News   Jun 26, 2024
 131     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Well, it appears that Billie/Ms Dunn (@billietoronto) is a good friend of John and Barbara, and a supporter of the former ... I don't think there's more to it than that.

B36PT9KCEAAOsPL.jpg
B0l1Ck9CQAA1DkJ.jpg
Bw5ALYHCMAAZlVT.jpg
BrG14-3CQAExunq.jpg

Kind of an odd choice of banner picture for her Twitter account, though ...

IMG_5439.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5439.JPG
    IMG_5439.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 309
Child-care costs highest in Toronto, lowest in Quebec:Report
The study by the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives tracks the price of child care across 27 Canadian cities and three age groups — infants, toddlers and preschoolers.

Child-care fees were highest in Toronto across the board, with parents facing median costs of more than a thousand dollars regardless of what age group their children fall in.

Quebec marks the other end of the spectrum, where government policies have capped child-care fees and set the median cost at $174 a month across all age groups.
[...]
"That appears to be the most effective way in Canada to reduce fees for middle class families," he said. "If you have a system in where it's just in essence decided without government, you end up with situations like Toronto."
http://www.haidagwaiiobserver.com/national/361429991.html

Bland but interesting piece, certainly more calm and productive compared to the last Ford years.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/12/13/john-tory-rates-his-first-year-as-mayor?platform=hootsuite

This article also leads to the inevitable humour:

His Worship John Liberal's Official Opposition
2 hrs ·
TORY, EVEN BY YOUR OWN STANDARDS, YOU FAIL! Ha ha check this out, J-Lib can't even name a single accomplishment of his own! "Saved reputation of city hall for L...ondon and Paris" (like they ever thought twice about it); "Addressed traffic" (not improved it, just "addressed it" LOL); "Gardiner Expressway" (took a vote and chose to spend billions of our money to set it up the way his developer crony wanted it); "SmartTrack" (still sitting on the same back-of-a-napkin it was dreamed up on).

At this rate, Tory's tenure will rank somewhere between David Miller and Barbara Hall on the disaster scale. LOL somehow he forgot to mention "Taxi riots" and "massive tax increases".

Bland but interesting piece, certainly more calm and productive compared to the last Ford years.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/12/13/john-tory-rates-his-first-year-as-mayor?platform=hootsuite

'Humour' ... I'm not particularly impressed by Tory either (I suspect he's not unlike Ford in having a lot of influencers, if not cronies, behind the scenes that he endeavours to please, just that they are more respectable and less criminal than Ford's), but it seems like a bit of a stretch to call them taxi riots. Also, 'massive tax increases' sounds just as hyperbolic as those huge cost savings that Ford claimed.

If David Miller was a disaster, lets bring on a whole lot more disasters!

Tory seems to be a place-holder; that's why I elected him and what he seems to have accomplished thus far. That said this micro-splitting of capital from operating on the property taxes could have some very interesting impacts if it became 2 fully independent lines.

Hopefully we get a chance to elect someone considering growth again with some urgency in a couple years.

Last edited:
If David Miller was a disaster, lets bring on a whole lot more disasters!

Tory seems to be a place-holder; that's why I elected him and what he seems to have accomplished thus far. That said this micro-splitting of capital from operating on the property taxes could have some very interesting impacts if it became 2 fully independent lines.

Hopefully we get a chance to elect someone considering growth again with some urgency in a couple years.

As for Barbara Hall, the worst you can say about her mayoralty is ... um ... look, what I liked about Hall was ... uh ... I got nothing. Bland and inoffensive. Not disaster, not a triumph either.

Back