News   May 10, 2024
 342     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 381     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 752     0 

Licenses and plates may loom for Toronto cyclists

Pure pork - the amount of work and money required to set up and administer such a system is disproportionate to the supposed benefit. Enforce the existing laws instead - and speaking of that, perhaps Nunizata should focus on the issue of driving using cellphones instead.

AoD

Terrible idea, but the cyclist union needs to be less militant about being treated as a 'vehicle' and have similiar rights. Their monthly/weekly traffic 'stalls' does not help their cause. Case and point, licencing.

The City of Toronto has looked at bicycle licensing at least THREE TIMES since the 1980s and each time staff comes back saying the same thing: it costs a lot; it's difficult to enforce; and it discourages would-be cyclists.

Every person who leaves their car at home and uses active transportation to get around is a net saving to the city.

The City even has a section on their website that explains why licensing is essentially impossible: http://www.toronto.ca/cycling/safety/licensing/history.htm

I would love to see increased enforcement for all forms of travel, because for the most part, the only enforcement of bad cyclist behaviours are fish-in-barrel blitzes at places like the four-way stop at Beverley and Baldwin. I see lots of speed traps in the suburbs, but never in the central city, where enforcement against drivers are also mostly blitzes and RIDE checks. The OPP do a lot of random seatbelt, cellphone and safety visual checks, mostly on on-ramps to 400-series highways, I'd like to see more random, unpublicized spotchecks to enforce everybody's behaviour, but want to focus on the bigger things like red lights (my number one problem with bad cyclists), streetcar doors (Doug Ford has a problem with these), illegal turns (mostly motorists in this case) than half-assed silly crackdowns on rolling stops at 4 ways. As long as either cars or cyclists yield and stop to cede right-of-way at 4-ways, I don't have a big problem with a dead slow "rolling stop" (but certainly not a blow-through) for either type of vehicle.

My bike is already registered with the police as a theft-prevention measure - that's a free service, available online, and they mail you out a confirmation letter and sticker. I have a full G licence and do drive occasionally. I'm licenced and registered, so no matter what, it won't be a problem for me. And how would this be enforced? I could just see checkpoints at Marie Curtis Park on the waterfront trail for blocking cyclists from entering from Mississauga without paying the Ford tax. And how much easier would it be to identify a cyclist colliding with a pedestrian by a tiny plate or medallion, if there is actually one affixed? Those few hit-and-run cyclists have been caught - the one who killed the pedestrian on Finch (who stayed on scene) was identified, charged and likely facing civil suits.

Again, only the Sun is pushing this issue. No mention elsewhere. It's not going to happen.

Last edited:
I know a this would create a loophole however, I always thought why not "license" or "register" those cyclists that use their bikes as their only mode of transportation? This could separate the leisurely cyclists from the commuter cyclist. I also had a thought that if cyclists pay a sort of "user-fee" that those "fees" could essentially be used for bike infrastructure within the city.

Any thoughts?
Just brainstorming...

How would you enforce this? What constitutes a leisurely cyclist? How can you prove someone is a leisurely cyclist?
Assuming someone did bike everyday to work and back, to stores and groceries and so on. How can the city really know that this person actually uses his bike as his/her main mode of transportation?
Didn't LA actually have a bike registration program and canceled it because it was costing more money to run the program then it actually brought in for the city?

So the city gives the cops more money and now wants to spend more money on this? Oh boy.

How would you enforce this? What constitutes a leisurely cyclist? How can you prove someone is a leisurely cyclist?
Assuming someone did bike everyday to work and back, to stores and groceries and so on. How can the city really know that this person actually uses his bike as his/her main mode of transportation?
Didn't LA actually have a bike registration program and canceled it because it was costing more money to run the program then it actually brought in for the city?

So the city gives the cops more money and now wants to spend more money on this? Oh boy.

