News   Mar 28, 2024
 500     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 401     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 743     0 

Live Theatre in Toronto

The Fantasticks-Soulpepper Theatre

"The Fantasticks", a little musical with a very long history, features a cast of eight Soulpepper stalwarts, Albert Schutlz, the founding director, being the leader of the pack. It's a deceptively simple story; two fathers, a son, a daughter, and a wall, try to navigate life, love and what the hell is really important. Funny and touching. "Try to Remember" being the most famous song in the show. The first act is about boy and girl getting together around the wall their fathers built between them, not to keep them apart, but to encourage them to marry. The contrariness of children! The second act is what happens when they do get together. Now what?

It's too bad that the actors, none of them with very strong singing voices, had to battle a very good, very LOUD piano accompaniment. Even the harp was LOUD. The harp! Apart from that, I enjoyed it a lot.

http://www.soulpepper.ca/performances/11_season/the_fantasticks.aspx

2 acts

More Fine Girls-Tarragon Theatre

"Jayne, Jojo and Jelly get together ten years after the party that drove them apart. This time, the sisters go into the basement. They convene for a family crisis, and share an overwhelming need to be together again. It is an intimate and comic look at sisters and the surprising truths of middle age."

That's Tarragon Theatre's summary of "More Fine Girls", a new play, written by Anne-Marie MacDonald, Jennifer Brewin, Leah Cherniak, Alisa Palmer and Martha Ross. I've not been to a preview this raw in a long time; scenes and words were being added, a new actor( Severn Thompson) had just joined the cast ( Martha Ross and Ann-Marie MacDonald) so there were scripts in hand on stage. And what a charming, funny play this is, even in its state of "becoming". Once they lock the script, get comfortable with the blocking, and dial-down the hysteria a bit, this is going to be good. As it was, watching something take shape was a fascinating experience.

http://www.tarragontheatre.com/season/1011/morefinegirls/

opens March 2
one act, no intermission.

Saint Carmen of The Main-Canadian Stage Company

I went to see Saint Carmen of The Main with some trepidation;it got bad reviews and has no intermission to allow for escape. I'm glad I did go.

The play, written by Michel Tremblay, translated by Linda Gaboriau, is set in 1970's Montreal, in the run-down, sleazy area known as The Main. Carmen, the saint of the title, has just returned from Nashville, where she has been perfecting her country and western singing style; her "yodel" as it were. The hookers, drunks and drug addicts, welcome her with open arms and more than a little awe; she got out. She's a success. But something happened on the way to Nashville; Carmen has found her voice, and wants to use it to sing about the people she knows, to wake them from their misery.

Allusions to Greek tragedy abound; there's a chorus made up of the hookers, drunks and drug addicts that alternate between characters delivering what is more often then not, a monologue. And what characters they are! Hairlip (Diane D'Aquila), Carmen's lesbian dresser, Gloria (Jackie Richardson) Carmen's one-time mentor, now an enemy, Rose Beef (Karen Robinson), Maurice (Jean Leclerc) manager, boyfriend, bastard;there are nineteen actors in the cast. It can't be a coincidence that Carmen looks more like Lady Gaga than Dolly Parton; the damaged, misfits of The Main are her "little monsters" and she is going to give them voice, hope. She tells them they're beautiful. What they feel is beautiful. But, this is a tragedy, and maybe the only "saints" we can appreciate (or endure) are dead ones.

Very slick, stylized costumes and set; the chorus does sometimes gets too "chorusy" but, man, this didn't deserve the drubbing it got in the papers. I loved it.

Ends March 5

one act, no intermission

http://www.canadianstage.com/saintcarmen

Post Script: On my way to the theatre, I was caught up in a crowd; Some were going to the hockey game at the Air Canada Centre, some were going to see "Swan Lake" at the Sony Centre, and some were going to see the play. Across the street from the theatre there was a crew on a movie shoot. A Toronto Moment; so many different things to see and do!

