How do you feel about Ford

• Love Ford

Votes: 18 12.8%
  • Hate Ford

Votes: 113 80.1%
  • Too soon to tell

Votes: 10 7.1%

• Total voters
Really? He hasn't made any big mistakes?

Because cancelling 2 fully provincially funded LRT lines to be replaced with nothing was only a small mistake?

He also reduced revenue sources by cancelling the vehicle registration tax. Now he's screaming Toronto is short of revenue.

He also forced the TTC commissioners to cut bus service, despite his promise not to cut services.

Love and hate are strong words. I don't know if I would get along with Rob Ford at all but George Bush Jr seemed like a nice guy. His policies and agenda sucked though. Rob Ford thinks in too simplistic terms and as such he will never be effective at accomplishing anything useful. I get the feeling most of the plans Ford and people like him come up with are along the lines of: "we should save money by having everyone do Z", they don't have anything against population Y that can't do Z, their plans are just so rudimentary that huge populations fall through the cracks. There is nothing wrong with saving money, the problem is not doing enough analysis to understand the value of what is being paid for before cutting it. Simplistic thinking gives you lines like "if it ain't broke don't fix it" which rules out preventative maintenance leading to more expensive eventual repairs. Everything is so underplanned that you bounce around fixing the resulting catastrophes of one decision to the next. We need people who think in office and that is my problem with people like Ford, Bush, and Palin. They believe in some basic ideas of what government is and should be, but they don't think deep enough to realize what that even means. It is like trying to explain to the religious right that the concept of religious right doesn't make any sense... who would describe Jesus as right wing?

He also reduced revenue sources by cancelling the vehicle registration tax. Now he's screaming Toronto is short of revenue.

To be fair, it was an election promise to cut the vehicle registration tax $65M in revenue. And he's consistently said we don't have a revenue problem we have a spending problem. You can either spend within your means or raise taxes. There's no other option. I don't think the city is allowed to run a deficit like the province and feds are. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The way I see it, if he has to cut programs it's because someone else started those programs even though there was no money to pay for it. You can't spend money you don't have. Unless you want to raise taxes. And some people are more than happy to pay more taxes. That's fine too I guess.

He also forced the TTC commissioners to cut bus service, despite his promise not to cut services.
To be fair though ... the money from that is being used on the service increases they've announced for 2 weeks from now. And they did increase funding to TTC for 2011. Mistake .... perhaps. Big mistake ... let's save that for the big ones ...

... like the big mistake to reduce tax revenue by $65 million a year by letting cars go tax-free, and forego an inflationary increase to residential tax, which what ... forgeos about $225 million through 2012. That's $355 million total that could have helped the 2012 budget. Along with the 2011 surplus which people are talking about $200 million, and another $100 million that can be found for 2012 by realistically projecting tax revenue (which is a big reason we have these huge surpluses every year), we'd be at about $650 million extra in 2010 ... with the $770 million deficit. Toss in a 25-cent faire increase for TTC for 2011 and 2012, and we'd be looking at a deficit of .... $20 million instead of $770 million.

Now that's a big mistake!

Last edited:
It's curious that he would go to McGuinty and tell the Premier that provincial money was tied to federal money. Turns out it's not and McGuinty can give him nothing and result in consequences. Did Ford not prepare for the meeting?

I don't find it curious at all. It fits the pattern. He's not known for checking the facts.

with Jack Layton, you may have disagreed with him on many points, but in the end you would still be friends with him. With Rob Ford, you may have disagreed with him on many points, but you also end up blacklisted with him.

with Jack Layton, you may have disagreed with him on many points, but in the end you would still be friends with him.
Ditto with David Miller. (For him to have someone like David Soknacki as second-in-command would be like Rob Ford having someone like, I dunno, one of the Joshes as second-in-command.)

David Miller personally cost me $7,000 in land transfer tax when I moved 5 kilometres from High Park to Downtown. Had I moved a few years earlier I would have saved $7,000. Also, he made us suffer through a long stinky garbage strike only to totally give in to all the union demands in the end. That's why I don't like David Miller. I dunno, maybe he did some wonderful things with all my money that I'm just not aware of.

Last edited:
David Miller personally cost me $7,000 in land transfer tax when I moved 5 kilometre from High Park to Downtown. Had I moved a few years earlier I would have saved $7,000. Also, he made us suffer through a long stinky garbage strike only to totally give in to all the union demands in the end. This is why I do not like David Miller. I dunno, maybe he did some wonderful thing with all my money that I'm just not aware of.

The only thing Miller did that I like was getting the ball rolling on the waterfront revitalization. If Ford can put an end to the union epidemic that has been plaguing this city for years then his tenure as mayor will be well worth it. One thing Ford has that Miller doesn't is guts, literally.

David Miller personally cost me $7,000 in land transfer tax when I moved 5 kilometre from High Park to Downtown. Had I moved a few years earlier I would have saved $7,000. Also, he made us suffer through a long stinky garbage strike only to totally give in to all the union demands in the end. This is why I do not like David Miller. I dunno, maybe he did some wonderful thing with all my money that I'm just not aware of.

The day after you moved, I saw Miller lighting a cigar with a $7,000 bill... coincidence?

with Jack Layton, you may have disagreed with him on many points, but in the end you would still be friends with him.
Ditto with David Miller. (For him to have someone like David Soknacki as second-in-command would be like Rob Ford having someone like, I dunno, one of the Joshes as second-in-command.)

I wouldn't put Miller in the same boat as Layton. Miller seems very cold to me at times and comes off as a snob. I never thought of Jack in this way. He was always very warm and cheerful, when he wasn't ripping into Harper, and seemed like the type of guy you could share a sparkling asparagus cider with, while watching the Leafs blow a 5-0 third period lead.

One thing Ford has that Miller doesn't is guts, literally.

I doubt so. Why didn't he stand up to the police union instead of giving them that pay increase? Why doesn't he try to address his opponents, instead relying on his brother to act as a spokesperson?

“I know the questions you’re going to ask me… so I’ll answer your questions before you ask about what we talked about.”

– Mayor Rob Ford addressing the press after meeting with Premier Dalton McGuinty and requesting $650-million in transit funding.

If anything, it's his supporters (Doug, Minnan-Wong, Del Grande, Nunziata, etc.) who have guts. They're the ones actually making things happen.

One thing Ford has that Miller doesn't is guts, literally.
That's why the man is so terrified of the public that he won't even take a subway any more ... and yet Miller was frequently seen on Transit during the worst times of his mayoralty ... and still is.

Ford is completely gutless.

The only worse form of humanity I can imagine, is someone who such a piece of work, that they highjack a memorial thread!

Last edited:

Back