we rely on. The 2015 budget relied on gapping for $127 million in savings. The complexity of communities’ needs are increasing, requiring increasingly sophisticated services. These are impossible to deliver without sufficient staffing.
http://behindthenumbers.ca/2015/12/14/toronto-city-budget-watch-three-recommendations/

TTC launches legal review to see if Uber’s new shuttle service, uberHOP, infringes on its monopoly
Toronto Transit Commission called its lawyers Monday to figure out whether Uber’s new shuttle service threatens the TTC’s legally mandated monopoly in the city.
[...]
Shortly after the announcement, city officials were asking TTC staff if the new service violated the City of Toronto Act, which prohibits anyone other than the TTC from operating “a local transport system.” TTC lawyers will review the matter and report back.
[...]
“I’m not anti-Uber but my loyalty is to the TTC,” Byford said. “I thought it was kind of ironic that the head of the TTC should be sent an Uber invitation. … I can tell you now I will be continuing to use the 504 King streetcar.”

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...new-shuttle-service-infringes-on-its-monopoly

As for Barbara Hall, the worst you can say about her mayoralty is ... um ... look, what I liked about Hall was ... uh ... I got nothing. Bland and inoffensive. Not disaster, not a triumph either.

Two things I'll say that Barbara Hall did well: inclusiveness, especially for the city's LGBT communities, and the zoning policies that allowed for development of the King-Spadina and King-Parliament districts. But she was mostly a competent left-leaning mayor for only three years before amalgamation did her in. She spent the last year fighting Harris and the megacity.

What does anyone remember about right-leaning June Rowlands apart from trying to ban the Barenaked Ladies from playing at Nathan Phillips Square?

TTC launches legal review to see if Uber’s new shuttle service, uberHOP, infringes on its monopoly
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...new-shuttle-service-infringes-on-its-monopoly

“(The City of Toronto Act) is very specific,” TTC CEO Andy Byford said Monday. “The TTC and only the TTC can run mass transit in this city.”

How do they define 'mass transit' and how are things like the Porter shuttle, the old Pearson/hotel shuttle, the hospital buses, etc. able to operate?

“(The City of Toronto Act) is very specific,” TTC CEO Andy Byford said Monday. “The TTC and only the TTC can run mass transit in this city.”

How do they define 'mass transit' and how are things like the Porter shuttle, the old Pearson/hotel shuttle, the hospital buses, etc. able to operate?

The various shuttles do not charge a fee for transportation, it's included with another service. UberHop charges a fee for a fixed route transportation service. It's not an accompaniment to another service/product.

If UberHop was associated with group of bars (one for each neighbourhood) and transportation was free with the purchase of a drink, they'd get away with it.

I just asked in the taxi thread, but how mass transit is defined is a good question. Do 5 people in a car constitute mass transit? Or does it become mass because 5 people are in 10 cars, meaning 50 people are using the service?

I just asked in the taxi thread, but how mass transit is defined is a good question. Do 5 people in a car constitute mass transit? Or does it become mass because 5 people are in 10 cars, meaning 50 people are using the service?

I probably wouldn't use any quantity of people to define mass transit.

To me, mass transit is:

1) Fixed route and/or regularly scheduled service
2) Shared vehicle (vehicle may have 1 person capacity shared at different points of time).
3) Charge a fee strictly for transportation (no membership required, not included with purchase of a different service like a hotel room or flight ticket)

Dial-a-bus might throw a kink in #1 but I'm not sure I actually consider those mass transit; much closer to a subsidized city-run taxi service.

Last edited:
Someone also posted the actual law regarding TTC, and the word "mass" wasn't in there, so those semantics won't come into play anyway.

Back