• Screen shot 2015-12-08 at 2.25.10 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-12-08 at 2.25.10 PM.png
    265 KB · Views: 496
  • Screen shot 2015-12-08 at 6.10.46 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-12-08 at 6.10.46 PM.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:
Tory Urging Cabbies to Cancel Protest
Demonstrations are planned to cover north, south, east and west part of the city, and aims to eventually converge on Queen’s Park and end at City Hall.
http://www.newstalk770.com/syn/60/96967/tory-urging-cabbies-to-cancel-protest

Thousands of cabbies will converge on Queen’s Park Wednesday morning to protest the apparently illegal daily operation of Uber Taxi. It may make driving downtown a little difficult. As many as 2000 drivers from across the GTA are expected to meet at four points across Toronto and make their way to both Queen’s Park and City Hall. Drivers are demanding that politicians enforce city bylaws. The city is working on new rules that will reduce regulations for the taxi industry and introduce regulations for ride sharing services like Uber. That’s expected in next year some time but in the meantime the taxi industry is calling on city hall to enforce the current bylaw, which Mayor John Tory has said means that Uber is operating “outside of the law.” The protest will begin at 7:30 a.m. with drivers meeting at Yonge and Queen’s Quay, 427 and Rexdale Blvd, Victoria Park and Sheppard, and Yonge and Steeles. Drivers have been advised by the iTaxiworkers Association to keep moving and not deliberately slow traffic, but with so many extra vehicles in the already congested core, the demonstration is sure to have an impact on local traffic.
http://www.bayview-news.com/2015/12/as-many-as-2000-cabs-in-downtown-in-protest-wednesday.html/

Last edited:
Finally, he decided to do what was needed!
I remember when they approved .0.5% for scarborough subway to be added to our property tax bill and would go up each year to 1.7% and that amount would remain on property bill for 30 years. That added up to the amount the city needed for the subway. That increase in taxes is still on the property bill for 30 years. So its not the truth when tory has now the increase comes off in 2017 and another will go on. . Is he saying they raised the city portion of scarborough tax in 4 years? No more tax increase will be going towards scarborough subway which is true but its not like they are rolling back 1.7% in property tax and are saying in 2017 it will go up by say 0.4% but this time towards infrastructure

Sorry, but I don't think so.

Gord Perks on twitter:
- JohnTory has propose a 2.5 property% tax increase to be phased in between 2017-22 to pay for transit and housing capital costs
- Yesterday we had a dire presentation from the City Manager.
- Two things jumped out. He couldn't balance the 2016 operating budget within inflation and we have $20B + in unfunded capital
- The Mayor's announcement does not address either of these problems.
- In his remarks the Mayor was very specific that the extra tax will not be applied to operating shortfalls. It will be for capital only.
- The Mayor reiterated that he will use efficiencies to balance future budget. During last year's budget he promised to do that this year. The City Manager told us yesterday that this hope had failed
- Further the Mayor himself keeps adding operating spending in Transit, Policing, and Poverty reduction. He didn't pay for that today.
- The tax is for housing and transit capital. I'm happy he finally agrees that we can't just wait for Feds and Province on housing repairs.
- BUT today's proposal won't cut it. Our capital need is over $20 Billion, $65M would carry and retire only 1/20th or 5% of that amount.
- We still have two conversations to have. A) Which do people want fewer services or higher taxes? There is no third option. And B) when will we join other large world Cities and use a full suite of revenue tools? The only way to build needed new infrastructure
kill the scarborough subway or somehow roll it into the SmartTrack Tory wants and won't get chopped. A decision needs to be made and I guess we will have the answer early in 2016

So, who else never wants to take a cab again after the nonsense they are pulling today? I will have to look into Uber.

So, who else never wants to take a cab again after the nonsense they are pulling today? I will have to look into Uber.
I'm just glad that taxis aren't protesting on Eglinton.

My 5 minute bus ride was 15 minutes already with the construction. If the taxis wanted to do serious damage, they could have very easily blocked the one lane on Eglinton East at the moment....

Back