Last edited:
Globe (& Mail) Recognition sent me an offer for free Barrymore tickets for this Friday night. Performance and audience will be filmed for future television broadcast. As i did not need to log in to my Recognition account it should be good for anyone.

http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?llr=wvbosudab&oeidk=a07e3hybnw69a5d771c

BE OUR GUEST FOR BARRYMORE: The Motion Picture Event

FREE TICKETS TO THE PERFORMANCE FILMING
FRIDAY, MARCH 11 – 7:00 P.M.
Elgin Theatre, Toronto

The Globe and Mail invites you to be in the audience this Friday evening, March 11th when Christopher Plummer’s tour de force performance as "Barrymore" is filmed for the motion picture adaptation planned for release this fall. This is an unprecedented opportunity to be part of film and theatre history--and best of all, your tickets for this performance are complimentary!

As our own theatre critic, J. Kelly Nestruck declared, “Christopher Plummer delivers on his characteristic, charismatic mix of wit and bravado. With watery eyes and glistening lip he gives a staggering comic performance. The audience instantly reacted with a thunderous ovation.â€

Join us for this dazzling evening. But hurry! You must act now to guarantee your tickets. Seating is general admission and tickets will be provided on a first-come, first-served basis. This offer is good one or two tickets and will end once theatre capacity is reached. Click on the link below and follow the simple prompts to order your tickets. Once the reservation form has been completed, you will need to print up your ticket/s and present it at the door for admission.

If you missed seeing Christopher Plummer in “Barrymore†during its limited theatrical run of only 30 performances, you have one last chance to see the master at work. His performance will now be captured for all time, and you can say, “I was there!â€

* Seating is general admission
* Tickets will be provided on a first-come, first-served basis and is limited to theatre capacity.
* Good for one (1) or two (2) tickets per order.
* Cameras will be positioned at various locations in the auditorium.

Thanks for posting the link. I managed to score some tickets and ended up in box seats, almost arm's-length away from Plummer's amazing performance.

National Ballet on Groupon

$40 for One Ticket to Performance of "Onegin" by the National Ballet of Canada on March 19 2pm (Up to $171.20 Value)

$40, you get one ticket (up to a $171.20 value) to see the National Ballet of Canada perform Onegin on March 19, at 2 p.m. at the Four Seasons Centre. Tickets will be assigned on a first-come, first-served basis and are available in the Orchestra level, Ring 3, and Ring 4.

Available to purchase until tomorrow or sold out.

http://www.groupon.com/r/uu1834278

Link without my referral:
http://www.groupon.com/greater-toronto-area/

That was an excellent promotion ^^^. They sold out quite quickly. I got my groupon and redeemed for tickets today; the box office phone was busy!

The Secret Garden - Royal Alexandra Theatre

I didn't know that Carly Simon's sister wrote the music for The Secret Garden. Frankly, I didn't know much about this musical at all, but I did watch a film adaptation of the book the other night. I fast-forwarded through the whole thing.

The set is interesting, and moves about quite a bit: mansion, garden, bedrooms, library... really quite good. The little girl sitting in front of me loved the show. The man sitting next to me fell asleep and left after the first act. I just wished I had my remote control. I really like remote controls.

That being said, the packed theatre disagreed with me and gave them a standing ovation at the end.

I really liked the set.

Closes on March 19. Two acts, one intermission.

http://www.mirvish.com/shows/thesecretgarden

Last edited:
Interesting. Don't you find that standing o's are given just a little too gratuitously these days? People seem to feel obligated.

Interesting. Don't you find that standing o's are given just a little too gratuitously these days? People seem to feel obligated.

Sometimes, like last night, I'm grateful for them; the seating at The Royal Alex wreaks havoc on my back and legs. It was a relief to stand up... and I was grateful I still could!

?
SC_Thomas_RobFord_fin.jpg

Back