How do you feel about Ford

• Love Ford

Votes: 18 12.8%
  • Hate Ford

Votes: 113 80.1%
  • Too soon to tell

Votes: 10 7.1%

• Total voters
I know you're baiting me, but what the heck... I hated Mel WAY more than I hate Ford so far. I thought Hall was WAY more of an idiot than I think of Ford so far. The guy's only had 6 months to build up my opprobium, yet he's done a fabulous job... so far. And, yes, when I self-deprecatingly refer to my 'skylight', I give permission to my daughters to make fun of my bald spot. When Fat Boy refers to his obesity, he opens the door. And, Nads, when you try to defend Ford on the 'we shouldn't make fun of public figures even if they're deliberately divisive' front, you make me worry slightly about your... balance. Are you feeling OK today? Taken your meds? Need me to get you something to fend off the spiders on your skin?

People are allowed to be self deprecating but that doesn't make it any more right for others to take that opportunity to chime in. They aren't Rob Ford. And it's just childish to look for a reason to poke fun at his appearance. Why is that even necessary and how is it effective? It just makes the miserable feel better. I'm not defending Rob on his policies, because I don't agree with all of them. I'm defending the physical man. Those that made fun of Miller and other past mayors were in the wrong as well. So what if he's divisive? Criticize his politics then. I guess because he didn't attend any of the pride events that means it's acceptable to put a bounty on his head and scorn him with petty comments?

That seems unlikely. Miller hasn't spoken about the issue. Lastman has said he received many threats - and earlier in his mayoralty than Ford. These threats tend to come from those who are mentally unstable.

It seems implausible that there were lots of threats to Lastman, none for 7 years under Miller, and now again under Ford.

A more likely scenario, is that Miller (and Lastman) didn't grandstand about the issue.

What on earth are you talking about? What's with the unwarranted personal attack. Your a new member here ... I haven't done anything to provoke you on this.

What is that supposed to mean? I've not made any comments about Ford's bigotry since long before you joined the forum. And I don't think I've ever commented on McDonalds. Given that in your recent contributions to other threads, you've made unnecessary sexist comments ... I really have to wonder what your motives here are.

What does this sudden and unwarranted personal attack on me have to do with this thread? It sounds like you are agreeing with the same position I put forth in this thread.

I'm not attacking you. I've lurked on the forums for years and I've read your comments. You are an intolerant person. I'll provide example of this. Those that believe in traditional marriage, in your own words, are bigots. You also mentioned that anyone that supported Ford and voted for him is a bigot. In other words you dislike Ford's followers. That is pretty intolerant.

What sexist comments? Show me. I know you haven't talked about McDonald's. I was just making a quip about your obsession with the concept of bigotry.

You're the same person.
Rather an odd comment, as you clearly are another user as well. What is/was your previous User name?

I was just making a quip about your obsession with the concept of bigotry.
Your the only one here obsessed with bigotry. I don't think that it's been even mentioned in the entire thread!

Given that I agree with you about hating politicians, why are you attacking me personally? This seems to violate the forum rules.

Rather an odd comment, as you clearly are another user as well. What is/was your previous User name?

I was talking to Doug. And I meant they are the same person in terms of their smugness. Not literally the same person. I told you, I was a lurker, and before that a vagabond.

Your the only one here obsessed with bigotry. I don't think that it's been even mentioned in the entire thread!

Given that I agree with you about hating politicians, why are you attacking me personally? This seems to violate the forum rules.

How am I attacking you exactly? I haven't called you any names or threatened you. I just used you as an example of someone who isn't tolerant, but votes left of centre. The fact is, you aren't tolerant. That's all I'm saying. And others have addressed your over use of labeling people you disagree with as bigots, in other threads. I'm not questioning any other aspect of your life. You think Ford's supporters are bigots, no? Hence, you are intolerant of them. That's all I'm trying to say, nothing more.

Last edited:
They may be viable in your eyes, but certainly none of them were marketable and appealing to all sides of the population.
Well then how do you account for a 53% voter turnout compared to 39% in '06 and 38% in '03? Seems to me the market was very receptive to what was being marketed. Don't we want that in elections?

And where is it written that candidates are required to be marketable to "all" sides? Who has ever met that standard? Who would want to? Sounds like a recipe for mass boredom to me.

But neither of those calls to the Province were preceeded by a slash and burn approach to revenue streams. Lastman did it because the City had just amalgamated and there were a lot of pains in terms of combining departments and services, which required additional funding. Miller did it because he was campaigning for additional revenue streams from the Province.
I'm not saying McGuinty will or has to ante up, but Ford is smart (yeah I said it!) for sounding out the Premier before the election. McGuinty is way too vulnerable to publicly question the sensibility of Ford's approach to Toronto's finances.

And where is it written that candidates are required to be marketable to "all" sides? Who has ever met that standard? Who would want to? Sounds like a recipe for mass boredom to me.

I never said that they are required to be so- just that Pantalone and Ford appealed to their segments of the population and Smitherman somewhere in between.

And boredom? Please, tell that to the Tories who ruled from, 1943 to 1985. They understood that a successful province needed to encompass all sides, and so they did. They built up our social programs and made huge investments in our infrastructure, something that conservatives today seem to loathe.

And boredom? Please, tell that to the Tories who ruled from, 1943 to 1985. They understood that a successful province needed to encompass all sides, and so they did. They built up our social programs and made huge investments in our infrastructure, something that conservatives today seem to loathe.
Tell that to George W Bush. He increased entitlement spending faster than any U.S President.

The demographic situation in Ontario that contributed greatly to the Tory success of 43-85 is gone forever. And I wouldn't exactly call 42 straight years of rule by one party the healthiest sign of democracy.

You still fail to address the fact that voter turnout soared last year. Seems to me the public interest is served when that happens.

My vote last year was cast in opposition of a candidate (guess which one!). I voted for the lesser of 2 evils. I suspect I was not alone in this.

Back