News   May 23, 2024
 302     0 
News   May 23, 2024
 524     0 
News   May 22, 2024
 1.1K     1 

M1 + M2 + Metropolis + Parkside Condos (Liberty Development) - Real Estate -

Have been hearing periodic, very loud bangs coming from the walls at night for the past few nights. I know that there's always concerns for pipes in these really cold times and especially since there was that whole by-law thing this past fall bringing up the potential issue, it has me worried. I just called management to report it, but all I can do now is keep an eye/ear out for it. Kitty said that since this unit is in one of the upper floors, it could be noise from the roof and to report it again if it keeps happening.

The loudest bangs seem to be coming from the pipes behind my washing machine unit so I turned off the water valve when I'm not using it - but I also hear numerous bangs in the distance coming from other units on my floor or just above. This is the first time in 3+ years I've heard this... and I know we've had fairly mild winters till now, so maybe it's not really surprising now that the temperatures really dip at night... anyone else hearing these noises, or have lived in condos previously with pipe issues in the winter?

Have been hearing periodic, very loud bangs coming from the walls at night for the past few nights. I know that there's always concerns for pipes in these really cold times and especially since there was that whole by-law thing this past fall bringing up the potential issue, it has me worried. I just called management to report it, but all I can do now is keep an eye/ear out for it. Kitty said that since this unit is in one of the upper floors, it could be noise from the roof and to report it again if it keeps happening.

The loudest bangs seem to be coming from the pipes behind my washing machine unit so I turned off the water valve when I'm not using it - but I also hear numerous bangs in the distance coming from other units on my floor or just above. This is the first time in 3+ years I've heard this... and I know we've had fairly mild winters till now, so maybe it's not really surprising now that the temperatures really dip at night... anyone else hearing these noises, or have lived in condos previously with pipe issues in the winter?

I hear these very loud bangs also. It sounds as if someone living above me is dropping a bowling ball onto the floor. I also live on an upper floor in the building.

I have been hearing these bangs as well in the night. I am on the 3rd floor in M2. It sounds like it is coming from pipes in the wall. Two nights ago it was so loud I jumped up from my bed in my sleep I thought my ceiling was going to cave in.

Very cool article. I wonder if this is what we're hearing - though, I'm definitely hearing the bangs coming from the inside walls rather than from outside...

When I turned my water valve leading to the washing machine off yesterday, surprisingly that seemed to have done the trick as I didn't hear anything from my own unit last night (though I did hear several bangs from down the hall and below me)...

Hopefully it's just a harmless thing that happens under extreme cold temps (supposedly which we'll be relieved from - for now - as of tonight)

Last edited:
Loud Nightime Bangs

It went on again last night, louder and more frequently . I doubt that it is frost quakes because one can hear that it is definitely coming from inside the building . It is coming from all directions . Did Kitty down in Property Management ever get back to anyone about what is causing it ? It sounds as if someone is dropping a bowling ball on the floor, maybe someone has a bowling alley in one of the units ?

It went on again last night, louder and more frequently . I doubt that it is frost quakes because one can hear that it is definitely coming from inside the building . It is coming from all directions . Did Kitty down in Property Management ever get back to anyone about what is causing it ? It sounds as if someone is dropping a bowling ball on the floor, maybe someone has a bowling alley in one of the units ?

It definitely has to do with the cold! I heard it so much last night at all hours! Totally worrisome as I hope it has nothing to do with plumbing and the pipes.

I spoke to her today and she blamed it on the "frost quakes". She said the bangs are just the building expanding and contracting due to the drastic temperature changes and that it is not the pipes and there is no cause for concern. I am a little skeptical but I don't have much knowledge of commercial buildings or their architecture.

I spoke to her today and she blamed it on the "frost quakes". She said the bangs are just the building expanding and contracting due to the drastic temperature changes and that it is not the pipes and there is no cause for concern. I am a little skeptical but I don't have much knowledge of commercial buildings or their architecture.

Frost quakes are underground but these bangs sound as if they are up here . Only a structural engineer would be able to advise us if this "expanding and contracting" is doing any damage to the building. Someone should get in touch with Lillian Chin our Board President about this issue.

LOL there's a posting in the elevator about these frost quakes.. They were pretty loud last night but nothing so far tonight

The reason the noise sounds like it is coming from above you is because the immense energy being created by the frost quake goes travels upwards, from the ground below the building, into the building's foundation and travels up at a tremendous speed. You hear the noise above you because it travels so fast you only hear it once it has passed you, hence why on high floors and low floors alike it sounds like it is coming from above.

Hi, does anyone know who should I contact if I want to complain management office of M3 &M4? My lock was broken (the key was inside the lock and broke into half) and therefore my door cannot be locked. I called magement office a month ago and she asked me to send her e-mail to arrange replacing/ repairing main entrance door (this was based on her wording over the phone). Nothing happen!! and I called today and she said the e-mail I sent was used to let them know Citywide will come to fix the lock but I needed to arrange myself. I don't even know the contact phone of Citywide (company which installed locks in Metro Place). Does anyone can help? Thanks

Back