Well like I said Thanos, it was just a thought. Hoping that someone could take it an expand on it as I have no idea what it would take to implement this type of "registry". You bring up some solid rebuttal points, which I've thought of as well. I mean it's easy to spot a motorist, it's easy to spot a transit user - but a "commuter cyclist" is hard to spot and hard to define.

What a waste of air by loons named Blair and Nunziata. Does she not know T.O. is in deficit and all this talk about "licensing" cyclist? How much more does Ford "administration" need to feed already-bloated police services? And will there be TSA-style border guards at Etobicoke Creek to search and grope me in order to cycle across the bridge?

It looks like Ford is what is equivalent of Obama - it's full of jovial speeches that has no substance in it!

Last edited:
I see lots of speed traps in the suburbs, but never in the central city...

Actually, I’m aware of two regular speed traps downtown. One is set up at random times on Richmond east of Parliament, covering the westbound traffic, most of which I assume is coming off the DVP and still velocitized. The other I see every Sunday I choose to walk across the Viaduct for brunch on the Danforth. They’re always set up at the east end, covering the eastbound traffic.

Motorists are required to be licenced b/c of the huge social costs of automobile use.

Cyclists do not carry the same social costs and therefore should not be licenced.

And besides, as many have already said, bicycle licencing systems have been tried in many jurisdications and they failed...it seems like the right in this country - whether it be the federal conservative crime bill or this or a return to 1950's planning - are feeling awful nostalgic for the way things used to be.

"I think that is something that we need to look at because of the number of fatalities we have on the streets," Nunziata told the Sun following the meeting.

I'd like to see where this guy got his numbers. I can't find anything online right now, but something tells me there are more Toronto councilors trying to make a name for themselves by focusing on populist wedge issues than there are Torontonians killed by cyclists.

Besides, licensing is done by the province. The courts will strike this law down before the ink dries.

Also wanted to point out that since I started riding my new e-bike to class a few times per week, I'll stop at yellow lights while 2 or 3 cars blast through the yellow and even red. If we forced cyclists into cars like Big Oil wants its right winged politicians to do for them, then you could increase that number to 5 or 6.

Those bad cyclists riding their 20 pound bikes would just be bad drivers controlling 2000 pound cars. Think about that for a second...

I have to license my two indoor cats and they use NO city services and are never outside of my home. Costs me 30 bucks a year. Makes me think that we should license children if you keep them in your home. I digressed. I have lived all over the province. As a child, I distinctly remember my mom taking me to buy my 5 dollar "license plate" for my bike. Wasn't such a big deal. Cyclists have chosen to "decide" when they are "vehicles" and when they are "pedestrians"....they can't have it both ways. Not all cyclists ignore the rules of the road, but from my experience the vast majority do. I hate having a bell sounded at me to move out of their way on the sidewalk. I hate trying to make a right turn in my car and having some cyclist race up beside me and cut me off. If you want to use the road...."stay in order" to proceed. I have many complaints about cyclists which I won't list now. I was one for many years. I followed the rules of the road to a tee, I don't see cyclists doing that now. I also have heard many stories of cyclists committing crimes against cars and racing off...unable to be unidentified. I say...BRING IT ON...IT'S OVERDUE!

Motorists are required to be licenced b/c of the huge social costs of automobile use.

Cyclists do not carry the same social costs and therefore should not be licenced.

I'm not sure of what "social cost" is exactly but isn't this thread about licence plates on bikes, not bikers?

Motorists are required to prove that they are physically capable of driving a vehicle and know the rules of the road, hence their licence.
Motor vehicles are licenced to pay part of the cost of the roads they drive on and to establish ownership and liability issues.

Why shouldn't bicycles be plated to pay part of the cost of the roads they drive on and to establish ownership and liability issues?

Cost effectiveness is dependant on the fee charged, the City had no problem slapping an additional $60 or so on an automobile registration simply because it was easy, they didn't care where and when you drove the car or if you drove it at all. They should have no problem making bicycle registration cost effective if not a profitable matter.

Last edited:

Back