News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

M1 + M2 + Metropolis + Parkside Condos (Liberty Development) - Real Estate -

Hey GP, I'm on the 6th floor of M1, been there for about 3 weeks now. Yes the first two weeks we noticed that the AC was not bringing the room temp down to what we set it at. We were especially having problems on weeknights. My wife spoke to the spoke to the super, and he said something about the AC unit on the roof of the building being high efficiency, and it sometimes turns itself off. The last week or so it's been working better, only a few times have I noticed that it hasn't been working well. I think as more and more people move in and use their A/Cs, it will work better.

I'm on the 6th floor in M1 as wel,l we're neighbors :). I have been here for about a month now and at first I also noticed that the AC wasn't so great, the curtains really help a lot and keeping your doors all open help the circulation. It seems to be doing a lot better now. :cool:

Last edited:
Hey All- So my fiancee went for our PDI today and said that our place was in pretty good condition. Only a few issues with paint but nothing big like someone had mentioned on here. There was a bottle cap stuck under the carpet too lol.

She told me that she was told if we are changing any fixtures we must keep the invoice as it can void our warranty if we do not use an electrician and there are electrical problems. I was king of surprised as it is very easy to put in a fixture when the wiring is already there. I was wondering if anyone else was told this.

Hey All- So my fiancee went for our PDI today and said that our place was in pretty good condition. Only a few issues with paint but nothing big like someone had mentioned on here. There was a bottle cap stuck under the carpet too lol.

She told me that she was told if we are changing any fixtures we must keep the invoice as it can void our warranty if we do not use an electrician and there are electrical problems. I was king of surprised as it is very easy to put in a fixture when the wiring is already there. I was wondering if anyone else was told this.

I was told the same thing but we had the super at our place cause our fridge wasn't working and he told us that it was stupid and to just change it anyways.

I donno if I'm going to listen to him cause I don't want to void any warranties. It really sucks cause I work at a lighting company and I change lights all the time. It's a pretty silly rule.

neongoddess - so tell us more about this lighting company and the deals you wanna kick us, your neighbors... :p

is anyone here a plumber? I wonder if the same is true for replacing faucets/shower heads...

I'm an electrician (I don't live in your building, sorry) and there's some confusion about this kinda of stuff. Once upon a time, not that long ago home owners were allowed to do all their own electrical work as long as it was inspected. Otherwise it's to be done by a licensed electrician. I was reading the ESA website and it still reads to me like it's still OK for home owners to do their own work which is contrary to everything I've been told for the last few years. Technically everytime you break 2 wires it's supposed to be inspected. But I know there was a rule change a couple of years ago that allowed for basic alterations to be made without inspections as long as it's done by someone licensed. Changing a light fixture would fall under that. My best advice would be to contact ESA and ask for their take on it.
www.esasafe.com

I just had my PDI yesterday....everything's looking pretty good....not a fan of the ugly towel bar and toilet paper holder (didn't know I could ask them not to be installed! Ugh!)

Anyhow a question for those who have already moved in:

I was wondering if anyone had any issues with paying the lawyers via a Bank Draft as opposed to an actual certified cheque?

Many Thanks in advance!

4 more days 'til I move in! Yay! :)

I just had my PDI yesterday....everything's looking pretty good....not a fan of the ugly towel bar and toilet paper holder (didn't know I could ask them not to be installed! Ugh!)

Anyhow a question for those who have already moved in:

I was wondering if anyone had any issues with paying the lawyers via a Bank Draft as opposed to an actual certified cheque?

Many Thanks in advance!

4 more days 'til I move in! Yay! :)

Had the same question. Asked my lawyer and bank draft was fine. The builder accepted it no problem so you should be good but maybe just check with your lawyer first.

Thanks GPalltheway! My lawyer did specify in telling me to get the certified cheque, however, if yours were accepted by the builder I'm guessing mine will be too.

Thanks GPalltheway! My lawyer did specify in telling me to get the certified cheque, however, if yours were accepted by the builder I'm guessing mine will be too.

In most cases Lawyers wont know the difference. go with a draft even if they tell you otherwise as drafts are cheaper.

I was told the same thing but we had the super at our place cause our fridge wasn't working and he told us that it was stupid and to just change it anyways.

I donno if I'm going to listen to him cause I don't want to void any warranties. It really sucks cause I work at a lighting company and I change lights all the time. It's a pretty silly rule.

I was told the same, attempted to install my own, but there where too many wires. not the same wiring system like in a house. I got an electrician to do all of mine!! I wish you posted this earlier, got all my fixtures at Canadian tire and Ikea. For those looking, I saw a couple of fixtures on sale for over 50% off at homedepot.

Had my PDI yesterday:

1) Take your time, the rep gives you a window of an hour and half, dont be rushed, I went a bit over and he already had his shoes on ready to go, so I made him wait. I walked around prior to the PDI and made him stand there, gathered my thoughts, and did the same after the PDI - I know he thought I was a bit anal.
2) Hardwood was installed very well, with minor dents in some places - he insisted that you need to check with a 1.5metre distance, but I got on my knees and inspected throughly.
3) Check your tiling well, especially the corners, some tiles were cut incorrectly resulting in gaps at the edges.
4) Walls were done well, biggest issues was touchups were not painted over, but take your time and put your head against the walls to see where they did not do a second coat. I had some areas where the primer was showing.
5) Bring a phone charger to make sure all outlets are spitting out voltage.
6) Kitchen cabinetry, open them one by one to check hinges are installed correctly, I had one where it was scrapping against the panel, just stand there and swing them back and forth and see if youre happy with it. As well, check all pieces are installed correctly inside, I had a couple issues where the screws were not tightened leaving gaps.
7) Window sills were exeptionally dirty and needed the most touchs up, take your time with that.
8) Adjust the temp, AC unit, as you would normally.
9) Washer/Dryer, there alot of issues that could come up in the area, so take your time
10) Check grout work carefully throughout.
11) Shut off valve for the water is located under the sink in the bathroom, try it out and make sure all is well.
12) Biggest annoyance for me was the toilet paper, towel rack and soap holder were installed - I clearly stated during the upgrade session these are not to be put in, so I am making them remove them and clean up. Same goes for the cabinet handles, the tradesman started to drill holes and reread the work and saw that no handles were to be put it, so I am making them replace the faces on the cabinets.
13) Did anyone notice the short ceiling height of the bathroom? This is a biggest disappointed - I expected 8 foot ceilings due to the 9 feet through the unit.
14) The rep did not write everything down when we were pointing them out - keep a tab of things so when you review them, nothing is missed.
15) Balcony looked very rough
16) Surprised of how clean it was - a few people here said it was dusty, but I found it quite the opposite.
17) Check for spider cracks, chips etc on all windows.

Pictures to follow - 24 hours to go!

Thanks Joe for your PDI run-down list. Glad to hear there was no real major problems.

Though I am disappointed to hear about the low ceilings in the bathroom - I also have 9ft ceilings... you'd think they'd have at least 8 in there. I wonder why?

Looking forward to the pics! Good luck with your actual move-in!

Back